Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Alps weather, right now, at the moment……it's…….
  • wallop

Sat on the Chunnel now, on our way to White Room for a week then Bourg for a week. Forecast looks slightly better for next week.

twohats
    Free Member

Setting off for Les Arcs tonight and indeed the weather is looking pretty good for next week!
    A couple of days of fine weather and the trails will be back to normal.

BlueGibber
    Free Member

Weather looking up for next week
    http://www.meteoblue.com/en/france/weather-morzine?day=3

13th year to the PDS and we get some rain each year. A few years back I think I rode 3 days out of 8 and was head to toe mud on all of those. Plus side is that 1) if you have a car you can drive to La Thuile where the weather can be better, and 2) Bar Robinson opens at around 1300 to get properly Mutziged so you don’t really care.

Got the swamp things ready to put on the bikes

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Looks like our decision to ride the Passportes on Friday was a stroke of genius. 90 miles on almost completely dry and unmolested trails.

vinnyeh

Looks like our decision to ride the Passportes on Friday was a stroke of genius. 90 miles on almost completely dry and unmolested trails.

Bloody hell, 90 miles is a very impressive haul for a day in the Alps, even lift assisted.

D0NK

90miles of along/downhill?

lucien

We’ve taken an executive decision (or total madness) and have just booked a campsite and hotel extravaganza in Vallnord for the next 10 days. We will be driving from the rain soaked alps, 1st thing tomorrow and sunday, and then leaving a week Friday……I’m either mad or it’s a stroke of genius – not sue yet
    😯

Speeder

I’ve always been really lucky with the weather over there. The worst I had was a whole day of heavy rain which happened to coincide with a pair of broken 888s in our party so we took the day off and went for a drive to Chamonix to purchase some new internals. next day iot was sunny and very much dry enough to drive. Other than that day I’ve just had a but of drizzle on one day but I do tend to go out in late August when either the weather’s better or I’ve just been very fortunate.

Hope the weather turns for all out there it must be pretty demoralizing to be in a mud bath, some of that stuff it pretty slick when damp and the steep bits take on a whole new dimension.

jameso

i’m surprised just how short they are considering the vertical drop.

Fair comment, but they do seem longer than most UK surfaced trails or steeper for similar length. It’s the steepness that introduces the braking bumps etc where many UK trail-centres have a flowing dip+rise that can make braking less of an issue.

i suspect that the French don’t build surfaced trails because they know they don’t have to, we’ll go anyway.

Agreed. TBH I like the more natural feel of some of the trails there anyway, riding on gravel and chip stone when the surrounding area is dirt just feels odd, despite the good surface.

jameso

Any type of purpose built mtb trail in France is rare enough over the whole country, let alone a surfaced one.

There’s a lot of great VTT Pistes tho, I expect there’s so many and they’re well spread out so the pressure on them is nothing like Afan or GT. So no need to surface them.
    OT ramble.. Best riding I’ve ever done was a point-to-point 10 dayer just riding in a southerly direction following a long-distance GR route and diverting onto whatever looked good that was in the general area. So many VTT signs to try and rarely stuck on anything less than ‘good to very good’. Rode many fantastic trails in areas you’d not go for a week, but for a day – amazing stuff.

the weather in the Ecrin and generally the Alps south of Grenoble.

Agreed – The areas between Briancon and the northern Haute Provence are full of great riding, just a shame you can’t do such an easy-access week there like you can in Morzine / Cham. If you wanted to and were happy w/o the chair lifts, Alpsun (Helen Laundon) in Vallouise would be a good tip – GPX files and local guide contacts there.

pt81
    Free Member

You wont regret it Lucien.

lucien

pt81 – Member
    You wont regret it Lucien.

POSTED 26 SECONDS AGO #
    That’s exactly the encouragement I needed – Hotel booked (even though we are in Motorhome) as it was mega cheap €600 for half board, for 2, for 12 nights!!!
    Planning on the mega drive back 2 weeks today, for a Sat eve crossing…and hopefully loads of Andorra dust on the bikes.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Late august – Autumn is the time to go to the alps. Mid summer is always wet..

godzilla
    Free Member

Pissed down yesterday in Les Arcs, drove over the St Bernard pass and the snow was laying, by Le Thuile it was dry and by the time we got to Pila we where shredding dust and regretting not packing sun lotion.
    Nobody in Les Arcs belived us, right now it’s sunny.

wallop

I retract my earlier statement the weather next week – looks like the rain will be sticking around for a couple of days longer!

mgig
    Free Member

Just returned last night from a week riding in La Thuile, La Rosiere and Morzine. The latter in solid 4 days of heave rain. All trails are mega muddy with huge braking bumps. Saying that we had bags of fun – you just need to be prepared. Note there are no waterproof gloves to be bough in Morzine or Les Gets anymore 🙂
    If you going get yourself proper tyres, waterproof overall, lots of gloves, waterproof socks, spare shoes and have fun!

Cheers
    Michal

oliverracing

oh dear, I hope the weather improves as I’m about to set off from Oxfordshire to cycle to Slovenia over the next 2.5 weeks! well I guess I’ll pack extra wet weather gear!

