Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • All mountain lift assisted riding
  • bodie
    Free Member

Right, here’s the situation. See if anyone can help. We rode in Les Arcs in the summer with a company which offered guided rides, catered chalet, airport transfers, the lot. We had a great time aand were ready to sign back up for next year, but…. It seems the French, bless them, are not massive fans of foreign companies bringing foreign cash into an area where a guide is essential (in my opinion). Instead, they’d rather we hire one of their guides (I presume) making the whole experience rather different (hassle). Now I’m all for competition and fairness and cannot see what benefit this is going to be to a)the local ecomony, as we probably won’t be going back if thats the case and b)the numerous british (and possibly other nationalities)companies who have worked hard over a good few years to build up the knowledge and client base that means that they can offer a superb service which makes riding in places like Les Arcs a safe (as much as can be expected)experience as possible.
    My point is, if this is happening in France, can we expect places like Italy to follow suit?

Long winded I know but I’m a bit peeved (should have expected it mind, they’ve been moaning about the ski guiding for years)

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Have you been to Italy?
    The idea of the Italians or Spanish (for that matter) passing a law and then actually enforcing it is frankly as about as likely as a Greek paying tax.

bodie
    Free Member

Yep, been to Italy and loved it. Will be going back if we cant get this nonsense sorted out….

Northwind

What’s the problem with France? Haven’t heard of any issues from any of the companies operating in the area (and planning to go back to White Room next year…)

glupton1976
    Free Member

How can it be ALL mountain, if you only ride down the way?

bodie
    Free Member

How can it be ALL mountain, if you only ride down the way?

different topic

stevomcd
    Free Member

There were inspections by the French authorities in Les Arcs this summer, similar to what happened in Morzine a few years ago. We, presumably along with the other British-owned companies in the area, were specifically targeted by inspectors who had done their homework on us and knew who they were looking for.

I don’t know how this is affecting other companies in the area, but I’d like to make it clear that we (The White Room) all hold French-recognised qualifications and we are therefore completely unaffected by this. On the day we were inspected at the bottom of the lifts, we waved our credentials and carried-on.

We use 2 British-trained guides (my wife and I) plus one local French guide.

bodie
    Free Member

Ah. that may be the difference then. not entirely sure what qualifications are used by other companies. certainly, we’ve been told that our last hosts can’t offer guiding next year.

themoodster
    Free Member

I was going to say, France is still in the EU isn’t it? As long as you’ve got the appropriate tickets they can’t stop an EU citizen working there.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I was going to say, France is still in the EU isn’t it? As long as you’ve got the appropriate tickets they can’t stop an EU citizen working there.

The French interpretation is not quite as simple as that. They will recognise EU qualis that they have assessed as being “equivalent” to their own.

The French authorities also applied for (and were granted) exemption for specific professions. In terms of sport, this includes ski instructors, mountain guides and mountain leaders (and, I believe, diving instructors). It’s not clear to me if “mountain bike guide” is encompassed within “mountain leader”, but it seems that’s the stance they’re taking.

alpin
    Free Member

what about Saalbach-Hinterglemm?

i can recommend you a friend of mine, but you’ll have to communicate using sign language and/or random gestures. even the Germans don’t understand him.
    nice bloke, mind. and the riding is good, too.

DickBarton

Contact the company and see if they’d allow mates to stay with them and ride their bikes with them (rather than paying a fee based on services…the services would be provided for ‘mates’ – who as a thank you would pay for meals and the like!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stevo has the idea – I’d just book with them the food and good riding helps too 🙂

This was going round Morzine a few years ago too.

Contact the company and see if they’d allow mates to stay with them and ride their bikes with them (rather than paying a fee based on services…the services would be provided for ‘mates’ – who as a thank you would pay for meals and the like!)

This doesn’t really work at one point the carted off a dad for guiding as they didn’t believe that he actually had 4 kids or something. They wanted all the passports to prove it.

I’d rather my guide was fully qualified and meeting the local requirements to have a stress free holiday.

