Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • All Hail Hobgoblin !
  • Bruce

Riding my bike through Knutsford and found the road completely block with cars. After I walked past the cars on the pavement there was a Hobgoblin lorry unloading and blocking the road. Seldom seen so many pricey cars going nowhere.
    Result perfect traffic calming measure 🙂

CountZero

Can’t comment on their traffic calming measures, but I’m all in favour of their beers.

simondbarnes

Hope you stopped and had a pint 😀

Cougar

I’m all in favour of their beers.

Same. But “they” would be Wychwood (owned by Marston’s I believe), Hobgoblin is the name of one of their beers.

I have yet to find a Wychwood beer I haven’t enjoyed, they’re probably my favourite brewery.

Bruce

No time for a pint 🙁 but I will try some of their beer when I I go shopping.

zilog6128

I have yet to find a Wychwood beer I haven’t enjoyed, they’re probably my favourite brewery

used to love a pint of Goblin back when I was a student, there was literally a “Hobgoblin” pub in Canterbury & we spent many a happy evening there. Or entire day 😂

I have them rarely now – the beer world has moved on, and since the Marstons takeover it’s uncommon to find a well-pulled pint on draught (the staff either don’t know or don’t care how to look after cask ale properly I suspect) but the bottles are still ok!

Also much prefer to support indie/smaller breweries out of principal (Black Sheep now on the shitlist also sadly 😔) but many fond memories still!

MrSparkle

Hobgoblin is the name of one of their beers.

Actually it’s the name of 6 of their beers now! 😲

sobriety
    Free Member

I’m sad that hobgoblin has got weaker over the years, it was 5.5% when I first discovered it, and had a better flavour for it.

zilog6128

^^^ run by beancounters now sadly rather than people who want to make great beer!

Cougar

Actually it’s the name of 6 of their beers now! 😲

Is it? I know there’s the original (which is now ‘Amber’ I think?) and and the lighter / weaker ‘Gold’. I didn’t know there were others.

used to love a pint of Goblin back when I was a student, there was literally a “Hobgoblin” pub in Canterbury & we spent many a happy evening there. Or entire day 😂

Back when they had it on tap in my local rock / biker bar they defaced the pump masthead to read “Nobgoblin” and refused to serve it unless you ordered it by name. “Hobgoblin? Nah, we don’t have any of that, sorry mate.”

Different times.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Is it? I know there’s the original (which is now ‘Amber’ I think?) and and the lighter / weaker ‘Gold’.

Original is a ruby. Never seen anything else beyond the gold.

A lot of their output now is supermarket designed shit like Dryneck sold for buttons in Morrisons.

dissonance

used to love a pint of Goblin back when I was a student, there was literally a “Hobgoblin” pub in Canterbury & we spent many a happy evening there.

It was a nice exception from all the shepherd bleeping neame pubs.

jodafett

^^^ run by beancounters now sadly rather than people who want to make great beer!

It’s more a result of taxation on higher ABV beers.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Gold is just a really nice, well-balanced beer.

The King Goblin is a beautiful, stronger ruby ale.

jeffl

Our local used to be a Hobgoblin pub. Funnily enough called the Hobgoblin. Great atmosphere and great pub. A few years back it got turned into a sports bar 😞.

Moved away before it happened but a real shame.

alric
    Free Member

king goblin is about my favourite beer, but only sometimes does it taste right, like the taste isnt quite there, and imm never sure if its my tastebuds wrong or the beer itself.
    More likely its something like zilog said, about it not being looked after properly

pocpoc
    Free Member

Hobgoblin Gold is my go to reliable, nice beer. When I can’t be arsed to make a decision / take a risk on an unknown and just want something I know I’ll like.

thenorthwind

Much like zilog, I’ve moved on and haven’t drunk it in years, but it used to be my go-to.

Never had one, but the t-shirt that read “What’s up lager-boy? Afraid you might taste something?” always made me smile.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hobgoblin Gold is my go to reliable, nice beer. When I can’t be arsed to make a decision / take a risk on an unknown and just want something I know I’ll like.

Same, or Lidl’s “Green Gecko” does the same job.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Does the Hobgoblin still exist in Camden? Looks like an inn out the Hobbit with a clientele to match. Great place.

Never had one, but the t-shirt that read “What’s up lager-boy? Afraid you might taste something?” always made me smile.

I have one! And a Dogs Bollocks “Lip Smacking Liver F**king Beer” one to go with it.

MrSparkle

Is it? I know there’s the original (which is now ‘Amber’ I think?) and and the lighter / weaker ‘Gold’. I didn’t know there were others.

Stout
    Session IPA
    IPA
    Ruby
    Gold
    King

IdleJon

After I walked past the cars on the pavement

Really? Are you sure that you didn’t ride past, flicking Vs at the cars? 😀

Bruce

The pavement isn’t that wide, you could manage it if you were chased by a wolverine but not with the number of pedestrians about.
    Think uneven with parked cars and drop bar width.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Black Sheep Brewery has a buyout in the works, should be saved as a going concern

zilog6128

Black Sheep Brewery has a buyout in the works, should be saved as a going concern

hopefully the employees will keep their jobs (and the small stakeholders won’t get screwed over) but personally have zero interest in a brewery owned by an investment group & can’t see myself ever buying the beers again!

nerd
    Free Member

Marston’s is now Carlsberg Marston’s, a mega-mega conglomerate!

CountZero

It’s more a result of taxation on higher ABV beers.

This ^^^
    Wadworth 6X used to be 5.5abv, it’s now around 4.5, IIRC, because of tax. There are still beers around above 5.0, I had a really nice stout from Exeter called ‘Darkness’ the last time I was in the Raven in Bath, that was 5.5. Time before that I had a couple of pints of ‘Tempered Train’, from Pitchfork Ales, which was 5.0. It was lovely, but I was drinking the last of it, the brewery’s closed down. ☹️

As I was drinking in the afternoon, with my pie and mash, it’s a good thing I’ve got my bus pass! 😁

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.