Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alpkit Singnal Ti…. strange deal…?
  • coconut
    Free Member

So last week Alpkit up the Sonder Signal Ti price up by £100, from £1,600 to £1,700 (6% increase)…then this week put the bike on sale to £1550 (11% reduction)… but you’re only really getting 5% off a very recent price… I know this is an old trick but seems strange logic to me, you put things on sale becasue you ned to shift stock generally.

tall_martin

See every DFS sofa sale ever 😀

Some people will only buy a bargain.

paladin

Aye but if you get it at 11% off, you’re getting a better deal than 5% off.

That 11% you’ve saved you can spend on other stuff, whereas last week you’d only of had 5% to spend on other stuff.

csb

I suspect they’re also playing close to the rules on claiming previous prices charged in order to celebrate discounts. Can’t be bothered to look the rules up though.

damascus
    Free Member

It works for planet x!

I suspect there are a small % of people who watch the prices. Most people come along, see 11% off and think, bargain, must buy it now before it goes back up. Everyone like to get a bargain or think they’ve got a bargain.

It could also be a normal price hike, then the sales team have had a look at stock levels and what’s being delivered and made a decision independent of the price rise.

ampthill

It’s sad Alpkit play that game

For a while I warmed to their price stability

But I suspect they broke the rules here if they used the word sale

convert

Alpkit need to careful. They have gone from start up with some nice good value kit and a bunch of (also good value) Chinese catalogue kit with lots of out of stock issues until the next container arrived. Now they have real bricks and mortar shops and a properly broad range of clobber. Their prices are now closer to premier brands which is no bad thing if their products are similar or a similar quality and supply availability in also the same. But if they pull cheapskate Planet X type stunts that does not help with brand image.

monty777
    Free Member

I was at their Hathersage store a week ago last Thursday talking to Miles the store manager. He mentioned that they had just had a delivery of Ti frames so maybe the price from the supplier had dropped.
    I test rode a Signal Ti and ordered one-it should be delivered tomorrow. I got it for slightly less than the higher price but more than the new price-but really who cares? You can waste your life waiting for a ‘sales’ bargain……

bonobo
    Free Member

I believe items need to be for sale at the higher price for 30 days before they can be reduced in a ‘Sale’.
    Pretty crappy way to make things look better value, but a lot of shops do it.

Mister-P
    Free Member

£1700 down to £1550 isn’t 11% off. £150 discount is 8.824% off.

boxelder

…….or 3.32% off the original £1600. Tells me that the margin they make initially is low, or in other words, they were very keenly priced. It’s when there’s 55% off RRP that I get wrankled.

hopkinsgm

I was at their Hathersage store a week ago last Thursday talking to Miles the store manager. He mentioned that they had just had a delivery of Ti frames so maybe the price from the supplier had dropped.

If it’s a recent shipment just landed, could the “reduction” be the result of currency fluctuations?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Singnal Ti…. strange deal…?’ is closed to new replies.