Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • ‘allo, ‘allo but for the 21st century?
  • eulach

I remember sitting watching this and the whole family being in stitches – mum, dad, little sister all of us. It was classic British farce, innuendo and slapstick, stereotypes and self mocking. I suspect that it would be regarded as nationalist and sexist in this era. At the time it was funny and I believe written without evil intent, certainly viewed without.

If Fawlty Towers and Little Britain are no longer acceptable, then this is certainly not. (will the swear filter censor “the fallen madonna with the big boobies” – it passed the BBC censorship and was permited before the “watershed”)

So what’s British, funny, fit for the family but in the same farcical vein?

Edit – we’re allowed to say boobies on STW, yay.

Boobies.

scotroutes

So what’s British, funny, fit for the family but in the same farcical vein?

Some mothers do ‘ave ’em.

kelvin

It was classic British farce, innuendo and slapstick, stereotypes and self mocking.

Miranda.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Friday night dinners.

Bit sweary but generally just bloody hilarious.

scotroutes

Miranda – the planet from Serenity, where everyone just gave up on life and died of apathy? How apt.

Houns

Mrs Browns boys

Houns

(They you go, a farcical comedy post from me)

fossy

Found our Little Britain DVD box set recently !

convert

allo allo was NEVER funny.

rOcKeTdOg

Klop!

kelvin

Friday night dinners.

We’ve only just started watching these. Very good.

kimbers

Man like mobeen
    Ghosts
    Zapped
    Last man on earth
    Plebs

Allo allo was always shit

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nothing worth watching now, probably never will be again. Too many people get offended by something they don’t agree with.
    Bring back Love thy Neighbour & Till Death us do Part! 😂🤣

desperatebicycle

Someone recommended ‘The Cleaner’ to me. Typical Greg Davies – does have some funny moments, but bit hit and miss.
    ‘Allo ‘allo was among the cack avoided in our house.
    If youre missing that sort of thing, best watch the old Fools And Horses repeats on Gold. They’re pretty funny.

kelvin

Nothing worth watching now, probably never will be again.

You are trying out a character for a sitcom you’re writing, yes? It’s not a very original one.

Too many people get offended by something they don’t agree with.

If you honestly believe what you wrote, then I suggest you try Dave. Don’t come moaning here if you get offended by it… but hopefully you’ll find it a breath of fresh air.

pandhandj
    Free Member

I was going to reply to Essel’s post with – oooft! 15 pages and 3 bans.but I see I’m too late already!

eulach

Thanks for the recommendations, people.

There is a time and a place for (almost) everything, Allo Allo has had its time. The 10 year old me thought it was funny. The 15 year old me, less so.

Also, boobies.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t come moaning here if you get offended by it

Hahaha, I did 16 years in HMPS, you’ll need to try hard to offend me. (Unless you get personal about my mum)
    Anyway, the biters bit earlier than expected. 😂

kimbers

True story I told a French colleague to watch allo allo when it was on Saturday mornings on bbc2, I’d told him it was a realistic drama about the French resistance

I laughed so hard the following Monday when he came at me swearing 😁

stevious

Aside. GO and listen to the theme tune from ‘Allo Allo.

Then listen to the theme from the mandalorian.

ernielynch

…..hard to offend me. (Unless you get personal about my mum)

That sounds bang out of order. What have they been saying about your mum?

shermer75
    Free Member

Aside. GO and listen to the theme tune from ‘Allo Allo.

Then listen to the theme from the mandalorian.

We just did this, so funny! My partner was in stitches

pandhandj
    Free Member

I work with a Greek lad. His English is brilliant, much better than my Greek. But he said he struggles with the Glaswegian accent. We recommended chewin the fat and still game. He loved them.

I explained the “Is that a donut or am a wrang” gag to him, after a large dose of chwein the fat. To see him work thru it and then see the understanding was wonderful!

andrewh
    Free Member

Not Going Out?

colournoise

Two sides to this coin.

