Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Alpine Dreaming Support Group Thread
  • BillOddie

About 9 weeks until I’m off to the Alps for my first Alpine Holiday in about a decade.

To say I’m excited would be an understatement! Booked into Chalet Chardons in Tignes for 2 weeks of mountain adventures with the wife and my 2 lads. Not just going for biking but hope to get a reasonable amount of riding in.

Is anyone else spending hours looking at IGN maps, resort trail maps, youtube/vimeo videos and google earth?

momo

Heading out to Morzine on 25th of June, first time since 2006, I’m like a kid before Christmas!!

BFITH
    Free Member

Morzine…. 30th June.

Is anyone else spending hours looking at IGN maps, resort trail maps, youtube/vimeo videos and google earth?

Yes! 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some old ones, not been back since
    [video]http://vimeo.com/44634547[/video]
    [video]http://vimeo.com/30210337[/video]
    [video]http://vimeo.com/44510421[/video]
    [video]http://vimeo.com/44791598[/video]
    need to get back

bails

I’ve never been. Would it be possible to go for “uplift assisted trail riding” rather then bikepark/DH stuff without a guide? Or do you need someone to show you around?

edit: Yes, that sort of stuff ^^^^^

BillOddie

I’ve never been. Would it be possible to go for “uplift assisted trail riding” rather then bikepark/DH stuff without a guide? Or do you need someone to show you around?

Depends…some resorts (eg Morzine) are very much set up for this (trail map from tourist office + IGN = happy days), others you would want to employ the services of a guide/uplift company.

Aside from Chamonix who have summer bike bans on some trails, you can just pick up an IGN map and explore if you are fiscally challenged.

With the likes of Strava Heatmap and Google Earth it’s probably easier then ever to do some scouting before you go.

dantsw13

Bails – Tignes/Val D’Isere have marked Enduro trails, as does Les Arcs. This is our plan for a long weekend in July.

Are some of the best trails found with a guide? Yes.

Is it possible by yourself to have a great time? Certainly.

BillOddie

Bails – Tignes/Val D’Isere have marked Enduro trails, as does Les Arcs. This is our plan for a long weekend in July.

If you’re there at the beginning of July, let me know how you get on! If you’re there during the last 2 weeks of July look out for someone on a Green Chromag Rootdown as it’ll be me!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That was all fun with white room, guide and private shuttle made it awesome

BillOddie

Just in case you missed it on another thread… IGN maps

dantsw13

Bill – we are out 7-11 Jul. Because most LesArcs lifts close Saturday, we are planning a day at Tignes/Val on the Saturday, maybe a say at La Thuile too.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Thanks for the map link 🙂 Going to Morzine for the first time on 1st July this year so looking for some nice lift assisted trails away from the bike park stuff!

BillOddie

Bill – we are out 7-11 Jul. Because most LesArcs lifts close Saturday, we are planning a day at Tignes/Val on the Saturday, maybe a say at La Thuile too.

Back a few days before I head out then, let me know how you get on!

ahsf
    Free Member

The lifts you need for riding in Les Arc are open all week including Saturday/Sunday, as for Tignes/Val still a lot of snow up there and more due on Thursday, as soon as it clears they will be out doing a bit of work on the trails that need it.
    The secret or hidden trails as people call them in Les Arcs are ridding good at the moment as well are most in the valley below 1800m.

gilesmartin81

I am heading to Tignes at the end of July, it has only been three years since the last Alps trip, and I am proper excited. I am sitting looking at the piste map as we speak!

scaled
    Free Member

Booked on to Enduro2 in Les Arc in June, absolutely no training for it.

Shitting myself a bit about it really

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP, nothing definite booked yet but yes I look at IGN all year round, I love maps and am a bit of a dreamer 8)

nickc

Going to Verbier in 5 weeks…

I haven’t looked at any maps as it’s guided and frankly I don’t care…

I am, though, getting slightly over excited

lucky7500

Verbier in just over seven weeks for me. Guided as well so no maps but an awful lot of looking at videos on youtube!! 🙂

colp

Leogang a week on Friday, better prep the DH bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been getting my enduro weapon set up for a forthcoming Italian trip.

Battering down the gnarly bit at the bottom of Great Hill last night with SuperGravity tyres suggests that it’ll do nicely.

Gonna try to stop riding it now, in case anything breaks.

😀

acidchunks

Morzine for a week from 26th June.

Never ridden outside UK so properly excited. Thank **** for mates that MTB and insist on organising their own stag.

dknwhy

Kleinwalsertal for me in August. Did Saalbach-Hinterglemm last year and am looking forward to going to a different part of Austria.

scaled
    Free Member

Thank **** for mates that MTB and insist on organising their own stag.

That’s why we’ve got 6 of us heading out to Enduro2 😀

That and the fact it’s the only way i’d get a pass out to race in the alps 2 months before my wedding

BillOddie

https://www.utagawavtt.com/ is useful if you’re heading to France…

BillOddie

2 weeks to go…

Obsessively checking weather forecasts and webcams. Looks beeeeyootiful in Tignes at the moment.
    New kit purchased for the whole family.
    Insurance with free helicopter rides sorted.
    Big pile of spares being gathered in the Garage.

It’s getting very exciting!

Tracey

Week today we set off on our Alps trip. La Thuile for the EWS then a couple of days at Pila before we head further south for round 4 of the French Enduro in Les Orres. A bit of a drive back up to Switzerland for two weeks with Bike Verbier. Got a shedload of washing and bike cleaning from the weekend to start when I get home tonight.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Alpine Dreaming Support Group Thread’ is closed to new replies.