Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Alps trip – take bike or hire there?
  • Nick

Off to Les Arcs 1800 in August, borrowing a friend’s appartment for the week.

I understand I can pretty much roll out of the door and ride all the way down to the valley floor and then get the lift back up again.

Have an On One 456 with 150mm Revelations, XT Brakes and Hope Hoop/Stans Crests.

Is the bike going to be up for it? Would rather have the option of just going for a ride for a couple of hours than mess about hiring something, but not if I’m just going to be hopelessly underbiked or break it half way down.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its a mountain bike, you’re riding in the mountains. I would have thought it’d be ideal

Rickos
    Free Member

Your bike will be fine. Most of the Alps stuff is just like the good stuff here, just 10 times longer.

Schweiz
    Free Member

You will be absolutely fine as long as everything is well maintained. Far better to ride a bike that you are familiar with and comfortable on.

Just because you are in the Alps, doesn’t mean that you have to ride a downhill bike. There are all sorts of trails there, including ones like those in your local woods but just longer, bigger and hopefully better.

joolsburger
    Free Member

In my experience you can ride pretty much any decent bike in the Alps. Hire isn’t cheap but they do have some nice ones in 1800. Personally I’d rather ride a bike I knew and was used to than something new to me. As for the rest if you can ride mixed terrain now on your on-one the Alps is just the same there’s just more of it. Just make sure your brakes are up to the job especially if you are a bit tentative as the downs are very very long and if you’re on the brakes they will get hot!

Go to the l’ancolie in Peisex Nancroix for dinner it’s the best food imaginable.

scud
    Free Member

As the above say, there is a very large variety of riding there. Many of our group last year rode hardtails, you may feel a bit more battered at the end of the day but you’ll be fine.

I’d just make sure you run tyres with a strong sidewall, DH tubes or tubeless, maybe slightly larger brake rotors and make sure your brakes are working A1 before you go and enjoy!

johnhe

Your bike is absolutely fine, but if you plan to bike a lot, you will have much more fun on a full susser. I’ve ridden both in the alps, but full suss allows you to chill and sit down a bit on the fire roads, rather than having to stand on everything. For a ride of only a couple of hours it won’t matter, but if you plan to ride all day, you’ll feel much better after a day on a full suss bike.

Hiring a decent bike is very expensive though. If you’re fit enough, the 456 would be great fun.

hora
    Free Member

I bought a secondhand Enduro SX frame, built it myself and stripped/sold afterwards.

It only works if you are capable of building a bike though.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Also well worth employing a guide if you can as the best trails are hard to find. Although you could spend all day on the VVT course and have a great time just doing that.

MarkiMark
    Free Member

Agree with most comments. I too have a 456 with Fox Talas 150s and I would have no problem taking it to the alps. I have ridden around Chamonix (not on the 456) and believe I would have enjoyed it more on the 456 because I know it so well and exactly how it will react to situations. If you hire a susser you have to spend time getting used it a strange bike.

MarkiMark
    Free Member

Sorry, just add another note, make sure you have tyres (rear especially) with big volume and that will give you a bit of cushion.

johnhe

That’s true- id rather ride your 456 with a set of 2.5 tyres than an xc susser with skinny tyres. You could take your bike and ride it most days, but rent a full suss bike for a single day and see what you think. I’m not fussed on hiring bikes, I admit, since I hired a couple of clunkers in my time.

Nick

Cheers fellas, that’s very reassuring, will stick some nice tough tyres on for the trip!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Alps trip – take bike or hire there?’ is closed to new replies.