Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Alloy wheel balance weights
  • stox
    Free Member

Ok I accept this May be somewhat trivial to some but I’ve had a new tyre fitted to the car this evening and when I’ve got home I’ve noticed that the guy has put the balance weights on the outside edge of the wheel so they are VERY noticeable.

The wheels have been recently refurbished ( he know this) so I’m a bit pee’d at how bad this looks.

Question is, does it matter if the weights are further in ? ie has the guy been lazy and just stuck them on without giving it a second thought?

Thinking of going back tomorrow . don’t want to look like a moaning bugger but I’d like to see if they van be moved further back out of sight

fadda

Not unreasonable at all – I can only imagine the guy had a momentary lapse, to put them on the outside…

rickt
    Free Member

you can balance the on the inner no problem.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I always specify adhesive weights on the inside.

Liftman

On a steel wheel acceptable on an alloy adhesive weights only and on the inside

stox
    Free Member

They are on the inside….just not far enough in for me.
    I’ve taken a pic….I’d really have liked these to be further in out of sight

properbikeco
    Free Member

what brand tyre is it?

Gary_M
    Free Member

So the outside edge of the inner wheel then. That’s where they always go as far as I know and if you wanted them ‘hidden’ you should have asked.

JAG

The weights in the picture are exactly where they’re supposed to be – Sorry.

I design brakes for a large VM and we check the wheel weight position to make sure it clears the brakes – what you’re showing in your picture is just where they’re supposed to go.

HOWEVER – he could have hidden them behind a spoke in the wheel design. Maybe go back tomorrow and ask him to re-do-it. He will probably charge for it though 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pardon my irnorance but how can he hide it behind a spoke if the wheels out of balance between two spokes then surely the weight has to go between the spokes not behind one.

pjt201
    Free Member

How could he have put them behind a spoke? Surely if they’re for balancing the wheel they have to go in the position shown.

porter_jamie

the balancing machine will have several modes, starting with the steel wheel one for knock on weights with the weights furthest apart, then for alloys, various positions depending on the style of the wheel, ending up with just one weight in the middle, using stick on weights.

i’d leave it myself, doesn’t look too bad, if the paint has only just been done peeling the old weight off will probably pull the new paint with it because if wont have hardened yet, and it wont be as good as factory paint anyway.

i always put a bit of silver gaffa tape on the weights as a belts a braces type of thing

milky1980
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about the blemishes in the new paint job personally 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

oh to have such trivial concerns…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

From your original description I thought they had fitted the clip on rim-weights. I don’t think its an issue, though I think the weights on my car are a bit further inboard, but you can still see them – you’ve not asked them to align the tyre brand with the valve have you? I really don’t think anyone but you will notice.

stu170
    Free Member

Quite a few weights there. Im wondering whether the tyrehas been fitted correctly. By this I mean there is usually a yellow dot that should be oppostie the valve. This is because the tyre is manufactured with a little more mass where said yellow dot is to counteract the weight of the valve

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

With winter coming they’ll soon be covered in shit anyway..real 1st world problem.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you say that stu – but in the real world that varys from manufacturer to manufacturer.

some say the dot signifys the lightest spot – others the heaviest .

and then it depends wether the were fitted to weight or uniformity matching.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Alloy wheel balance weights’ is closed to new replies.