Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Alpkit exo rail seat pack – dropper compatible
  • damascus
    Free Member

Apologies if this has already been done but the search facility isn’t what it used to be.

As with most of alpkits latest releases it’s out of stock already, there are some other options low on stock. This looks pretty good, a solution to a problem.

Has anyone used one?

Exo-Rail

whitestone
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s been a thread on here about it – but I started one on the BB forums a while ago http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12275&p=151416

I’ve now seen one in the flesh (ooh-err missus!) but not had chance to use one. I looked at it as a means for my wife to mount a saddle bag on her Stooge as she’s quite short and there isn’t much, well any actually, space for a harness/bag arrangement like the Wildcat Lion. The seat rail and the smaller of the bags will fit.

There’s one or two other similar solutions like the Porcelain Rocket Albert and  Rogue Panda Ripsey but they are generally the smaller Stateside manufacturers and getting them over here is expensive.

professor_fate
    Free Member

I have one. It’s a stable unit when fitted but as I’m not using it with the dedicated Alpkit bag I’m having to play around with a cross brace to stop my sleeping bag rolling off it sideways as it will be on top of the rail rather than hanging below – a wider platform would be useful.

flyingmonkeycorps

Is anyone using one of these (or any other solution I guess) on a dropper on a full suss bike? Are there any good solutions?

whitestone
    Free Member

Neil Beltchenko used one system on his Salsa Spearfish on last year’s HT550 – http://bikepacker.com/highland-trail-rig/  the Wolftooth Valais collar took about 25mm out of the travel of the dropper.

I think any system will only take a small bag especially if you are of smaller stature. Typical systems need between 13-15cm of clearance. With the dropper down and the rear shock fully compressed a lot of people will struggle to get that. There’s a roundup of dropper compatible bags/systems here http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/dropper-post-seat-bags/

Edit: I’m wondering if some light rack that attaches to the seat stays might be a better solution for FS bikes and then strap the dry bag on top of that rather than use panniers. So long as the rear travel doesn’t cause the bag and saddle to contact then it should be fine. Might not be the lightest or most aesthetic solution.

scotroutes

Is anyone using one of these (or any other solution I guess) on a dropper on a full suss bike? Are there any good solutions?

With a saddle down and a rear while rising, where is the seatpack going to go?

Thule Tour Rack might be the answer

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-accessories/rear-bike-racks/thule-tour-rack-_-100090

a solution to a problem

Which problem?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve got one – Alpkit upgraded me after I trashed 2 of the old style Koalas on the South Lakes 100 (the buckles couldn’t hack the strain of being ridden off road, even with only a sleeping bag and a bivi bag inside and the pack kept falling onto my back wheel)

Yet to use it in anger, but the concept looks good. It’ll be a bit irritating for occasional use, as you’ll have to add/remove the rail and the spacer from the seatpost and readjust saddle height each time you use it.

whitestone
    Free Member

That’s the one that came up when I did a search Colin. A bit on the lardy side at 1.1kg when compared to a “soft” harness of 200g or so. Then again it’s Thule 😉  It wouldn’t work on plus or fat bikes either as there’s a 2.5″ max tyre width.

altgreen
    Free Member

I have an Arkel 9, which uses a rail that clamps to the saddle rails and clips onto the seatpost, you do lose a little of the dropper but not as much as the wolftooth Valais.

I modified it slightly by removing the heavy quick release clamp and replaced the bolts with some lighter ones.

I really like it, it is very stable on rough ground, the bag appears to be completely waterproof and it releases from the bike easily and quickly.

You do need to remember it is there though, you need to cock your leg higher when dismounting (or mounting)

and be careful not to sit on it too much when descending because it does stick up at a jaunty angle.

tall_martin

I use a carradice super c seat pack. It fitted by sleeping bag and mat plus a few bits and bobs.

It is helped by having such a massive bike, even with the 170mm dropper all the way down it doesn’t touch the rear wheel. The brooks saddle loops also help.

The way I had the bungee cords on the jen ride pulled the back up and it bounced over any small drops, so that is something to try and improve for next time.

jimdubleyou

I have the Exo rail, and the old style Koala. I haven’t got around to fitting the rail yet, but will report back when I do.

Also, how the hell does the Wolftooth Valais cost £25? Mind, blown

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit exo rail seat pack – dropper compatible’ is closed to new replies.