Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • Alpe Du Zwift
  • meeeee
    Free Member

couldnt see this posted here yet so….

https://www.facebook.com/gozwift/videos/840315256153951/

looks big!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

As someone who loves climbing to the radio tower, to gauge my sustained power and fitness abilities (or lack of)…

Bring it on! 😈

njee20
    Free Member

Mmm, intrigued by this. From my post yesterday on the huge Zwift thread:

I see Eric Min posted a 10 mile ride with 3000′ of climbing in it, which isn’t insignificant. I can’t help but think it’ll be a bit shit though – an enormously long slog up, meaning no one’s there, and a stupid descent where you may as well just go and make a cup of tea. I find the descent of Fox Hill bad enough (although it did mean I could get off and get a towel yesterday), and the mountain’s even worse.

The ride Eric Min posted makes it shorter and shallower than Alpe d’Huez, but I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. How many people are really going to ride up hill for > an hour?

weeksy

Only reason i’ll be doing it is to prove i can and have done so. If i were doing an event specifically that needed lots of climbing i may do so… but it’s more likely i’d go to Afan to climb instead 🙂

meeeee
    Free Member

I’d ride uphill for an hour, i often do it on Bigring VR which has loads of HD films of alps passes. But i love hills and hate stuff like riding round the London map

teamslug
    Free Member

How many people are really going to ride up hill for > an hour?

Me!!. I did Alpe D’Huez climb on elite e training the other day. About 1 hour 20 mins of climbing. Will be nice to get on a zwift road with no one on it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It’s ~1880 feet of climbing to the radio tower on the Mountain8 course which hits Strava cat2, so I hope this is going to be 3500+ feet.

blader1611
    Free Member

Yep, bring it on. I see it more as a personal challenge rather than against others. Also living in Yorkshire it kinda helps to have some hill training as its quite steep round here.

mrchrispy

just saw the twitter teaser thingy…..got rather excited.

njee20
    Free Member

Also living in Yorkshire it kinda helps to have some hill training as its quite steep round here.

You live somewhere hilly so you need virtual hills to train for hills? You’ve lost me… if you’ said you’d lived in Lincolnshire I’d get that!

I’m sure I’ll try it, I get doing a VR type thing, but for some reason it just doesn’t appeal with Zwift. Presumably the descent will literally be 15+ minutes, you genuinely may as well get off and stretch!

weeksy

You’ve lost me… if you’ said you’d lived in Lincolnshire I’d get that!

Time, family, etc… Like myself he can often struggle to be able to get outside.

akira

Looking forward to it, supposed to be doing the outdoor version later in the year.

jam-bo

Presumably the descent will literally be 15+ minutes, you genuinely may as well get off and stretch!

there will be a portal at the top to pop you out at the bottom….

njee20
    Free Member

We don’t, of course, know that it’s a replica of Alpe d’Huez, that seems to be an assumption, although I accept likely based on the name..

teamslug
    Free Member

you genuinely may as well get off and stretch!

I stretch on the big descent, I don’t get off the bike – tend to try to simulate what I would do outside. Can’t help but think its bad timing to release it now though. My sub will be cancelled soon til it after summer. I realise its winter somewhere but I’ll bet most riders are northern hemisphere.

Tiger6791

Do we know when it’s released?

zilog6128

This is something (some) people have been making a lot of noise about having for a long time, so even if it turns out to be shit it at least shows that Zwift are listening to their users.

(unlike some people 😉 )

blader1611
    Free Member

Njee20 – family life and terrible weather has meant that this year i have been out once for 12 miles. This means when it comes to the steep stuff i am always somewhat lacking and i have a 34t cassette at the back to cope with the steep! I am also a piss poor rider but do rather better at zwift.

nemesis
    Free Member

Can’t wait. Which is funny as I don’t really enjoy the hills IRL but in zwift I do and dislike the flats

nemesis
    Free Member

Hopefully it won’t just be a road up and down but rather some classic climbs replicated with some turn off points (quarter and half distance maybe?) and longer, flatter ways to get to the start (or a portal 🙂 )

iain1775
    Free Member

Whats the fuss about, its nothing new have been able to simulate all the main Alps climbs with video climbs on BKool for ages

I’d prefer the video of the actual climb than Zwifts computer graphic footage (did a 7 day trail of Zwift the other week, enjoyed the competitive element but missed the better realism of BKool)