Tracey

Abigale is sat in Geneva airport waitinw to be picked up after an early flight from Luton and the report is sunny, lets hope it stays like that

stevomcd
    Free Member

Aye, it’s been a bit minging the past few days. We ducked and dived, re-organised a bit and made the best of it. Only got properly wet on Monday and that was a on a guides’ “extra run to check out a trail” after everyone else was safely back at the chalet. New trail didn’t work out and we had to do a LOT of pushing back out while it p*ssed down. I’ve had drier baths.

Went to Pila on Thursday while it was snowing on the French side. Dry and dusty! Looks scorchio for next week, so normal service is being resumed.

Oh, and the French don’t build properly surfaced MTB trails because they have no **** idea how to do so.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh, and the French don’t build properly surfaced MTB trails because they have no **** idea how to do so.

But I reckon the old farmers who made the trails at the back of your place Stevo knew how to do it 🙂

samcamsdad

Megavalanche women’s and challenger event was grim this morning, started in a snow storm! But heavy rain lower down, bloody freezing everywhere.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Megavalanche women’s and challenger event was grim this morning, started in a snow storm! But heavy rain lower down, bloody freezing everywhere.

I was meant to be riding the challenger today. Decided to stay in bed. In fact I’m still there now

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s been proper grim rain all day in Alpe D’Huez. So much so I refused to go & cheer on friends racing the challenger. Had a lazy day in the hotel spa!

Little bit apprehensive of what’s going to happen for the main race tomorrow. No idea where it’s going to start from, if the course changes down to Oz are still in effect, the weather etc. I’ve not ridden the main track this year, as the weather hasn’t allowed us to get up to the top & the bottom half has been unrideable for the most part. Racing it blind on Sunday isn’t ideal…

unklehomered
    Free Member

meanwhile in Yorkshire… 😆

nickdavies

Someone out in haute savoie ordered a chainring bolt from CRC, and they posted it in a box so big it contained our entire climate

Well considering it’s hot and sunny here at the moment and it would take CRC 2 weeks to deliver a chain ring bolt to England, let alone France – it should be reet when I turn up at the end of the month! 🙂

lucien

Done it – we’ve moved – took around 11 hours in saturday traffic, toll queues (thank god we got a tag) and a couple of stops – about 600 miles in all, with MH and kit. It’s hot, sunny, dusty and dry and we are riding VAllnord tomorrow for a few days. It was raining until way past Valence, proper grim.
    Good luck to all those heading out there – not sure what the forecast holds….

duff
    Free Member

Forecast seems to be improving for the coming week, sunny Tuesday – Friday if it’s correct. I’m heading out Tues so hope it dries out fairly quickly!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Forecast for the Tarentaise is a wee bit cloudy (but dry) over the weekend, then hot and sunny.

twohats
    Free Member

Les Arcs was awesome today!
    Trails wet but fun with some muddy sections. lots of trails drying out quickly.
    Very cloudy start but ended the day with beers in the sun! still clear now.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

D0NK – Member
    90miles of along/downhill?

Dropped off at Lindarets at 8am. Pushed up over the ridge and rolled the road to Morgins to collect my entry pack. Two laps of the Lindarets – Chatel – Champery loop with a couple of the more fun runs repeated, big push up near Torgon after missing a sign late in the day then road from Chatel up the valley to get the Pierre Longue and Rochessons to the top of the ridge at closing time to roll back through Lindarets and Morzine then down to St Jean d’Aulps where I was staying.

johnhe

Anyone out today (Monday 14th)? Have the trails dried out much, or are they still a muddy mess?

timidwheeler

Tignes/Val D’isere starting to dry out. There is stil a bit of snow in the Borsat area and a couple of trails are still closed.
    But.. it is considerably better than it was.

timpol
    Free Member

In Mozine at the moment, sunny with little rain over the last few days but the trails are not good at all. Went over to chatel yesterday and all the blacks are shut, the best we found was the super morzine black seemed to run well apart from the top.

thegman67

Arrived yesterday and went up and done the Pleney. Avoid at all cost unless you like a mudfest having to pedal going downhill unless you like that. kind of thing

twohats
    Free Member

Les Arcs is drying out nicely, no rain for last 2 days, all the exposed trails are dry. The runs in the woods are greasy with a few muddy spots but no means a mud bath.
    glorious sunshine here too at the moment which is set for the week.

stevomcd
    Free Member

timidwheeler – check out the singletrack around Le Saut I suggested. It will be bone dry. If it’s not, come down the valley and shout at me!

Otherwise, yes, all the decent singletrack in the Tarentaise is now bone dry.

timidwheeler

Urm.. Steve. I’m not sure where exactly you are but we just had the mother of all hail storms up here. I can’t see it being dry for a while. I have never see hail like it. There is now a two inch covering of ice everywhere 😆

wallop

It has been lovely in Bourg today 8)

timidwheeler

Sorry it’s sideways but you get the idea.

twohats
    Free Member

Bone dry in Les Arcs and La Thuile, in fact La Thuile is too dry with about 2 inches of dust!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Alps weather, right now, at the moment……it's…….’ is closed to new replies.