I hope this nonsense isn’t affecting Ash and Ali at TrailAddiction.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I hope it isn’t affecting the Mountain Bike Chalet crew either. I want to go back next year.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mike-at-dialledbikes – Member
    I hope this nonsense isn’t affecting Ash and Ali at TrailAddiction.

POSTED 4 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    getonyourbike – Member
    I hope it isn’t affecting the Mountain Bike Chalet crew either. I want to go back next year
    Nonsense it may be but it is the rules in France and has been for years and years.

It will impact anyone who does not have the required locally acknowledged credentials (Not saying any do or don’t you need to check or they need to advertise it). It’s another hoop to jump through but that is it.

luffy105
    Free Member

I was involved with all of this with ski guiding and instructing in the Tarentaise ( les arcs, tignes etc…)a few years ago. If the company is French registered and the guides all hold qualifications that are recognised by the ministre de Jeunesse et sport (or whatever they’re called now) then they’ll have no problems as long as all the staff are on a French payroll and making their social security/tax contributions in France.

If the company barely has a legal presence in France, pays cash in hand, doesn’t declare their staff or hold the necessary qualification that their French counterparts have then bonjour les controles!

We had a few visits in the years I was there an they were always a hassle. Often caused by jealous neighbouring businesses but if they were playing by the rules and you weren’t then I guess they had a point. We were always legit and if I’m honest it did pi55 me off when I saw other Brits come out and take the mickey

grum
    Free Member

So is this just blatant French protectionism/chauvinism? How do they get away with it?

endlessride
    Free Member

It’s been like this for years. I was caught out by the authorities 6 years ago. It was a fairly painful and expensive experience. When it happened to me we publicised the situation far and wide.[bodie]The guys you refer to were made aware too, they chose to carry on in the same way as I had been so should not be hugely surprised by this result. In the end it has worked out for the best for me, there is no question about the legality of my guiding qualification, insurance etc and I am operating on a level playing field with the local guides, which they certainly prefer. It’s true, this is not in the spirit of the EU directive which is a pig, but then (at the moment) the UK can hardly take the moral high-ground. Whenever I bring up that argument in France they just fall about laughing – the UK is well know in Europe for not wanting to play ball with the EU! Anyway on this subject I would suggest a complaint to the EU, it’s surprisingly easy to do and it just adds ammo to their quest to weaken the French protectionist policies. Though now I am toeing the line – I benefit from these policies! A situation BASI and the British ski instructors are now comfortable with too.

freeridenick
    Free Member

should be interesting to see how trailaddiction et al go about their guiding next year…
    sounds like all the guides will need to the IML

bodie
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments guys. we’ll just have to have another look at our options, whether that means other companies in les arcs or heading to Italy.

freeridenick
    Free Member

bodie, which company out of interest.

Tracey

We were at the bottom of the lift in Les Arcs in August when the little French man with his red brief case was stopping every one and taking every guides name and who they worked for.
    Second week was with Bike Verbier, been loads of time with them and they dont have that problem. Going back next year for two weeks with them.

Trimix
    Free Member

I dont see a problem.

Imagine the outrage if some French holiday company turned up at your trail center with a French guide and French guests. Lots of people would moan about it.

I cant argue with locals wanting to protect their own employment and keep out others, thats as likely here as anywhere else and entirely natural. If there were no French guides, or they were not good enough, that would be another matter, but its not the case.

mrplow
    Free Member

Luffy and Endlessrides’s posts point out that they is nothing massively unreasonable going on here. If this was the same situation in my profession in this country I would be upset at unregulated outsiders coming in to make a quick buck at the cost of my income.

grum
    Free Member

Whenever I bring up that argument in France they just fall about laughing – the UK is well know in Europe for not wanting to play ball with the EU!

Fair point!

bodie
    Free Member

bodie, which company out of interest.

