Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • All-year SPD shoes you can walk in? + pedals
  • Premier Icon yohandsome
    Free Member

Now that I finally ordered a road bike.. I’m looking for a pair of SPD pedals and shoes that can work from 0 to 30C, ideally less than £40 each. Used to run SPD-SL back in the day, but that’s too impractical for my current use.

Maybe something like the Shimano AM5

Also need a pair of pedals that can double as flats should I need to use it cleat-less (doesn’t need to be great at that).

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

(doesn’t need to be great at that)

That’s lucky because none of them are 🙂

Premier Icon yohandsome
    Free Member

That’s lucky because none of them are 🙂

Used to ride in normal shoes on a pair of SPD-SL shimano pedals for a few years, wasn’t great but good enough for getting around town.

Premier Icon djflexure

Look S tracks have the option of a variety of 3 different platforms
    I have them all on different bikes and they work fine

Premier Icon nickfrog
    Free Member

I have those very shoes on Time MX. The pedals are like £30 and I paid £45 for the shoes a year ago. Good combo. You can sort of cycle with normal shoes but just for short urban / easy trips.

Premier Icon ton
    Free Member

shimano xt trekking pedals are awesome, spd one side, flat the other.

Premier Icon qwerty
    Free Member

I just picked up a pair of Giro Terraduro shoes for £52, Shimano PD-M520 pedals can be had for £20. Bullet proof combo. Shimano also do a plastic platform that can clip into an SPD pedal.

Premier Icon yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Where did you get Terraduros for £52?

Premier Icon yohandsome
    Free Member

Suggestion

Giro Terraduro as suggested £40

Shoes Shimano SH-RT5 aka RT500 trekking shoes (can walk in em) £40

Shimano PD-ES600 (shimanos lightest SPD pedal with a bit of platform) £45

Shimano PD-EH500 (similar to Xt trekking bit cheaper lighter) £40
    ee

Premier Icon qwerty
    Free Member

@yourguitarhero – eBay – a bike shop selling their last pair off bnib.

I also ordered a pair of the Decathlon ones I linked to, I returned them in favour of the Terraduros. Not much in it. No Vibram sole on the Divisions, a more 3 season shoe as less venting on the Divisions too, the Divisions have a raised section over the inner ankle but I figured I’ve never felt the need for ankle protection. Seem like a half way house between the Terraduro low & mid.

Premier Icon GHill

All that stuff about aero gains and you’re considering shoes like that? I’m confused.

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Aero TT overshoes ftw! 😉

Premier Icon yohandsome
    Free Member

Ghill: 1 they are aero compared to my regular shoes and 2. aero shoes only save 3-4 watts at 250w which you can get by using shoe covers if you’re after all the marginal gainz/competing.

Premier Icon slowoldman

Ooh I like those Shimano PD-EH500. Hadn’t seen them before.

Premier Icon qwerty
    Free Member

@yohandsome

Giro Terraduro as suggested £40

Blimey! I thought £52 was cheap!! Where can they be had for £40?

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

You won’t get shoes that work at 0 degrees and at 30 degrees. That is a massive range of temperature for human body to deal with. I use winter shoes in winter and they are still not hot enough at 0 degrees but there is not way I would wear those shoes at 30 degrees.

0 degree shoe – completely closed, waterproof, warm lining etc,
    30 degree shoe – loads of vents, lightweight materials etc,.

Premier Icon pocpoc

One-sided SPDs are always a disappointment from my experience. It’s just like a USB plug – never the right way up for where you want it then you spend ages trying not to wobble in to traffic while flipping the pedal over with you toes.
    Better off getting something double-sided like these, £30 from Decathlon:
    pedal

As for year round shoes – you can always put overshoes on when it gets cold, you can’t take material away from winter shoes when it gets warm.

Premier Icon convert

Sorry OP, but I remember your last post about a ridiculous concept of an aero to the max bike setup to ride around town and why it matters soooooooooooo much. Then you want to put a pair of shoes like that on it – you utter utter buffoon! 🙂

If your riding is commensurate with a cluster **** of a pair of shoes like that go buy a nice sit up and beg hybrid to accompany and forget about the disc wheel and tri spoke you were so set on. It will be great.

If you are genuinely all about speeeeeeed to the disregard of all things sane buy a pair of shoes with a proper rigid sole and put up with the compromises. Because you sure as shit were prepared to compromise with bike sensibilities in the pursuit of speed. Or was it just speed when propped up against the wall you were after?

Anyway to answer todays random question – no but a pair of carbon soled shoes that have chance a transferring the power to benefit efficiently enough for all your aeroness. I’d go carbon soled XC mtb shoes and spds rather than road hoes and cleats for better walking. Get a pair of neoprene overshoes for when it is cold. Maybe a pair of oversocks to look all old school pro to complement the bike for the spring and autumn. When choosing a size when between sizes chose the bigger to accommodate slightly swollen feet in the heat of the summer and a pair of thicker socks in the winter.

Then buy a pair of something like this for when you want to wear normal shoes:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corki-15-Clipless-Pedal-Platform-Adapters/dp/B0714GFW4K/ref=asc_df_B0714GFW4K/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310164787656&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3442149465978435529&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045770&hvtargid=pla-420304941786&psc=1

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

I got a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Alp Divide last year. Worn for all day bikepacking trips. Very comfy lots of hike a bike and walking around getting lunch etc.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/pearl-izumi-x-alp-divide-cycling-shoes/

Premier Icon dmorts

Mavic Alpine Xl? Bit more than £40 though

These really comfy almost like slippers. I ride mainly with flats now and miss wearing them!

On the occasions I’ve ridden to work on my road bike I’ve used them.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

Do you want shoes you can walk in with occasional pedaling or shoes you can pedal in with occasional short walking?

Any halfway decent spd shoe is rubbish for walking, the soles are simply too stiff for more than pottering around town a bit. Even full blown roadie disco slippers are OK if it’s not more than 200 yards to the café then the same back to the bike half an hour later. The shimano you linked and similar designs are better, they’ll be OK for wandering round a few shops if you pedalled to town but they’re not good for walking, you’d never pick them to walk to the shops regardless of the distance if you weren’t on your bike.

If it’s a utility bike, utility shoes are flat. Spds are for efficiency on the bike (and the truth of that is apparently debatable).

Halfway house/dual sided pedals are by and large rubbish, they’re rarely the right way up and aren’t very good flats. Caged Spds are better functioning – eg I can ride flat shoes perfectly well on my mallet DH – but the mechanism is bloody uncomfortable with flat shoes (and ruins them).

Ultimately, buy a cheap set of decent spd pedals – deore or what ever the off brand equivalent is- a cheap set of decent flats – like the nukeproof plastic – and a pedal wrench. It’s not like you change shoes mid ride.

As for a 0-30 shoe, I suppose it depends on your feet but by 30 I want something light and airy, the same shoe would see me with frost bite (or 5 pairs of socks so they no longer fit) at 0 degrees.

Premier Icon richmtb

I’ve got 2 pairs of Shimano shoes with the Torbal sole. They have engineered a bit of flex in the sole that makes them okay for walking in. The cleats are well reccessed to stop you skating about on them too. They are plenty stiff for actual pedalling and still feel like an SPD shoe on the bike.

Have a look on CRC there always some Shimano shoes with stupid discount on them

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.