All Mountain wheel build!

Home Forum Bike Forum All Mountain wheel build!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • All Mountain wheel build!
  • Ive heard there’s no better feeling in cycling than pulling the trigger on a £1500 pair of Enve carbon rims

banks

Hadley hubs – spank subrosa rims. Money saved can be spent on a holiday or nob enlargement.

qwerty

Do DT still make triple butted Super Comp spokes?

Tom_W1987

Light Bicycle rims if you want light cheaper bling carbon rims…

Flows for everything else.

These look tasty as well…..http://www.derbyrims.com/ 40mm wide, 470 grams.

orangeboy

I’ve been very impressed with my stans arch ex rims
    Lighter than flow and yet to find a down side
    But I’m light and don’t jump much

Rorschach

Would’nt bother with kings tbh.Bit heavy,bit draggy,need looking after and waaaay over priced.
    Light bicycle wider rims and sapim D-Light spokes ftw.

hepsta

Right guys,

Really struggling when it comes to a good strong/light all mountain wheel build for my Santa Cruz Bronson.

Money not to much of an issue, pretty much settled on some Chris King Hubs also. So just Rims and spokes to go with the hubs.

Thanks

Matt

sugdenr

I’ve tried shimano, Hadley, 240, hope xc and pro2, AC/WTB and decided pro2 on flow is about as good as it needs to be for AM. There is a reason they are so popular! Tho people insist on buying good hubs and using cheaper cassettes that cut into them.
    CK are superb but unnecessary, and WTF is with all these Kings with cheapo 317 rims on them is beyond me.

justme

Magic sx or st maybe the new enduro yellow ones g

justme

Should say mavic

ska-49

Derby rims on proIIs.
    Hopefully what I’ll build up soon.

hepsta

What’s with these Hadley hubs? They keep getting mentioned. Are they worth it over the hope pro hubs?

I’ve got some crossmax SX on my Five which I would have if they did 660B size.

Love the look of the carbon Enve beasts but they are slightly too much 😛

ruscle

Rorschach – Member
    Would’nt bother with kings tbh.Bit heavy,bit draggy,need looking after and waaaay over priced.

Obviously never had any yourself, CK hubs are anything but draggy, and the fact you can completely strip them for service is genius as they just last and last remaining like new for always. Worth every penny IMO.

My build and what I would recommend 100% is Ck hubs, 20mm front, 142 rear with Sapim cx-ray spokes and the new light bicycle all mountain rims. This will build into a tough, light set of wheels which will ride superb.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

ruscle – Member

and the fact you can completely strip them for service is genius

What quality hubs can’t you strip and service? 😕

ruscle

What quality hubs can’t you strip and service?

None that I know of which includes the bearings and seals so to maintain them instead of your usual replacing the cartridge bearings.

Have Chris King missed the point of cartridge bearings?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Why is that better, though? Never mind worth the extra cash and weight over a DT240S which needs less faffing. Or a Hope which is a couple of grams heavier, a wee bit less reliable than the DT but a load cheaper?

ruscle

Build quality of the CK hubs is unsurpassed. There bearings just last and remain very smooth, better to maintain than having to keep replacing them all the time. CK make their own bearings to a very high standard. Don’t knock them till you’ve tried them…

Premier Icon sam_underhill
    Subscriber

Those new syntace wide wheelsets look interesting. Light, strong, mega wide for improved traction but very pricey.

Rorschach

Don’t knock them till you’ve tried them…

Or worked as a bike mechanic for the last decade or so 😳

ruscle

Or worked as a bike mechanic for the last decade or so

Not impressed, my lbs told me not to get CK hubs as too much faffing etc, glad I ignored them, also I ended up rebuilding the wheels myself to a much better standard. You get good mechanics and bad mechanics alike. I still walk into bike shops and walk out bemused as I know more about the products than they do…

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

ruscle – Member

better to maintain than having to keep replacing them all the time. [quote]

TBH you sound like you’ve not tried a DT, bearing replacement is very infrequent. Even hope aren’t as bad as you make out.

ruscle

Nope had both Hope and DT 240’s. Hopes are ok but bearing life is rubbish, DT’s are better but bearings do give up and the tools are stupid money, even more expensive than the CK hub tool. I still have the DT wheels but always wanted CK wheels and from my experience are better, plus the size of the hubs help with stiffness I believe. I like to tinker with my bikes and to be able to strip and fully service everything myself. Also they look mint..

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

In defence of Hope I’m averaging a couple of years on a set of bearings, which was UK based and easily acceptable to me given the fact it takes minutes to change them with the right tools.

I’d pair them with some light & tough rims – can’t see if Enve do rim only

Wait for the revised ProII hubs with faster pick-up. I’ve always lusted after CK hubs but ended up with Hope. Head rules the heart and all that…

Hob Nob

DT Swiss 240S on your rim choice. CK are far too heavy. They make Hope look light!

If you want carbon rims & arn’t too hard on kit, look at the Light Bicycle options. I’m not really a fan of carbon in that application.

If you want something a bit more blingy than the Stans options, maybe some of the E13 TRS+ Scandium rims 🙂

ruscle

I’ve been using the light bicycle rims for over a year and I don’t mince through rock gardens etc and they have held up perfect and never gone out of true. Also had a rock strike on the rear which pinch flatted a UST tyre but their. Was unmarked when I expected the worst!

hepsta

I think I’ve decided to go for E Thirteen TRS rims, hope pro 2 evo hubs and DT Swiss competition spokes. What are your thoughts on this guys?

Tom_W1987

Why spend that money on an aluminium rim? My light bicycle rims are the same price, same weight, wider and stiffer.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘All Mountain wheel build!’ is closed to new replies.