There’s…

Spaced
    Friday Night Dinner
    Inbetweeners
    Derry Girls
    Man Down
    Ghosts
    Motherland
    Uncle
    Back To Life

Or…

Miranda
    Mrs Brown’s Boys
    Not Going Out

I’d stick with the first group.

kelvin

I enjoyed all of those. But Not Going Out should have ended a few years ago. Where as Motherland started week, and got better and better… hopefully they’ll do more.

thols2

allo allo was NEVER funny.

This.

Although, from what I remember, it was less shit than It Ain’t Half Hot Mum and Mind Your Language. Honestly, WTF were they thinking when they made that garbage?

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Have you tried listening to The Goon Show recently? Can’t believe that was ever considered good.

Recently have really enjoyed Man like Mobeen and Back to Life.
    Both bittersweet comedy.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Man like mobeen is good, so is people just do nothing. Motherland I can’t disagree with either.

Someone recommended ‘The Cleaner’ to me. Typical Greg Davies – does have some funny moments, but bit hit and miss.

Helena Bonham Carter pooing was hilarious. Very very hit and miss.

Some episodes of inside no 9 had me in stitches too.

Non British, I have just smashed my way through schitts creek. Actually good replacements for allo Allo… Brooklyn 99 and Parks and recreation.

dudeofdoom

There is a time and a place for (almost) everything, Allo Allo has had its time. The 10 year old me thought it was funny. The 15 year old me, less so.

I think your right a lot of what is deemed classic has a sell by date.

dudeofdoom

Although, from what I remember, it was less shit than It Ain’t Half Hot Mum and Mind Your Language. Honestly, WTF were they thinking when they made that garbage?

But people loved that stuff which says a lot about people of that time I suppose, don’t forget the black and white minstrels I was young enough to catch the end of that shite.

MoreCashThanDash

Wow, the cultural snobbery on display is huge here.

They were comedies of the time, and have to be taken in that context. Slagging them off for being shit 20, 30, 40 years on says more about us than the shows

TheFlyingOx

Slagging them off for being shit 20, 30, 40 years on says more about us than the shows

Exactly. Next thing we know someone will be smack-talking The Darling Buds of May, at which point I won’t be responsible for my actions.

DickBarton

It was a great comedy as it was very cleverly done…speaking English how the French speak – dogs dinner was the dinner of the dog.

Yes it has aged but it still stands as good comedy, just there is far more choice and variety around now that is more about our current times so anything old always seems rubbish in comparison.

I think they have created a new Darling Buds of May called the Larkins…I’m assuming it is in the same vein…

grum
    Free Member

Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

Not seen it for years but I remember quite liking it at some point.

There’s a fair bit of slapstick and farce type stuff in Alan Partridge, especially the series where he’s living in a caravan.

ernielynch

WTF were they thinking when they made that garbage?

Profit?

‘Allo ‘Allo was a global hit, it was sold to 56 countries including France and Germany.

Which is all the more remarkable as the comedy stereotypes and puns such as “if we kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the gateau from the chateau” couldn’t be more typically British humour.

Many years ago we had a young German mountain biker in our CC who used a photo of Herr Flick of the Gestapo as his avatar on the club forum.

He thought constant references to Herr Flick was hilarious. Mind you as many of our off road rides were on the North Downs around Biggin Hill I thought it was equally hilarious to constantly mention Spitfires.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Francesca Gonshaw and Vicki Michelle.

johnx2
    Free Member

They were comedies of the time, and have to be taken in that context.

In the context of 80s Britain, trust me, Allo Allo was really really shite. Though I think it was the famous humerist Margaret Thatcher’s favourite comedy so what do I know?

Dave, on the other hand, is entirely jokes about poo, race, and sex unencumbered by any double entendre, and very funny

MoreCashThanDash

Though I think it was the famous humerist Margaret Thatcher’s favourite comedy so what do I know?

You know **** all then, as Thatchers favourite comedy was well known to be Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.

Both of which are still utterly relevant and on point.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘‘allo, ‘allo but for the 21st century?’ is closed to new replies.