Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • All round rear tyre
  • shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

In 29er flavour. Does such a thing exist? Asking after  Spesh Ground Controls tried to kill me today. Positively allergic to a bit of slop, up and down. Much of my local riding is loamy and rooty but there’s a fair bit of gravel and tarmac in between too. Max 2.3 due to my frame, ideally sub 900g with decent sidewalls.

matt_outandabout

XR4 would be my choice.

sillyoldman

Minion DHR2 would be my pick.

chakaping
    Free Member

New Hans Dampf is my current fave all-rounder.

Might be 2.35in in smallest version though

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

XR4 looks decent. The others maybe a bit too grippy v rolling resistance. Anyone used a Spesh Purgatory on the back. Had one up front and wasn’t overly enamoured with it.

Northwind

DHR2 is my do anything tyre, it’s not super fast but it’s not super slow and it works. I’ve never bothered to get an inbetweener for between that and the rock razor (which I’m totally happy with on the back for slithering around tweed valley offpiste for most of the year) but if I did, it’d probably be the WTB Trailboss.

Purgatory is shit. Just as slow as the Butcher, miles less grip, totally pointless. Ground Controls aren’t great either.

In conclusion- fit some random tyre and convince yourself it’s great. Acronyms may help.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Running a spesh eliminator grid 2.3. It’s not bad.

djflexure

Just gone for an Ikon

pipm1
    Free Member

Purgatory is ok in dry gravelly stuff, but poor in mud. Butcher is better in mud. Good enough for me for all-round XC mincing, I run it front & rear.

russyh
    Free Member

Loving the new Hans dampf myself albeit in the Orange Addix Soft compound I have just about killed it in 2-3 months. Schwalbe said they were not going to release it in a harder compound which is a shame as the soft compound (which is great) takes a kicking on the back end of a bike.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Got a butcher on the front and am happy enough with it. For my usual riding – I’m loathe to use the car – it needs to manage to roll a bit better for the rear so don’t fancy one at the back too.

Perhaps I need another bike! One with super grippy tyres, one without 😀

el_boufador

Just been through this. Ended up with a maxxis aggressor Exo. It’s good. Fast rolling, grippy.

el_boufador

PS not really tried them in slop yet, they might be shit for that.

chiefgrooveguru

You can’t go wrong with a DHR2 2.3 in the dual compound. Exo casing is sturdy enough for me and where I usually ride.

samuelr
    Free Member

I was recommended an agressor by 18bikes as it’s what they use on their bikes. I ride the same terrain as them so completely trust their recommendations.

andrewh
    Free Member

Was looking for the same. Mix of trail centre includding some EWS routes, open moorland and tarmac in all weathers. Someone on here suggested Maxxis Ardent and they’ve been excellent

flatpat
    Free Member

On DHR2 now but frankly overkill for non downhill trails.

Thinking Aggressor as recommended above. How quick are they?

Previously on (26er) Saguaro which was a bit extreme in winter? Is Aggressor the ideal middle ground? Cos now tubeless, want an all-year option.

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve got an aggressor as basically a year round tyre on my trail hardtail. Very happy with it. Nice bite when leant, surprisingly good in wet, and and seems to roll fast enough for me. Run it with a HR2 on the front pretty much all year round.

martinhutch

SE3 rather than XR4 for what you describe. Tougher sidewalls, good edge knobs, fast rolling centre.

flatpat
    Free Member

Sounds perfect – ordered – thanks Submarined.

bren2709

Veetire flow snap’s are great can get in enduro and Downhill casings

el_boufador

Agressor rolls faster tHan it looks like it will!

gavstorie
    Free Member

Dual compound DHR2. works well on pretty much everything from dry to slop.

kcal

follows with interest as my rear Ground Control burst on a rock strike today. Purgatory up front. To be honest I accept that most tyres will be a bit rubbish in the slop and just try and be a reactive rider to compensate. Or ride slower. 🙂

They were what was on sale in the LBS — no idea what’s the go to tyre these days.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Purgatory is shit. Just as slow as the Butcher, miles less grip, totally pointless

I’m glad somebody else shares my hate for those tyre’s. Easily the worst tyre I’ve ever bought, I cant think of a single thing it was good at!

I use a slaughter all year round on my 29er as it rolls fast and but has the big side knobs for grip, probably talking bollocks but I find with the extra grip from the bigger wheels you can get away with a slightly slicker tyre.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘All round rear tyre’ is closed to new replies.