Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 337 total)
  • all hail the return of the king (rugby content)
  • donsimon
    Free Member

And? How is JW a primadona because his team mates stuck up for him?

Because the Handsome Gav called him a nasty name and pizzed (sic) him off and he had to get his friends to help him, poor little Jonny.

Nicholas Anelka? Ring any bells?

Nope

Maybe you should broaden your horizons a bit then to see that managers and difficult team members exist in all walks of life.

backhander
    Free Member

Because the Handsome Gav called him a nasty name and pizzed (sic) him off and he had to get his friends to help him, poor little Jonny.

So JW was there was he?
    “handsome Gav called him a nasty name”?
    Maybe he should havve proved his worth as a player like everyone else had to before gobbing off to the point that he got banged out.

Maybe I have very broad horizons and just plain don’t like football.

donsimon
    Free Member

So JW was there was he?

Dunno, ask your felllow Handsome Gav hater…

muddydwarf – Member

I honestly can’t understand his thought process.

Slagging off your team mates in a bar is not a great idea at the best of times but to directly slag off Jonny Wilkinson, who –

muddydwarf – Member

Thing is DS, whether you like him or not Jonny Wilkinson has been (and continues to be) a huge draw at Toulon, having some new bloke come in and start slagging him off was never going to go down well.

muddydwarf – Member

It seems he fought with Matt Henjak and slagged off JW and the Toulon Captain Joe Van Neikerk. I rather suspect it was the insulting of his Club Captain rather than JW that upset PSA – along with the fighting of course.
    I was neither there nor jumping to any conclusions.

backhander
    Free Member

And none of the posts you’ve quoted suggests that he was there either but you did say

Which suggests that you were indeed jumping to conclusions. Why call me a handsome gav hater? I mean, I’m handsome but I’m not a gav hater.

donsimon
    Free Member

Which suggests that you were indeed jumping to conclusions.

I see what you did there, that’s clever. And it’s Handsome Gav too. 🙄

Oh, and the Grauniad article you linked to.

Toulon’s silence leaves Henson in limbo. A week ago he was suspended for one game for allegedly fighting with an Australian team?mate, Matt Henjak, and bad?mouthing Jonny Wilkinson and the club captain, Joe van Niekerk, during celebrations at a night club in Hyeres following Toulon’s win over the European champions, Toulouse.

Kind of suggests that saying nasty words to JW was part of the problem at the same party where he was involved in a fight as well as saying nasty words to JvN. I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusions. 😉

backhander
    Free Member

don simon, this isn’t about hating a rugby player who we’ve probably not even met (I thought he was good on the snowy competition) It’s about discussing a bloke who seems to be trying to ruin every chance he gets. This has nothing to do with JW, he was just one of at least 3 team mates he decided to criticise including his capt. He wouldn’t be the first bloke to drop a bollock on the piss, but he does know that everyone is watching him and many (I don’t include myself in this) want him to mess it all up again. All he has to do is toe the line and keep his handsome nose clean. It shouldn’t be that hard.

Does this mean you don’t think I’m handsome? i have got feelings you know.

And the above link also doesn’t suggest that JW was there either.

donsimon
    Free Member

And the above link also doesn’t suggest that JW was there either.

😯
    Are you some high flying lawyer?
    All I suggested earlier was that a lesser player would have got away with it, probably, but Handsome Gav is close to being fired.

Pigface
    Free Member

For a Saes you scrub up well Backhander 😉

backhander
    Free Member

Thanks pigface. Hang on, should I be offended by that?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh dear oh dear. It all descends into what would be called ” a bit of handbags”

BOD is the greatest player I have seen by far in 40 years of watching rugby. Henson is pissing his talent away.

Punching a teammate? Instant sack in my book

he is a thick tosser and thats the end of it

Oxboy
    Free Member

Henson was a massive talent, a player of genuine class, trouble is he believed the hype and turned into a preening show pony. Will he get it back? mmmm maybe. I now put him in the same pigeon hole as Danny Ciprianni, they both had it all (in and out of the game) and f*cked it up!

They both now have a massive job to do.

anagallis_arvensis

So do any of you know why Henjak left australia?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/rugby/sare-back-from-broken-jaw/story-e6frey4i-1111116031615

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyunion/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rugby/08/02/19/RUGBYU_Henjak.html

Seems like a the type of person who deserves a slap.

