Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Almost home
  • fasthaggis

Heading back after a holiday or even just a day out,do you have a favourite landmark or structure that you like to see as you get closer to home?
    I am an Edinburgh lad,and even though I don’t live there any more,when I drive over the top of Soutra hill on the A68 and see all the wee twinkly lights of the toon,I still get that ‘almost home’ feeling.
    What’s yours?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Tinto Hill in the distance far to the right of that big long straight bit down the hill and back up on the M74….

Or that big stand of trees on the hill behind Crawford on the M74. You know, the one that looks like a huge cock and balls.

tjagain

Driving / train? – crossing the border into Scotland

Flying? when the plane does the big curve over the firth of forth then if I am on the left of the plane I can see my house

Harry_the_Spider

Winter Hill Mast = 30 minutes away

Heaton Park Tower = 5 minutes away

scotroutes

Drumochter summit and the “Welcome to the Highlands” sign.

fasthaggis

Aye TJ,Edinburgh airport is a nice approach ,and I can see my mum’s house just before landing.

slowbloke
    Free Member

Dartmoor – just as you come over the bridge on the M5 near Exeter where it becomes the A30 and A38. I always feel like I’m home then even though I have about 15-20 minutes of driving still to do.

tomhoward

Emley moor mast

stealthcat

“Telecom Tower” at Martlesham Heath when I’m heading to my dad’s.
    Can see it from his house on a good day, even though it’s a good 20 minutes by road.

ads678

Tinsley viaduct – I know i can be home in less 30 minutes from there.

cranberry
    Free Member

Coming off the A19 going north at the Tontine, 2 road signs combine to look like a horse as you drive over the bridge. I know I am nearly home when I see it.

Roll on Saturday and 2 weeks in Blighty !

northernmatt

Penshaw Monument – means I’m 5 minutes away from being back in the hellhole that is Sunderland

P-Jay
    Free Member

Severn Bridge is an obvious one for any South Walian returning home.

Sometimes it’s 30 mins, sometimes it’s a lot longer depending on day and time. It’s almost a cruel joke on a Friday afternoon.

kcal

depends which way I’m heading back, but if heading out of Grantown north, it’s cresting over Dava Moor and see the Moray Firth. If back up the A95, it’s harder to pick a landmark as such, that feels like “home”.

Even the Dava view is probably 25 minutes from home or even more. Realise sometime how far we are from say Central Belt then. Have friends here who have great trouble recruiting for that reason, they’ll get over Drumocher and reach Aviemore, think they’re nearly there – nope, another hour or so. They’ve had folk phoning from Aviemore to cancel interview (that day) because they hadn’t realised how far north we were.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Haldon Belvedere, visible from all over.

falkirk-mark

I read the first post and thought of the trees Perchy mentioned on the second post, first time I noticed it was on a bus back from Spain in the early 90’s

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.4711625,-3.6507152,4814m/data=

Click link and put into satellite view

cheers_drive

Used to be Clifton Suspension Bridge

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

When I’m heading home along the A77, and Arran comes into view.

fasthaggis

Even on the day to day almost home,I never get tired of crossing the Tay bridge.
    Great views,it’s downhill on the way back and I have been able to watch the amazing V&A take shape.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Seeing these on the A68 from Carter Bar – 40 mins to go from there!

RustySpanner

Singing Ringing Tree:

10 minutes from home….

user-removed
    Free Member

Penshaw here too for another month or so. It’s so flat round here that you can see it from miles away.

Fortunately I got out of “the hellhole that is Sunderland” many years ago and have been happily living in Herrington ever since (I concur btw, it’s somewhere I avoid until some twit sends me a cheque and I have to go to the last bank in the North East).

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Almost home’ is closed to new replies.