The mountainbike Chalet. Sure they won’t mind as they’ll be having to advertise the fact that they can’t offer guiding next year. Pity, they gave us probably the best bike holiday outside whistler.

endlessride
    Free Member

Just to clear something up. I had not realised that Bodie was referring to “The Mountain Bike Chalet”, I thought he was referring to another operator in that area (who I hear is having some grief), I’ll not say who this is – because as far as I am concerned it’s only hearsay. Though from my point of view I think everyone should know. After the grief in Morzine there were a few companies that wanted to form a trade organisation to wave the flag for the legal tour-ops and distinguish ourselves from the fly-by-nights and the bullshitters, we never managed.

luffy105
    Free Member

“After the grief in Morzine there were a few companies that wanted to form a trade organisation to wave the flag for the legal tour-ops and distinguish ourselves from the fly-by-nights and the bullshitters, we never managed.”

We tried that in skiing for years too and got nowhere.

endlessride
    Free Member

Was it a combination of 1. There are so few who are whiter than white it would look stupid or 2. Everyone has a skeleton to hide somewhere? Or more likely they are the same thing. I figured we might manage “The company is French and pays it’s taxes. All employees are on a proper contract in France. If you advertise guiding everyone is qualified (and recognised in France)” The fact is the average customer isn’t bothered. They just want the holiday as described in the advertising. Which is fair enough.

freeridenick
    Free Member
    luffy105
    Free Member

1 and two and….

3. Nobody could agree a time to meet up let alone agree what we were going to do.
    4. No one was prepared to stick their heads above the parapet.
    5. Any discussions that were had tended to either be very guarded or very heated.

it ended up being a farce so I just ended up presenting our case to the relevants and invited them to inspect us and suggest upon things we were missing. That was the last contact I ever had with the MdJS, gendarmes etc.. They left us well alone and got busy chasing other people. Even at those silly road blocks they have at the bottom of the hill, if they recognised me or saw that it was our staff we got waved through.

juan
    Free Member

So is this just blatant French protectionism/chauvinism? How do they get away with it?

Well by having thougher guiding/teaching qualification. Plus it’s not like the UK is that much in the EU anyway.

wrecker
    Free Member

Plus it’s not like the UK is that much in the EU anyway.

….other than one of the few nett contributors of course. No need to thank us Juan.

Anyway this is easily solved. If the French don’t want the brits operating companies then they can do without our business too. There are plenty of others who will welcome us.

juan
    Free Member

Well let me check:
    UK using metrics : nope
    UK using euro : nope
    UK playing alone when face with austerity measures : yeap

And the list goes on. It is an amazing place to live, but the UK is frankly against EU.

bodie
    Free Member

Eu lovers or not (besides the point of the thread)It sounds like there are a lot of inconsistancies regarding enforcement.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Its a bit “GET ON WITH IT” there are local rules go play by them.

The UK gets hung up on EU rules about stuff and misses the fact that the rest of Europe tends to treat them as advisory guidelines.

It would be very silly to offer a product that you are likely to get in trouble for doing even if by the letter of the law you are right. As much as it’s a PITA following some local guidance and making life easier is the way to go.

As said above the inspectors know who is legit and who isn’t so they will just get waved through.

I was always wary on big group trips to Morzine that by trying to heard 12 mates in one direction may end up with being called guiding as opposed to having been there before. In the end we had the plan to just spread out a bit and hide if there was a problem 🙂 This wont work when you have paid to be guided.

mansell
    Free Member

Hi All.

I just got forwarded this thread. I run The Mountain Bike Chalet and along with Sam at Bike Village are working very hard to ensure that we are above board. It is true that the operations will probably not be the same this coming summer due to the french authorities, however, we are doing our very best to get qualified asap. There will no doubt be other companies in the area who think they are too big for the law, will carry on employing guides with little or no quals and will royal **** it up for everyone in the area. We really hope this wont be the case. We will try and keep everyone up to date with any further details. British Cycling are behind us to help resolve this too.

luffy105
    Free Member

Good luck mansell,

I hope it works out for you and glad BC are supporting. I used to live in Nancroix and love the area that you’re based in. Les Arcs is just fantastic for mountain biking and you’re definitely in one of the prettier villages. Not going to teach you to suck eggs as i’m sure you know what you’re doing but try to get as many of the locals on side as possible, they will help your cause no end. There used to be a mountain bike guide there called Eric who was involved in the nightclub. Is he still there?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Eric is still around, yeah.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘All mountain lift assisted riding’ is closed to new replies.