Henson is an idiot clearly. But you read these threads and opinions about him being lazy and disintrested and flash and its so far from the bloke who plays rugby. He’s clearly got himself very fit as his two games for Toulon proved, not many players would be able to get that fit without match practice. He’s far from being lazy in his defence, he works very hard to get back into the defensive line, much moreso than many and he isnt flash he just does the basics well.

BOD is the greatest player I have seen by far in 40 years of watching rugby.

**** you havent seen much rugby!

Henson is pissing his talent away

True

Oxboy
    Free Member

Fitness wouldnt be Hensons problem he clearly lives for the gym. I wouldnt tag him as lazy either.

anagallis_arvensis

and if Gavin said Van Niekirk was an idiot for getting a dumb yellow and that JW’s play would improve if he actually passed to his 12 rather than every time do a miss pass to the 13 using 12 as a dummy runner then Henson would have been spot on.

donsimon
    Free Member

Oh dear oh dear. It all descends into what would be called ” a bit of handbags”

Sorry, don’t want to step on your toes, TJ. 🙄

Albanach
    Free Member

Seems like a the type of person who deserves a slap.

Same could be said for Henson.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Anyway, in the real world….

bullheart
    Free Member

BOD is the greatest player I have seen by far in 40 years of watching rugby

Classic! 😀

BOD is a fabulous rugby player without doubt. But that is by far the funniest line I’ve heard all week.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bullheart, +1 🙂

duckman

A.A, does Gavin still know you are there for him? I would echo what others have said,he had/has great deal of talent on the pitch but is lacking the ability to coduct himself off it.In these days of the professional game the two are linked.And the two of you,bh and ds STOP BITCHING, big parts of each others post quoted,it is like a thread on religion or helmets,remember this is AA’s fanboi site,show some respect. Now what hair product for subs appearance at 12?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Who would you say was better than BOD?

Edit – I was only thinking of the home nations 🙂 Plenty of great s from the trinations 😳

mboy
    Free Member

BOD the greatest player in 40 years? I’m only 30 myself, can only remember any international rugby as far back as 20 years ago, but can think of several greater players! Best Irish centre in 40 years, quite possibly, but greatest player… No chance.

Back on topic with Henson… Took the pee out of my mate Ernst, who incidentally is number 8 for Saracens, when Gavin joined them. Get the feeling Sarries were glad to see the back of him! The guy is his own worst enemy, a bit of a joke if you ask me. By being a bit of a school girl pinup, and posing for whoever would pay him money to endorse a product, as well as marrying a famous singer, he’s kind’ve done the David Beckham thing… Only Beckham has always had the sense to know that none of the rest of it actually matters, it’s On the pitch where it counts…

I hope for his sake Henson takes this as a prompt to sort his priorities out, cos otherwise what could have been a reasonably promising career is all but over due to his ego!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Who would you say was better than BOD?

Edit – I ‘m frantically back pedalling now, as I realise the error of my earlier statement….

FTFY!

BOD’s a good player, no mistake. I have issues with his tackling (or lack thereeof at times) as well as his attitude at times. When the game is going against him, his head often drops and he goes in to a little sulk!

You want great? Jason Leonard. Richard Hill. Michael Jones. Jean-Pierre Rives. Serge Blanco. Etc. etc. etc.
    If we’re going back forty years, we’re almost in to JPR and Gareth territory as well!

bullheart
    Free Member

BOD is the greatest player I have seen by far in 40 years of watching home nations rugby

Clarification is the key TJ…! 😉

BOD is a great player in a good team. The key is to be the greatest player in a great team. For the home nations? Richard Hill – an astonishing flanker; subtle, incredible work-rate, who was the keystone of a good side. Dallaglio (also excellent), Scott Gibbs, Phil Bennett, Gareth Edwards, etc.

The greatest player ever? No question.

Michael Jones. More complete a player than has ever played before. Could have been a back or a forward.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For the home nations? Richard Hill – an astonishing flanker; subtle, incredible work-rate, who was the keystone of a good side.

Lovely guy as well. I played alongside and against him a lot in my youth. Great, great player.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Which team did you play for?

duckman

I played at 6 for London Scottish against Hill a few times and have a somewhat different view of him.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Which team did you play for?

Clearly, you don’t read much of Flash’s posts. He’s bullshitting again.

For clarification, the reason I brought BOD into the discussion yesterday (or whenever) was because I heard a discussion about Henson on 5live Rugby Special when his latest cock-up in Toulon had come to light. The chaps on there used BOD as a comparison because he and Henson are of a similar age, of the same generation and came to prominence at a similar time.

