• This topic has 21 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by bigyan.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • All new RockShox… everything, pretty much
  • Ben_Haworth

For 2023, RockShox has rejigged the Pike, the Lyrik, the Zeb, the Deluxe, the Deluxe Coil, the Super Deluxe and the Super Deluxe Coil.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

All new RockShox… everything, pretty much

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

thepurist

Any news on whether bits are going to be available to upgrade older forks to newer spec as they did with the C1 spring? Though perhaps I’m not going to be drilling holes in my forks for a pressure release valve!

BillOddie

The cheapest versions don’t even get a Charger damper now.  They get a “Rush” damper which I would wager is a reworked/renamed Motion Control damper.

chakaping
    Free Member

The cheapest versions don’t even get a Charger damper now. They get a “Rush” damper which I would wager is a reworked/renamed Motion Control damper.

Need clarity on that, but it’s weird that they drop down to a different damper on the basic OE models. Cheapens the name. Why not just drop to a Yari / Rev / Domain with MoCo?

rickon
    Free Member

Pressure Release Valves. How has it taken Rockshox this long to get them on their forks? We’ve all been shoving cable ties down own wiper seals for a decade.

Welcome change, but it would be nice if they were more reactive to the real changes we need, rather than all the see-sawing changes we saw through the how Charger2 damper era (too soft, too hard, too soft, too hard, not enough adjustment ad finitum).

RickDraper
    Free Member

We were told the new air springs and damper can only be fitted in the A1 Zeb not the older Pike or Lyrik.

robertajobb

“… a standard hub end cap via a new bolt-in adapter…”

Please please tell us more. When tou say ‘standard’ hub, do you mean a hub like was being used for 30 years sort of standard ? With a 100mm spacing ?
    Or is this yet another bike industry incompatibility fhuckfest with a Boost+something-else NOT standard new standard ?
    Please tell me I can fit my wheels with their Hope Pro 3 hubs that are a STANDARD (ie 100mm width) and a hole for 15mm through axle !!!

Northwind

Looks like good progress- was never a fan of the charger damper and they’ve fannied around with the debonair trying to make it work well for so long, maybe they’ve finally got it?

@robertajobb
    , Could be wrong but I think those are to give better compatibility with and without torque caps. Which if so, is a Good Thing- torque caps might be “free stiffness” but they mean the wheel fit isn’t as good without them. Plus, i give it 10 seconds before someone gets a boost adaptor out that bolts into the fork.

nickjb
    Free Member

Any news on whether bits are going to be available to upgrade older forks to newer spec as they did with the C1 spring?

That’ll be a no (apart from the most recency zeb)

Pretty comprehensive look from GMBN

sillyoldman

No more 51mm offset.

Akers

Very disappointed to see rider choice reduced. Pike used to be available up to 160mm travel, Lyrik up to 180mm. Now they top out at 1400mm and 160mm. Being forced to go up a class in fork, adding unnecessary weight, to get a 150 or 170mm travel fork is very annoying.

desperatebicycle

How long before I can snap up some bargain 2021 Pike Ultimates in 29er from some serial upgrader?? Want!

doomanic

This

We were told the new air springs and damper can only be fitted in the A1 Zeb not the older Pike or Lyrik.

And this

Very disappointed to see rider choice reduced. Pike used to be available up to 160mm travel, Lyrik up to 180mm. Now they top out at 1400mm and 160mm. Being forced to go up a class in fork, adding unnecessary weight, to get a 150 or 170mm travel fork is very annoying.

Are indeed very disappointing.

ta11pau1

All new RockShox… everything, pretty much

Apart from a 200mm reverb AXS. 😐

Yep, I’m still banging that drum. It’s been 3 years since it was released and zero updates in that time… Meanwhile we’ve had GX AXS, new forks, a gravel AXS reverb, flight attendant, etc etc.

chiefgrooveguru

“Very disappointed to see rider choice reduced. Pike used to be available up to 160mm travel, Lyrik up to 180mm. Now they top out at 1400mm and 160mm. Being forced to go up a class in fork, adding unnecessary weight, to get a 150 or 170mm travel fork is very annoying.”

Their reasoning is that the smaller range of travels allows them to make the bushes longer for greater stiffness and reduced friction under load. When I’ve experimented with changing fork travel I noticed that the air springs didn’t seem to work as well at the extremes of travel – too short and you were in the wallowy section too much, too long and the ramp-up was too extreme near bottom-out.

scandal42
    Free Member

Can’t wait to see how they have massively improved these next year.

2023 models are rubbish next year man.

Although…..Green Lyrik want

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Air piston looks a lot like the luftkappe design

penguino12
    Free Member

Bit late to the party, just wondering on the Raaw, which stroke shock you used, 60 or 65,and which air can is on the shock, the linear or progressive.
    When I spoke with Ruben at Raaw, he said a 65mm stroke Rock Shox shock didn’t work as the air can fouled the lower shock mount. Wondered if that is different with the new shape air can.

nickc

Very disappointed to see rider choice reduced

the opposite argument is that Pikes at their extreme travel option are disappointing. I’d much rather see forks built specifically for a narrower range that can accommodate their travel better. Zeb weighs a few hundred grams more than a Lyric, it’s not going to be a deal breaker for most folks.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve not seen much beyond first ride reviews of the 2023 RockShox. I thought there would be loads of interest with all the changes (damper, narrower travel range, buttercups, air bleed) but maybe it’s all a bit meh?

bigyan
    Free Member

Looks like Rush damper is an IFP design.

Yeah spring backed IFP.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.