Alpe d'Huez area, where to stay?

Home Forum Chat Forum Alpe d'Huez area, where to stay?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Alpe d'Huez area, where to stay?
  • Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

Where is a good place to stay? Was looking at the actuall alpe d’huez village originally, but there doesn’t seem many chalets for rent there, mainly hotels and small apartment. There will be at least 6 of us going, so we would prefer a chalet type rental.

So was wondering which of the villages is best for lift access etc not particularly concerned about nightlife, but a bar or two to get a post ride drink and food wouldn’t go unappreciated.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

The village is a pain if you’re cycling as you finish every day climbing all 21 hairpins to get home, which I can assure you gets very tedious! I prefer Le Bourg-d’Oisans.

The campsite at the bottom of the AdH road has chalets for rent, stayed there one year.

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

We will be taking downhill bikes, so it is lift access that is important.

Although I will probably hire a road bike for a day just to do the road climb.

trail_rat

the/all of them , how ever i found you pay a right ole premium to be at the bottom . there are a couple of campsites with chalets further out whos names escape me right now – one out towards the road to galibier and the other out towards glandon.

depends what you want though.

trail_rat

lift access – youll want to be in the village then !

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

We stayed in a chalet in Villard Reculas, it’s riding distance (or a very short drive) away from Huez, which has a chair lift up to ADH for the main DMZ lift.

Marko

You need to find somewhere in Allemond. We’ve always camped, so I can’t help with accommodation.

The free bus (with Bike trailer) will pick you up and take you to the Oz ski station. That way you always end the day with a monster of a descent.

Hth
    Marko

wingnuts

Friends of ours so biased, but just outside Bourg and in the right position for access to the Alpe du Huez and Les deux Alpes.

http://www.bourgdoisansbandb.com

And would have contacts to help if they hadn’t got enough space. Both of them are excellent riders!

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

up near the airport are where the nice big chalets are, stayed up there a couple of times. Roll down and shove up to get home but you can get there from the middle lift cutting across.

vickypea

We stayed at La Piscine campsite between Borg d’Oisans and the foot of Alpe D’Huez. I can recommend that.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

honestly if your doing DH and using the lifts driving up and down the hill each day will negate any savings you make staying the valley.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Alpe d'Huez area, where to stay?’ is closed to new replies.