Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Alps season 2013 – what bike are you taking this year?
  • thegman67

Kudos100. The bike looks awesome,when I was wanting to upgrade to 180mm Vans Giant told me the most I could put on my bike is 170mm 180mm here I come.

MSP

Just because it’s possible, doesn’t mean it’s a good idea 😉

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I am having trouble deciding. I have a 2010 Bighit with 66ATA forks and a recently rebuilt 2005 Giant Reign with uprated 6.7″ travel at the rear.

I have tried a pair of 160mm Marzocchi Z1 Sport forks on the Reign, but they are relatively basic, quite heavy, and don’t have a Maxle type axle (we’re roadtripping so will be stashing the bikes in the van every evening). I have also tried a pair of Dual Position Air Revelations at 150mm, but they are noticably shorter, and a bit more twitchy as a result.

We are planning on riding lift/shuttle assisted singletrack at a number of (obviously) highly secret locations. We are certainly avoiding the fleshpots of Les Gets/Morzine. I can’t decide whether to take the Bighit or not, and what forks to run on the Reign.

Ideally I’d have some Lyriks on the Reign…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Taking the 66 to do the Mega, then the Mountain of Hell the week after, followed by a weeks trail riding in Les Arcs to chill out.

dashed
    Free Member

Hobnob – not my idea of ideal alps bike (dual crowns and 8″ for uplifting for me) and rarely post “I like your bike” type comments, but that is luuuuurvrly!! 😆

sambob
    Free Member

If I go:

singlespeedstu

Hifives the only other bigwheel alpine biker. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Was hoping to take the cotic rocket I ordered in January, but alas nay. Still not here, so a hired NP Mega it is.

philhadfield

Taking my Santa Cruz Carbon Nomad to Les Arcs, c/w Cane Creek DBA, Alps virgin but can’t wait – will be awesome if the videos are anything to go by!

tpbiker
    Free Member

what a depressing thread. No alps trip for me this year, definitely will try to get out there next year however.

Now off to gaze longingly at my Enduro…

ps..some lovely bikes on here. Hope everyone has fun 🙂

dantsw13

Broke my cherry last year.

Also broke my wrist and collarbone!! Be careful out there!!

220si
    Free Member

Maxtorque – loving the Zesty!!

cmadd
    Free Member

I will be on the “Slayer” again
    Les Gets 2012 MTB 133 by cmaddski, on Flickr

Bagstard
    Free Member

Maxtorque,Godzilla,

how are you finding the CCDB airs?

godzilla
    Free Member

Sweet as ****! Had a coil and was worried that the air wouldn’t be as good, I have no doubts at all now, it feels very well balanced with the air/coil marzo’s, it’s also nice not to have to prat around with springs anymore.
    Seriously thinking about getting one for the Mojo.

Northwind

Same bike I take everywhere 🙂 Bigger tyres on the Hemlock and it’s alp-ready (well, it’d be fine as it is right now but it’ll be better with a wee swap).

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Taking this to Les Arcs, I only plan to ride trails that suit it.

It’s morphed a bit snce this photo, now has Flows, KS Lev, 150mm Revs, and bigger brakes.

Milkie
    Free Member

Same bike I ride all year round.. Scott Genius LT20

Bike prep for the Alps consists of… **** All !!! 😉
    10 Weeks to go!! :mrgreen:

ransos
    Free Member

To do this:

andytherocketeer

Any of you pussies taking a hardtail?

No Alps trip for me this yr (Cairngorms instead).

But last year we took a Soul and a 456 to Morzine, and survived.

MadPierre

Like Mikey74 I too can not be bothered with the Alps this year…. Whistler instead! (in August – like Mikey too)! When you going?

I’ll be taking a bike designed for a bike park to a bike park. It’s been before and my only upgrade for ages is some new Saint brakes.

Might get a rental for a couple of days XC too?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I’ll take this and join the big wheelers again

Tracey

Taking my Enduro for two weeks with Bike Verbier

maxtorque

Bagstard

Expensive and a little heavy, compared to say a Fox RP series, but very good indeed once setup. Having the full range of independent adjustments is ace, assuming you know enough to twiddle the knobs correctly (which tbh, isn’t hard after a bit of experimentation).

