Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Alpkit Boson – cheap helmet light..!
  • spacehopper

I have not seen these mentioned anywhere..

but I got one a while ago to chuck in my bag as an emergency light after nearly getting caught out with a short winter day… a long ride.. and a mechanical that took an age to fix..

And its great! nicely shaped beam and plenty of runtime and light on full power too..

it also fits nicely in an exposure helmet mount!

(it only comes with a bar mount)

davidr

How long does it run for? I rarely ride for a long into the night but looked at this as a cheap way of getting a decent road light. I’m also interested in it for the Exmouth Exodus this year.

Murray

Looks really good

spacehopper

forgot the URL..

https://www.alpkit.com/products/boson

runs for 3 hours on full..!

ahwiles
    Free Member

850 lumens, for 3 hours, from a single 18650 cell?

consider me skeptical.

edit: whoops, reading fail, NOT an 18650 cell…

oliverracing

edit: whoops, reading fail, NOT an 18650 cell…

Nope, but pretty much the same capacity of a 18650 so who knows

fifeandy
    Free Member

consider me skeptical.

Indeed, either they are chinese lumens, or someone forgot that its only running off a 3.7v battery rather than the usual 7.4v when calculating the runtimes

molgrips
    Free Member

How spotty is it?

MoreCashThanDash

That looks exactly what I’m looking for.

Wonder if my mum fancies popping in to Alpkit when I take her out for 75th birthday on Monday?

backinireland
    Free Member

Is it just a rebranded Chinese eBay light?
    I bought a few of these on eBay for a fiver each
    Lampray

P20

Backinireland, you got a link?

backinireland
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rechargeable-3W-300LM-CREE-LED-USB-Camping-Outdoor-Light-Lantern-Tent-Lamp-6hrs/302017328228?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41396%26meid%3D6e4fdeaeda7d4310b1f128a11b21e2e2%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D162325085924

There’s one or look at similar items

I’ve ordered 3 at various times
    Brilliant for camping
    Magnetic or hanging hook
    Can charge phone off them
    Last night we had a power cut th kids took them to bed, still going the following morning

P20

Cheers!

MoreCashThanDash

So the Boson is down to £30 in the sale and I had an hour to kill the other day near Alpkit….

Not ridden with it properly yet but I have to say, it seems a great light for the money. It’s a very tight fit in my Exposure helmet mount. Just wondering if anyone has removed the bracket mounting hardwear from the base of the light unit to make it clip in better? Either have to clip it in right at the rear of the light – which seems fine – or clip it in upside down in the centre, which leaves the charging point exposed to the rain.

Cheers

MoreCashThanDash

Just me then?

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m going to take it off as soon as my helmet mount comes.

MoreCashThanDash

If anyone is interested, a guy on the Audax Facebook page is currently trying to run down the battery on his Boson to check run time. Apparently it’s still going after 6 hours on full power. He seems as shocked as I was. Or maybe it’s switched to a lower emergency setting automatically?

chakaping
    Free Member

Could you update us when you’ve used it for MTB night riding?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Indeed, either they are chinese lumens, or someone forgot that its only running off a 3.7v battery rather than the usual 7.4v when calculating the runtimes

Agreed – a 2600mAh battery, running for 3 hrs, can’t give more than 867mA. Which, at 3.7V, is 3.2W. To get 850 lumens from 3.2W is 265 lumens per watt, which I don’t think anyone has yet managed.

MoreCashThanDash

Apparently the inquisitive audaxer *waves* thinks that the positive and negative on the battery are too close together, increasing the likelihood of a short.

He’s raising it with Alpkit, and asked me to pop it on our thread as well.

MoreCashThanDash

Just taken this photo down the drive. Apologies for the quality, but not a bad light for £30.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I took the bracket off mine and found it fits nicely into an exposure lights helmet mount. It’s very tight so should be good and safe, as long as it doesn’t short out and fry my head 😯

tjagain

its surely just a rebadged generic chinese torch?

Greybeard – minus losses surely.

MoreCashThanDash

The Ghost – not got round to taking the bracket fixing off yet as I may use it on LittleMissMC’s new bike as a handlebar light.

Is it an Allen key or Torx to remove it?

TheGhost
    Free Member

1.5mm Allen key.

MoreCashThanDash

Cheers.

Stainypants

I got something very similar from the aldi bargin bin for £6 did have the mount but came with a car charger as well as a wall charger

Stainypants

I got something very similar from the aldi bargin bin for £6 did have the mount but came with a car charger as well as a wall charger

chrisedwards
    Free Member

I also have this kind of light but mostly i use my action camera on my helmet instead of this light.

TheGhost
    Free Member

Finally tried my Boson last night head mounted. Very impressed for £30.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Boson – cheap helmet light..!’ is closed to new replies.