I rode Alp d’Huez a couple of weeks ago and did Mont Ventoux on Sunday (9-10% ave gradient for 5,346 feet over 13.3 miles, just failed to get under 2 hours but I’m no means fast and haven’t been on a bike much since last October as I am recovering from a shoulder op 6 weeks ago)

njee20
    Free Member

Whats the fuss about, its nothing new have been able to simulate all the main Alps climbs with video climbs on BKool for ages

Well, yeah. But you could do it 20 years ago too by just watching TV whilst turbo training 😉

family life and terrible weather has meant that this year i have been out once for 12 miles. This means when it comes to the steep stuff i am always somewhat lacking and i have a 34t cassette at the back to cope with the steep! I am also a piss poor rider but do rather better at zwift.

I forget who’s who on Zwift, but aren’t you really fast on Zwift!?

I’m certainly intrigued to see how they implement it. I just hope there’s not a massive deserted town at the top where you turn around and ride back down again, but no one bothers going there. I fear that as said there are better options for the iconic climbs, and it doesn’t play to the strengths of Zwift.

blader1611
    Free Member

Njee20, i think you may have a point about a boring descent but what else can they do. What goes up must come down?

To be honest though how much attention do users pay to the surroundings on zwift. Once i have done a new expansion on one ride to look at it then that is generally the last time i look at it, i concentrate on the road and riders.

nemesis
    Free Member

And that’s really the key for me – road and riders. I’ve done some of the video based equivalents and they just don’t grab me in the way that zwift does.

For me at least, that’s what the fuss is about. More roads in zwift means more variety and options in an app that I strangely enjoy using. YMMV

nemesis
    Free Member

How long would the decent be anyway? I reckon it’s about 2 to 2.5x the height of the radio masts and that takes, what? 2 minutes to come down? Feels like that anyway if you take the ruins direction down

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Will come down to how long it takes really, i like the radio tower as with the run in & descent its a little over an hour for a lap, being time crunched, ive only got time for an hour ish at a time, so it will be something i do, just not a regular session like the radio tower

the added option is great though, more for your money etc

MrPottatoHead

Sounds good to me.  Family life also gets in the way of getting out at normal hours, and I like a good long climb. Hopefully a few false summits to get a breather and break things up a bit, and maybe some kind of loop near the top so its not just a straight up/down.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Will be intrigued but I’ve already cancelled my subscription until next winter.

I find the climbs on Zwift useful for FTP tests. I don’t like using erg mode and would rather mash on the simulated gradients. Hopefully they’ll be a continuous climb for longer than 20 mins without any flats / descents in it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Have you seen the weather forecast for this time next week? You might want to renew!

njee20
    Free Member

How long would the decent be anyway?

Well the AdH descent is about 15 minutes. There’s an article on Zwift Insider with a couple of screenshots and suggesting it is a replica of AdH, but I don’t recognise the bit in one of the screenshots at all, having ridden the real thing 6 months ago.

meeeee
    Free Member

Descent in zwift will be a fair bit faster than real life anyway as you don’t have to slow down for any corners or traffic.

njee20
    Free Member

Aye, true! Still 7+ minutes I’d imagine though.

We shall see.

njee20
    Free Member

Looks like a pretty good homage:

Compared to the real thing.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Easter egg release would be very welcome, last shift tomorrow until next Tuesday, but real life weather is carp.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Lol, the strata segment for ADH has just been rotated anti clockwise by 90°. The Zwift KOM of 56 mins won’t  last long 😆

I was going to suspend Zwift for the “summer” but I need to ride this as my own time on the real-life ADH is a pathetic 1hr 41mins…😭

nemesis
    Free Member

Comparison of the 1. Radio mast climb (just the bit from top of Epic KOM), 2. Epic KOM (so not including the bit to the radio mast) and 3. the new Alpe de Zwift

Alpe de Zwift: https://www.strava.com/segments/17184545

njee20
    Free Member

Interesting, so actually it’s not that much longer.

MrPottatoHead

How does that compare to Epic KOM reverse?  Must be a similar grade but possibly twice the length?

cheers_drive

But no flat or downhill sections like epic. As its virtual why not just put a teleporter at the top so as do avoid the boring descent? After all it’s not as if box hill has a tube station.

I’m heavy and live in the Fens but actually prefer hilly courses on Zwift. The flat ones are dull and I struggle to put the effort in.

dirtyrider
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Alpe Du Zwift’ is closed to new replies.