And on my Spesty (160mm Zesty) i am finding i am not needing to constantly re-adjust to avoid any issues like that pesky Bob or whatever. I certainly don’t miss not having any form of lock-out, because once set correctly, the damping performance is maintained across the full range of shaft velocities. Of course, i wouldn’t recommend one for XC racing, but if you’re considering a DBair i’m guessing you’re not really an XC whippet 😉

maxtorque

P.S. I’ll let you know after a week of riding down proper tall mountains in July how it retains its composure after an extended battering!

kudos100
    Free Member

Kudos100. The bike looks awesome,when I was wanting to upgrade to 180mm Vans Giant told me the most I could put on my bike is 170mm 180mm here I come.

They will only warranty 170mm, but plenty of people put bigger forks on them. The important measurement is the axel to crown. Boxxers have the same A-C as totems, which are 180mm. Certain marzocchis have longer A-C’s at 170mm.

It rides amazingly with boxxers, I’ve ridden quite a few DH bikes and I prefer the reign x 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Do people just rock up at say Morzine and just ride around figuring it all out themselves or do you all tend to hire guides or go with companies like Bike Virbier or Flow MTB?

I’m quite interested as for my first trip I would probably consider doing it as cheaply as possible to see how everybody finds it and what they would want to do next time.

dantsw13

Morzine /les Gets is possible to just “Rock up and Ride” as we did last year. This year we are getting a guide for a day to explore the area.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh and another one. I am assuming the bike trails tend to be in the same areas (but not routes) as the ski pistes, I know Morzine/Les Gets from skiing so that would be handy.

nickc

See my post on page 1, my Chameleon, gf will be on her Talon

stevied
    Free Member

Hopefully going towards the end of summer on this:

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

nickc – Member

See my post on page 1, my Chameleon, gf will be on her Talon

Good stuff! 8)

lucien

I’m taking one of these

And one of these

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?pid=5890432239019115986&oid=111358819812974628321

to do lots of this………

In places like this

3 and half weeks, catching the Mega, Crankworx Les2Alpes, and the Tour, with 20 sleeps to go….

dantsw13

In Les Gets, the runs are from the Chavannes ant Nauchettes lifts on one side, and Mont Chery on the other. Morzine is served by the Pleney and Super Morzine.

Try This link

For a mtb run map

dantsw13

In Les Gets, the runs are from the Chavannes ant Nauchettes lifts on one side, and Mont Chery on the other. Morzine is served by the Pleney and Super Morzine.

Try This link

For a mtb run map

lucien

2nd try,

One of these

IMG00228-20110916-1713 by lucien.carter, on Flickr

One of these

Commencal DH by lucien.carter, on Flickr

Doing this

6199 43 by lucien.carter, on Flickr

Here

Trails1 by lucien.carter, on Flickr

3 1/2 weeks, catching the Mega, Cranworx at Les2 Alpes, plus the Tour….20 sleeps to go

torihada
    Free Member

Like Mikey74 I too can not be bothered with the Alps this year…. Whistler instead! (in August – like Mikey too)! When you going?

I’ll be taking a bike designed for a bike park to a bike park. It’s been before and my only upgrade for ages is some new Saint brakes.

Might get a rental for a couple of days XC too?

Jealous;MP you’re back at BBB? If you get the chance bag Mark H to guide you. We had him last year and he’s a fantastic guide/rider/laugh. Tell him high from the ‘weapons’ he had to put up with in 2012 (a bunch of loud mouthed cockneys). We’ll be back in 14.

dashed
    Free Member

You’ll figure out Morzine & Les Gets really easily. Guide will take you to out of the way stuff but all the main trails are very easy to navigate.

MadPierre

torihada – Member

Jealous;MP you’re back at BBB? If you get the chance bag Mark H to guide you. We had him last year and he’s a fantastic guide/rider/laugh. Tell him high from the ‘weapons’ he had to put up with in 2012 (a bunch of loud mouthed cockneys). We’ll be back in 14.

Yep we’re back with Bear Back. This will be my 4th trip! We’re managing every 2 years since that initial “once in a lifetime” trip! 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

24th August – 7th September

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Alps season 2013 – what bike are you taking this year?’ is closed to new replies.