Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Alone In The Wild – big girl's blouse!
  • squin
    Free Member

I am enjoying the programme, but am getting a little fed up with him snivelling (sp?) all the time.

I respect that probably the toughest thing to deal with would be being alone, but grow up man!

Imagine how he'd feel if he had to carry a 40kg mud laiden non-working bike around 10 miles of a Mayhem course at 2am with it pissing it down, not being able to walk because it was so slippery, only to find that he'd ended up where he started from!

Next week looks like he might be a bit more chipper though as it looks like he finds food.

firestarter
    Free Member

i gave up after the first episode after he annoyed the tits off me . anyone would think he'd been alone for years it had been about 4 days before i switched off.

Spamf
    Free Member

As he said last night at one point, "I can't film myself without crying".
    I would imagine most of the time he is fine, but being fine doesn't make good telly.
    Massive ammount of respect for what he is trying to do, as I'm sure anyone who has spent REAL time alone would have. A different league to Bear and Ray (although I suspect Ray would rather enjoy the challenge and do extremely well).

just my two pen'orth

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

never be alone with Ray Mears in the wild. He didn't get that size eating frigging beetles…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I agree, the constant whining gets you down. Isnt he supposed to be fulfilling his lifes dream? Jesus, he needs to be doing a job that bores him rigid, worrying about paying for the kids school dinners and shi**ing it every time the post comes. MTFU for gods sake.

squin
    Free Member

Spamf, likewise, I have huge respect for what he's attempting – I couldn't do it as I couldn't deal with the solitude (I think the best thing about the great outdoors is being able to share special moments and views with family and friends). I'm just not sure that him crying all the time is good telly!

Would love to see a comparison with him and Ray. Ray would have stocked a shelter full of food, hollowed out a canoe, found an indiginous community and learnt a new language by now! 😉

squin
    Free Member

barnsleymitch, I'm with ya on that one, we know what real survival is all about! I have to contend with stocking the house with food only to have two kids come home and demolish the lot, and each day the pattern continues!

Smudger666

I dont think its the fact that he's alone that is driving him nuts – its only been a month after all.

i think its the fact that he's alone AND there are definitely bears out there – that would keep the stress levels high enough to drive anyone mad – couple that with a lack of food and i'm not suprised he has the odd snivel. Even with a gun, i'd be scared witless.

I would have edited the snivelling out if it were me though 🙂

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

squin, you need to get a gun. I'm packing for bear, yeehah!

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

im strangely intrigued by this programme,part of me fancys having a go at something like this myself…although it does look a tad mental in parts….im just hoping he does get to see a proper bear as the suspense is killing me!

nickc

Hmmm, from the comfort of one's living room with a fridge worth of food and a couple of beers inside you I'd imagine it's fairly easy to suggest that he should MTFU.

Being on your own, no, hang on being the only human in probably a couple of hundred square miles, with bears for company, the constant fear, the complete lack of food, the terrain, and the pressure would I'd imagine make most people have a weepy moment.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i still think law or no law he should have dropped that moose that he saw in the 1st episode…..that would have reduced the lowering of his metabolic rate…..mmmm! moose burgers!

i like me grub and id be shooting anything that moved!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

What I'm trying to say is that nobody is forcing him to do this, he is supposedly living his dream, and, lets not forget, being paid to do so. There are a lot of people on this forum with far more mundane, yet ever present things to whinge about, who dont, and one or two people with much bigger issues to deal with who are handling it with dignity.
    I find it difficult to listen to his constant bloody whinging, so yes, MTFU or get out.

allthepies
    Free Member

>What I'm trying to say is that nobody is forcing him to do this,

And no-one is forcing you to watch it.

chakaping
    Free Member

My take on this is that they made yesterday's show deliberately miserable and pathetic so that next week's will see him pulling his socks up and killing/catching food.

Showing him "on a journey", sort of thing.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I stopped watching it halfway through the first episode, for precisely the reasons I mentioned.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Is the reason for it being an uninhabited wilderness that there’s not enough food to support a population (a bit like a desert environment) or is he just a bit crap at finding food (how much training / experience does he have)?

I agree that his grizzling is a bit annoying, but it’s a compelling watch.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Doesn't an hour's worth of TV contain about 2 weeks worth of footage though? He's still out there and I don't think he's doing the editing himself. It's probably only the odd snivelling session in reality and I'd say he's allowed some.

Another thing that might make it worse is that there are people sort of about- according to the wesbite he doesn't move all the stuff around himslef, some of it is magically transported between campsites so knowing you're sometimes around people but can't interact with them might make things a bit harder.

