Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • All four trails at Afan in one day?
  • nicks
    Free Member

i'm planning on riding Skyline,Whites level,the wall and penhyd in one day, which order would you do it in ?

i think i will start with skyline then whites,wall,penhyd. Which order would you do ?

cheers

nick s

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I would cut down Skyline and do July instead.

Prob best to ride from Glyncorrwg, head up July to start, then up and over to the Wall, do the Penhydd, back over the top and finish up with the end of Whites Level (Energy and onwards).

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

i beg your pardon, you're going to do what ?

Keva
    Free Member

quite a lot of riding for one day !

nicks
    Free Member

im thinking around 8-9hours, leave early and take lights !!!

cfh – the idea was to do over 100km's so the skyline full loop is needed as to get some km's in on the fire road.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, I getcha. Masochist, right? 😉

In that case, maybe alter the route. Start with the climb of Whites, then go down the Wall from the W2 loop. Ride the Penhydd, then back over and down the Whites DH to Glyncorrwg for lunch/food. Finish up with Skyline in entirety. That way, you get to finish at Glyncorrwg (Better food/showers etc) and you can also choose a number of shortcuts out of Skyline if (or when!) you feel you've really had enough!

singlespeedstu

I'd do skyline then onto whites.
    Half way round whites i'd cut onto the wall then penhydd.
    After penhydd back onto the wall and cut back and finish the rest of whites.

Nice long day out. 8)

Zoolander
    Free Member

I would do W2 starting at whites taking in penythingy half way through w2 and then skyline. Except I wouldn't as it would most likely kill me.

nicks
    Free Member

cfh- yeah something like that ! Staying at b&B in Cymmer so end showers etc not a problem.. but i do like the idea of w2 back over …mmmm

This saturday if anybody wants to tag along ; )

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bryn Teg, by any chance? They'll look after your breakfast needs! See Luffy for lunch, and the Refreshment Rooms for post ride ale! You'll need it!

nicks
    Free Member

yeah bryn teg – just the b&b but normally use the cottages 3 or 4 times a year.

the railway pub for a curry i think. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Happy trails! 🙂

Not riding much this weekend, rugby calls! Might get in a cheeky bit of darkside on Sunday, but still not that sort of mileage!

Nutter.
    😉

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, Skyline, then start Whites, then head over on W2 to Penhydd, then finish the Wall, then the rest of Whites. Be fine.

A few years back, I did all of the old CyB trails twice in a day, that was 98 miles and took 11 hours!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I've done this but July instead of Skyline. I will be doing the full thing at some point next month.

I'm planning on breaking the back of it by getting Skyline out of the way. Start W2 going up the White's climb, down the Wall Descent, round Penhyyd, back up the Wall climb and down White's descent.

Should be fun!

nicks
    Free Member

cheers cfh ! i will report back monday !

njee20 – think thats the route i will take, weather looks a bit wet but never mind

njee20
    Free Member

Aah you'll be alright, you've done worse! Think of all the Mule Bars…

nicks
    Free Member

yeah they will keep me going !

going to take trail bike don't wanna destroy new spark rc on its second proper outing !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmmm, Apple and Cinnamon Strudel Mule…yum! Made across the way from the best brewery in the land as well. Which is nice.

nicks
    Free Member

i have a box of strudels just gone in the kit bag for saturday …. with a few summer puddings too mmmmmmmm

Denis99
    Free Member

Taken from mtb wales forum – rider was Matt Page – food for thought.

I don't know anyone who has broken this unofficial record – quite an achievement.

http://www.mtb-wales.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=21978#pid255555

nicks
    Free Member

Denis99 , i heard matt has done it in a crazy time …… but that is crazy !

*walks off to charge lights

BrianSampson
    Free Member

Sweeeet , thanks for all the suggestions guys..Which one we gonna do I got the Summer Pudding box packed and ready….maybe different bikes ??

BrianSampson
    Free Member

Hang on last time I read this it was on my phone now we are talking about records. eeeeeeeeeek

nicks
    Free Member

Brian – i think go with njee20 suggestion … we can plan the route in the pub the night before 😮

br
    Free Member

Park at Glyncorrig.

Do Whites.
    Come back to Drop-off for Breakfast.
    Ride down the trail to The Wall.
    Do The Wall
    After The Wall across to Penhydd.
    Do Penhydd
    Ride back to Glyncorrig via the trail (on the opposite side to The Wall).
    Lunch in the Drop-Off.
    Do Skyline, but if needed/wanted take the 2nd short-cut.

Less about doing all the routes, more about avoiding the cafe at Penhydd…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Less about doing all the routes, more about avoiding the cafe at Penhydd…

Welsh Rarebit FTW!

nicks
    Free Member

i dont think i will stop as you can lose 1-2 hours easily , massive breakfast and survive on food i carry.

BrianSampson
    Free Member

Good man I got like 40 Summer puds and eleventy gels .. Chuck in a bit of the famous banana cake and boom were set to crank…Tell me why are we not taking XC bikes again….

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I did Skyline, Whites, Wall then Penhydd.

Thinking about heading back to do it again soon, maybe with gears this time 😛

nicks
    Free Member

matt- defo uses gears , mule bars are good but not that good !!

i see this as a bit of training for kielder.

Rolls
    Free Member

Boom…

That is all 😉

Oh.. and you mentioned NOT drinking tonight…. well…..)

Rolls
    Free Member

Baggy…
    NO jager on friday….. And if I suggest it…SLAP me!!!!!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘All four trails at Afan in one day?’ is closed to new replies.