All round 29er tyre?

Home Forum Bike Forum All round 29er tyre?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • All round 29er tyre?
  • Jamie

My Ramin came with Continental X-King 2.2, seem ok. CRC do them for £15-17.50.

…wire bead, tho.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

All I’ve got are Rocket Rons, yet to get me into trouble! I do have to dab a bit though 😉

Yetiman

I haven’t tried On Ones tyres but there does seem to be a lot of love for them on here. I’ve tried a few different combos on both my 29ers and so far I reckon 2.4/2.25 F/R EXO Ardents were the best all-round pairing, even doing relatively well in winter mud. £33 each though as far as I can see so not the cheapest of options, but still good value imo.

rewski

£40 a pair? Tricky.

FWIW: I’ve been running Kenda Honey Badgers for about 10 months, I was hoping this was going to be an all rounder, they’re a little too sketchy upfront in wet mud though.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

njee20 – Member
    All I’ve got are Rocket Rons, yet to get me into trouble! I do have to dab a bit though

I noticed – shocking!

I’ve found some Geax Saguaro’s TNT for £40 a pair – any views on those? They seem to review well and got a glowing report in the STW mag….

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

Specialized amnesty still on in a few stores so a pair of Spec Purgatories could be had for £40

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

I have some 26″ Saguaro’s that are great. Out of interest where have you found the 29ers at that price? Might have some for my commuter too.

Premier Icon vondally
    Subscriber

specialized tyres I do like the ground control as a rear

bontrager 3 in 2.25 as a front the bontrager 4 in 2.3 is huge but good overall as a front

Premier Icon snownrock
    Subscriber

I’ve found some Geax Saguaro’s TNT for £40 a pair – any views on those? They seem to review well and got a glowing report in the STW mag….

I had Saguaro’s last summer, great ‘summer’ (dry weather’ tyre. I found them to be a liability in the wet and mud though, low profile treads were a bit sketchy.

Now running Specialized Ground Control S-Works 29×2.1 – A fantastic tyre! Got a pair for £45, they’re super light (520g) I had read reviews that they were prone to cutting on rock easily but I have ridden them since November tubeless 25psi without issue, including the Dyfi. I like a fit and forget tyre, i’m not for constantly changing and these are the closest match 29er tyres to my previously sadly missed 26″ panaracer fires that I have found.

Jamie

Out of interest where have you found the 29ers at that price?

Rutland Cycles.

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

Saguaros are good. Fast and grippy. Particularly good as a rear on a ss as they don’t break away much when you are climbing out of the saddle. I put them on the rear in the winter and front for the summer. Probably good as a pair, but I’ve never run a pair yet.

Not TNT though. The standard ones seem tough enough and seal easily enough.

Ground controls are good too. Get the 2.3 as that only comes up as a 2.2 imo. Ground control 2.3 front, saguaro 2.2 rear is a good combo.

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

2.4 X-King has been my go to tyre front and back so far this year.

They do get overwhelmed in proper sticky mud but 90% of the time they are fine.

If you want to hedge your bets go for a Chunky Monkey on the front and an x-king on the back. Works well but the CM is draggy compared to the x-king.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Looking for a pair to go on a SS, not looking to spend much.

So anything massively better for the money than a Smorgasbords Trail extreme/enduro combo at £40 a pair?

I like ground control as both front and rear

DeeW

I’m liking my On-One Smorgasbord / Chunky Monkey combo.

Pretty perfect balance for rocky peaks stuff for me.

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

X king folding, shop around for a sub £20 price.
    they won’t do full clag winter,
    I’ve been using a nobby nic (ok-ish maybe try a rubber queen next winter.)up front.
    Ground control on the back – great for winter.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Thanks all.

I think I’m on the route to a Bontrager XR4 at the front, and a Geax Sagauro at the rear TBH.

Geax Gato on front, great tyre

Vinte

I’m thinking of putting 2.3 Ground Controls on my Gyro (when I finally build it). Are they reasonably fast rolling? I’m not one for tyre swapping, so I want a good all-rounder. The mud never gets too deep around these parts.

dickie

I’ve been using X-Kings all year round on both 26 & 29″ wheels, but for a change I was going to try Ralphs on my new build & probably Beaver’s in the winter.

I find ground control good all year

drovercycles

Ardents, Rocket Rons (or Rocket Ron front and Racing Ralph on the back) or Mountain King front and X-King back.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘All round 29er tyre?’ is closed to new replies.