Also the metabolic changes will probably play merry hell with his disposition.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

i gave up after the first episode after he annoyed the tits off me

I am with you there (I managed about 15 minutes) – I normally love that kind of programming but by gawd!

(I AM liking Land of the Volcano on BBC1 though – great telly).

squin
    Free Member

MrSalmon – how appropriate, he's been waiting for you! 🙂

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

good place to shed some pounds it seems! i wonder if he can get updates on how corries doing at the moment

atlaz
    Free Member

His footage reminds me a lot of the Mark Beaumont programme on the BBC. He is doing something he wants to do but what we get shown (whether a true reflection or not) is him moaning, bitching and generally being miserable. It might be editing so we get "The Journey" he's gone on, but it doesn't make good viewing as you find that far from being on his side, you just can't be bothered and end up watching something less depressing.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The Mark Beaumont programme (the round the world one) was uplifting – yes he had a couple of dark moments but it was in the main very positive. I am watching him on Facebook (he's currently getting blind drunk on tequila in Mekkico) and looking forward to the TV serialisation.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Mark Beaumont's book is generally excellent, not too much whingeing, although his attitude to the police when riding through Pakistan was a bit questionable, considering the risk he was presenting. Well worth a read!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

MrSalmon – how appropriate, he's been waiting for you!

Eh?

squin
    Free Member

MrSalmon – Member

Eh?

Sorry, yesterday's episode was him slowly starving as he moved his camp (which took him 2 days of effort) in expectation of the salmon run, but he ended up catching bugger-all as he was too early, no salmon!

Terrydactyl

But his is not alone?

Who charges his batteries up for his camera?

Either that or its one hell of a Duracell

chris82
    Free Member

I'm finding this program interesting, but like a few others, do struggle with the chap somewhat. Couple of things I thought;

Why is he expending so much effort to go looking for Salmon that may not even be there – Surely he could travel alpine style for a day, before committing to carrying all his gear on the 'off chance'.

Does he ever actively hunt, I don't think wandering around in the woods at random is really increasing his chances of bagging something worthwhile. However I did wonder if he killed anything of great size would its smell attract bears before he had time to finish it.

Either way I'd love to have a bash at it and very jealous of his opportunity.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I won't be watching it again unless there's an episode where he goes dogging with the grizzlies – seeing Whingie McMoanerson getting a big old fashioned bear bumming would be worth paying to watch.

squin
    Free Member

barnsleymitch – Member
    I won't be watching it again unless there's an episode where he goes dogging with the grizzlies – seeing Whingie McMoanerson getting a big old fashioned bear bumming would be worth paying to watch.

According to the Radio Times, I think your in luck BM! – happy days.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Cheers squin (loosens belt and grabs the lard).

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Eh?

Sorry, yesterday's episode was him slowly starving as he moved his camp (which took him 2 days of effort) in expectation of the salmon run, but he ended up catching bugger-all as he was too early, no salmon!

With you now! Still had to think about it though… 😳

allthepies
    Free Member
    iDave
    Free Member

he is whining a lot
    he seems to have no common sense
    he may be a mentalist
    he lacks basic survival skills

BUT he got off his arse and did something seriously challenging unlike most of the sulkers on here, so fair play to him

i'd love to do something similar

anagallis_arvensis

Last night he was talking about playing dead if a brown bear went for him, fair enough no doubt good advice but he was clutching a pump action shotgun at the time. I know what I'd do if a brown bear went for me.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

he lacks basic survival skills

I think thats the biggest problem – he didn't appear to have any idea of how to build a shelter or where and how to lay snares – might have benefitted from a little learning/practice before going in at the deep end, rather than reading Lofty Wiseman's book and seeing a photo of a salmon in a river and thinking "ooh, I know, I can survive on fish"

BigDummy
    Free Member

I haven't been watching this but feel I may have been missing out. Have people seen Grizzly Man? Highly recommended.

miketually
    Free Member

I watched the first episode on iPlayer last night while the second one was on. I really liked it and will probably watch the second one tonight.

The shots where he has the camera on some sort of boom as he's walking along remind me of Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar.

nickc

All I'm reading here is a bunch of armchair critics TBH. Fairly typical STW know-it-alls.

iDave
    Free Member

IMO he wasted precious energy hiking for three days to a similar location to his first expecting it to be like the garden of eden.

he didn't shoot an elk when he had a clear view. tried to shoot a squirel with a rifle when he had a shotgun – which he could also use for fish

he's whining about bears but has a bear fence at night, a rifle and shotgun and probably pepper spray.

cringe worthy, but good for him for doing it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Alone In The Wild – big girl's blouse!’ is closed to new replies.