Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alps Road and CX ride
  • AlexSimon

We’ll be in the French alps next week (destination unknown but there’s a nice campsite outside Chamonix and we’ve been to Annecy before and liked it).

Is there a well-known but scenic road climb to do? I’ve never ridden up an alp on the road before and fancy it.
    In theory I could be shuttled, but a circular route with 2 climbs in it might be ideal. I’ll be on a CX bike with dual-purpose tyres.

Also CX rides – how the heck am I going to know where is CX-able in the alps?

I’ll only have time for a couple of rides or so.

Any suggestions?

whitestone
    Free Member

Col du Joux Plane? Basically Morzine to Samoens. Like any of the big Alpine climbs just take it steady and you’ll be fine. The “It’s really tough” comments from the pros relate to riding it at their pace in a race.

wallop

As for CX, the world is your oyster. When you know where you are going, have a scout on an IGN map (online or paper copy from Stanford’s or local supermarché) and look up high. Loads of mountain roads and fire road type tracks. Look for the white tracks and probably steer clear of the pink footpaths.

AlexSimon

Thanks both!
    Good tips about the colours of fire roads on the map. I’ve just bought a few tiles of the IGN 1:25,000 of Chamonix for viewranger.

Joux Plane is on my list. I’ve ridden the top part on my mountain bike when we dropped down a track near there. Only realised because of all the painted names on the road.

Most of these climbs aren’t very steep compared to Yorkshire and The Peak District – as you say, take it steady and I’ll be fine.

Any less well known, but dramatic ones?

The most likely campsite is this one:
    Camping Les Dômes de Miage, 197, route des Contamines, Saint-Gervais-les-Bains 74170, Haute-Savoie, France

whitestone
    Free Member

Ride up to Chamonix, then over the climb at the end of the valley (Les Grand Montets) to drop down to Vallorcine. Cut left and take the road up to the Emosson Dam. It got used in the TdF a couple of years ago. It’ll be an out and back ride rather than a loop though.

blitz

We were staying in Les Gets recently and had road bikes as well as the MTBs. We did a good two climb road Loop from there one day. Les gets > Taninges > Samoens > Joux Plane climb (amazing views at the top and nice cafe), down into Morzine > Climb to Avoriaz (not as nice as the Joux Plane climb but also not as tough) > Brilliant decent through Lindarets/Ardent to Lac Montriond. Then back into Morzine and on to Les Gets.

Strava says 53 miles with 8600ft climbing. It was a full on day!

ayjaydoubleyou

Most alpine passes original use was a WW2 / 1950’s truck. They aren’t hugely steep, just very, very long. Compare to the Lakes, Scottish highlands where we just tarmaced over a horse track.

For the CX, the tops of ski lifts are by necessity accessible by pickup truck, so a low geared CX bike should do you just fine.

Personally I would be staring at my stem/front tyre on either of these things, so not too sure about the views.

AlexSimon

Thanks all.

The weather forecast is showing daily thunderstorms so I’ve just packed my jacket!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alps Road and CX ride’ is closed to new replies.