Allen bolt for bottle cage – come loose.

Home Forum Bike Forum Allen bolt for bottle cage – come loose.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Allen bolt for bottle cage – come loose.
  • cynic-al

Does seem odd. cheap bike?

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Fairly common, the rivets come loose, we had a tool to nip them up again, I’d expect most decent shops should, not great on a new bike though.

markrtw

They are only pop riveted in, so just poorly put in when the frame was made. Funnily enough the LBS owner was talking about this happening the other day and said that they do re-rivet a few from people over doing the bolts.

oldgit

Quite common that is. I always put the longer end of the Alen key in the bolt so I’m only left with a short end to lever it with.
    You should get it sorted though.

rootes1

rivnet tool is what you want..

though as a bodge and bolt and a nut can be used –

thread nut (grease nut threads) on bolt, pop a washer on the bolt, screw bolt into rivnut full depth of rivnet, then whilst holding bolt still back the nut towards the rivet with a spanner… as you do this the force can be just enougth to tighten the rivnut up..

washer prevents the nut scuffing the frame/rivnut

then remove bolt etc

Thanks folks. It’s not a supermarket cheap bike – Merida Juliet 40 so £500.

Just to be clear – the allen bolt is in the frame however whatever it’s screwed into has come loose.

rootes1 – I’m not following you. I get a nut and bolt, grease the threads, put the bolt on with a washer in front of it and screw it into what?

Thanks again for the info, luckily she’s away for a few days from tomorrow so I have time to fix it (hopefully!)before being beaten up 🙂

TS

rootes1

rootes1 – I’m not following you. I get a nut and bolt, grease the threads, put the bolt on with a washer in front of it and screw it into what?

into the rivnut (bottle cage thread) in the frame – these are kind of like a pop rivet but with a thread in the middle – they are fitted in the same way as a pop rivet.

therider posted a good link above:
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/water-bottle-fittings

using a bolt and a nuts does the same thing as using a hub and QR like in the park link..

you hold the bolt still and wind the nut back down the bolt towards the frame as it tightens against the frame it will tighten the rivnet in the frame

Si

OK, I’ve read the Park Tools website and had a look around for more info. I managed to get a pair of long nosed pliers under the allen bolt with enough force to be able to unscrew the bolt from the rivnut. As described above the rivnut has snapped and fallen into the frame but I guess that’ll come out with the bottom bracket out? I guess I need a new rivnut for it – I’ll see if the shop can sort it from here.

Cheers
    TS

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

I had some problem last week
    A very kind chap on here posted me his – I posted it back today!
    The real tool works like a dream, so I bought one this.
    Being a Wally I spent £15 posting a tool around then £22 on one, Muppet 🙂
    So it’s not really worth me posting you mine. They are heavy things and cost £5 to post cheaply. £7 1st recorded. Good luck and buy the tool with some rivnuts. Keep shaking your tail feathers as you shake the rivnut out from the tiny welding blow hole from the tubes.

I was fitting a bottle cage to my wifes brand new bike and just as it was nipping up it gave and the allen bolt is now spinning freely. I can’t get hold of the shop for the moment – has this happened to anyone else? I have been known for the occasional cack handed moment but in this case plead not guilty. The other bolt appears to be cross threaded too as the bolt wants to go in at an angle so I’ve left it out just in case.

Cheers
    TS

Thanks again folks. None of the local bike shops have a rivnut tool however the local welding/engineering company do although possibly slightly bigger than what I need! I feel like a right t1t but at least I can get it sorted.

TS

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Allen bolt for bottle cage – come loose.’ is closed to new replies.