Their inference that when we look back on the two of them in years to come, that only one of them will be remembered as a great player.

O’Driscoll will never win a world cup; it’s fair to say that nobody in an Ireland shirt will ever win a world cup so there’s not much point using that as a marker. He has kept himself fit (the odd injuries aside), won a Grand Slam (even if according to bullheart, it was only a “good” team), captained Leinster to Heineken Cup glory and a few recent hammerings of Munster, a team to which they’d played second fiddle in Ireland for a long time. He’s won games almost single-handedly for Ireland when they’ve struggled.

I’m not putting O’Driscoll up there with some of the legends of the game, but he’d have his position in most international teams of the last decade were he available to any of them for selection.

Labelling any player as “great” is always putting oneself on shaky ground.

He’s certainly one of the best six nations players of the professional era – probably the best centre of the last decade. He’s also a nice guy, a model professional and I’d be happy for any kid to look up to him as a model of how to be a fantastic rugby player.

donsimon
    Free Member

Ugly fecker though, ain’t he? 😉

bullheart
    Free Member

I’m not putting O’Driscoll up there with some of the legends of the game, but he’d have his position in most international teams of the last decade were he available to any of them for selection.

Maybe. Maybe not. Umaga, Mortlock, De Villiers, Nonu, Roberts, there are a few that might argue…

probably the best centre of the last decade.

Maybe.

He’s also a nice guy, a model professional and I’d be happy for any kid to look up to him as a model of how to be a fantastic rugby player.

Most definitely.

…won a Grand Slam (even if according to bullheart, it was only a “good” team)

It was exactly that. A good team. And in the following team, granted with some injuries, that ‘good’ team lost to the Baa-Baa’s, NZ Maori and to Australia.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Chunky, this was at schoolboy level, so many, many years ago…!

Shandy
    Free Member

O’Driscoll is going to finish up with 120-plus caps for Ireland, he has been a key player in 3 Lions Tours, won a load of Triple Crowns, a Grand Slam, and a Heineken Cup. He has been the best outside centre in the world for the best part of a decade. He is a constant threat in attack, he can rip a team to pieces himself or create space for others, he hits like a flanker and turns over more ball than a lot of forwards.

Its fashionable amongst a certain type of rugby fan to knock O’Driscoll and pick holes in his game but he will be remembered as one of the most influential rugby players of all time. For all the strengths of his game, the biggest attribute any rugby player can have is the ability to turn a game with a moment of individual brilliance – he has been doing that his whole career.

BBC 100 Cap Tribute with a few salient points from other leading lights of the game.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Maybe. Maybe not.

It’s all debatable – that’s what I was trying to say – but it doesn’t matter what I say, you’d find a name or a stat to pick at, but that’s ok, if it keeps you occupied. Really, I’m comparing him to Henson – as someone who wasn’t intent on pissing his talent down the drain.

probably the best centre of the last decade.

I meant, of course, in the six nations.

Chunky, this was at schoolboy level, so many, many years ago…!

Yep, thought so…bullshitting again.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Which school CFH? Mr Hill is here today.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shandy, thanks for the link. Goosebumps – had forgotten it.

Tbh, I’ll defer to the likes of Marshall, Johnson and Wilkinson in their opinions of him…rather than the STW detractors.

toys19
    Free Member

As we all know rugby is more than just being able to show flashes of brilliance, its about teamwork and diplomacy/politics off the field which will affect how you play and how others play with you on the field.

Henson is only capable of the first of these, and then only sporadically. So really he doesn’t rate as far as I am concerned because he hasn’t been able to convert much of his on field talent by narrowing down his opportunities.

I feel bad for so many other welsh players who are better and have done so much better than Henson, we should be discussing them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Which Richard Hill, Chunky? 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Which Richard Hill, Chunky?

Consider your bluff called.

Caught bullshitting – you’re struggling a bit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not at all Darcy, you’re the only one obsessing about it!

I was at a school which played against the school where both Richard Hills were pupils. I also played alongside one of said Richards in county/divisional level rugby at schoolboy level.

DaRC_L

deadlydarcy + 1
    watching GH on Strictly (I was forced m’lud by t’wif) I was struck by how immature he was and hoped that maybe the experience would’ve made him grow up a bit.

Given his behaviour at Sarries & Toulon I guess not 😳 at least he’s in the right country to act like a Coq

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 337 total)

The topic ‘all hail the return of the king (rugby content)’ is closed to new replies.