Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • All season + winter tyres, will I die in a terrible fireball…
  • meeeee
    Free Member

I’ve got 4 winters on my mighty Berlingo at the moment. Rears are fine with lots of tread but fronts need replacing.

I was going to stick some all season tyres, probably Nokian weatherproofs or goodyear vectors on the front, is this going to be ok? Still lots of wintery tread left on my rear ones. Or is it a no no mixing all seasons and winters?

richmtb

The issue is in “Summer” conditions the all-season tyre will probably have more grip than the winters.

So if you put all seasons on the front you will have more grip across the front axle which can lead to oversteer in tricky conditions.

If the plan is to have 4 all season tyres on the car for year round use and you are just eking out some extra mileage from the winters then swap them to the front.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Cars automatically explode when you mix seasonality of tyres.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thols2

matt_outandabout

I have done exactly this on two cars – a move from winter to all seasons.

I put the part worn winters on the front to wear out quicker and get replaced with all-seasons.

hot_fiat

Put the new tyres on the back of you’re really worried, but in a Berlingo i’d expect it to be fine.

Sandwich

Yes backwards through a hedge with your hair in flames first though.

Northwind

It’ll be fine. Yes you’ll have more grip on the front but in a fwd car, the odds of that actually being an issue are tiny, the front end is doing almost all the work. Especially since you’re probably not going to be setting lap records, in a Berlingo.

downshep

Best tyres always on the back, regardless of FWD, RWD or 4WD.

Understeer can be felt through the steering wheel the moment it develops and can be corrected swiftly by easing off and steering / throttle.

Deceleration oversteer triggered by lifting off or braking on a bend is significantly more dangerous as it takes longer to feel through the chassis and takes time and distance to steer, or even accelerate, into to correct. Bearing in mind that people lift off or brake on bends cos they are either going too fast or have encountered a hazard, the last thing they want to do is speed up again to bring the back end in. More grip at the back reduces the likelihood of unexpected deceleration oversteer.

None of this is to be confused with acceleration oversteer in a powerful RWD car as that can be corrected by lifting off.

People sometimes argue that the best tyres should go on the front of a FWD car, especially in winter to assist with pulling away. Whilst this helps in that particular circumstance, the far greater danger still lies in negotiating bends, especially when decelerating.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘All season + winter tyres, will I die in a terrible fireball…’ is closed to new replies.