• This topic has 32 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • All day knee pads
  • Rob1mitch
    Free Member

In the market for some new pads.
    I’ve had 661’s but they’re too bulky. I’m looking for some comfortable and slim pads that will stay put on all day rides.

Any suggestions?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Not slim but once on can easily forget about them on 4+ hr rides.

danbo
    Free Member

I ride all day in Troy lee 5450’s which are great. I have also had some G form pads which were lighter and slightly more comfortable but offer slightly less protection. Would recommend either

77ric
    Free Member

Not had any offs in them but bliss arg minimalist are impressively comfortable. More like knee warmers than knee pads.

akira

Fox enduros are pretty minimalist, comfy for pedalling too.

spicer
    Free Member

I have the g-form ones. Offer a surprising amount of protection and feel good, but slipped down and once you crash, you’ll probably tear the paper thin ‘sock’ bit that holds it around your leg.
    Just got some of the dainese ones. Havent ridden in them yet but they feel great from trying them on

whisky711
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pros are really comfortable, forget I’ve got them on and make great knee warmers in the winter!

GolfChick
    Free Member

Fox enduros here had em well over a year and wear them for every single ride and love em. Only issue is since losing weight I could do with the next size down, I very occasionally have to adjust them at the start of a ride.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

stock answer: Dainese trail skins

ekul
    Free Member

I’ve just sent my Dainese Trailskins back. I have quite large thighs and calves so I got the XL. They fitted perfectly on the thighs, were a bit tight at the bottom but seemed dead baggy on the knees. My worry was grit or dirt getting inside and just rubbing on my knees on all day rides. They just didn’t feel right. Of course your experience may vary and a lot of people recommend them. Protection wise they seemed spot on for what i wanted.

Think I’m going to bite the bullet and go for the poc VPD 2.0’s. They look a little shorter so I’m hoping they’ll be fine.

kimbers

Anyone tried the raceface Indy’s?

, my launch pros are getting very tired

Garry_Lager

I thought exactly the same as ekul with the trail skins – XL seemed to be designed around a massive knee, rather than big calves / thighs. Good protection and will be OK for me sticking them on intermittently, but not a good fit (for me) to wear for hours.

Del
    warpcow
    Free Member

I ended up with POCs after coming from old 661 KSs. I tried the POC 2.0 but they didn’t seem to stay put at the top so I went with the original version (not sure if they’re still available). I wear them all day whenever I have a chance to ride all day, but mostly for rides of 2-4hrs. The only time I find I need to readjust them is when it’s raining and the silicon upper-section gets a bit slippy, but it’s not that bad; every couple of hours maybe.

Tried RF Indys in my LBS a few weeks ago and liked them. Seemed comfy and less bulky than the POCs. There are some nice Alpinestars ones too that seem similar but cheaper.

rocketman
    Free Member

Really difficult to recommend any imo. Have had numerous pairs and a bit like crash helmets they’re a very personal fit. They have to protect and stay in place and be unobtrusive it’s a tall order.

I have long, powerful, sinewy legs and tend to go for Fox Launch/NP Critical/Scott Grenade because they are quite long and stay put above my knees and calves. Have tried some 661 Rage and One Industries/Race face somethingorother and they were too short. Have got some 661 Evos at the moment which are comfortable but not wearing too well although the D30 is quite remarkable.

tom.nash

Sweet Protection Bearsuit Lites are brilliant; rode the whole EWS with then and forgot I had them on!

prezet
    Free Member

I have Fox Enduro’s and Launch pads, the Enduros are my go to for most of my riding – except if I’m doing a DH day, or feeling particularly gnar then I’ll put the Launch pads on.

Enduro’s are like padded knee warmers though, really comfy, but wouldn’t take a huge impact.

qtip

Very happy with my Troy Lee KG5450s. Used them on rides up to 4 hours, including hike-a-bike sections, and they have been very comfortable and not slipped at all, despite the lack of straps. If you don’t quite fit the Troy Lee size guide (like I didn’t) then I’d say that getting the calf measurement right is more important than the upper leg measurement.

rhayter

I ride all day in Troy lee 5450’s which are great.

I’d agree. Elastic has got a bit slack at the top of one of mine, but they don’t move about as the various grippy bits are very effective. Light and unobtrusive.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have Race Face Indys and if you have normal or smaller legs they are excellent- very light, but with more protection than the foam based pads. You really forget about them. I’m a small in 661s and a Medium RF Indy is tight, though.

SimonR

Bought a pair of Endura Singletrack pads a few months ago and love them. Relatively low profile, useful amount of protection and comfy for pedalling. Best bit is that they’re not slip on so got a wide range of adjustment – straps go all the way round the leg at top and bottom so still very secure.

These are the ones …. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/endura/singletrack-knee-protector-pads-ec062551

fuzzhead
    Free Member

As above, Troy Lee KG5450 is your answer

verbboy
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    Anyone tried the raceface Indy’s?

, my launch pros are getting very tired

Got these as my first knee pads and really impressed with them, saved my knees a few times already, although weirdly before I hardly ever fell off 😉

nickgti
    Free Member

I bought about 5 different knee pads from CRC then just sent back what I didn’t want.
    these came out best
    http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/troy-lee-kg5400-shock-doctor-knee-guards-adult-p-10953.html?gclid=CITTvpfD88UCFQHJtAodem8Afw&utm_campaign=products&utm_medium=BaseFeed1&utm_source=GoogleBase1

The trail skins are no good if you have big thighs and they just seemed like bulky knee warmers the Fox Enduros where even worse and could barely be called pads.
    The troy lee ones stay put all day long don’t notice I have them on and they do offer some hard shell protection.

takisawa2

Race Face Charge.
    Wore them all day at BPW. Didn’t notice them.
    Was glad of them first thing actually, as they make good leg & arm warmers. 🙂

Northwind

Why is bulky a problem for all-day? I wear 661 Rages, no problem wearing them all day (soloing the glentress seven lately, frinstance). Slimmer pads would have been no advantage.

Restriction, heat and comfort, sure, but that comes from fit and design not bulk, a good bulky pad can be better than a slimline one on all those points. The basic designs mean that often slimline pads are very enclosing, and relatively tight. My gform elbow pads are far, far warmer than my massive POC Bones- they cover more skin and they’re tighter.

IMO the only reason to wear slimline kneepads is that you want to wear trousers. Other than that, maybe your ideal pad might be a slimline one but not for that reason.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

If it’s knee pads only then the Troy Lee KG5400s are perfect. Never notice I have mine on and do the job they’re designed for if you have an off. Not the same level of protection as hard shell pads and the 5400s don’t have the shin protection the 5450s have.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Happy with my Fox Launch pads but your knees do get a bit sweaty on hot trips.

Have to say, last time I used them properly (as opposed to wearing them on a bike ride in case I need them) the whole experience of flying through the air with thoughts like “glad I put my pads on now” and “hope this doesn’t hurt too much”, my landing was one of the most comfortable landings I’d ever had the pleasure of experiencing as I landed on both knees and slid to a halt still upright, on my knees.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pro I don’t even notice them.

hora
    Free Member

I’m probably going to buy the Fox Launch Pros even though I have reservations on protection. The TLD 5400/5450 just dont fit. They really dont feel like they’d stay in place.

mmannerr

Trail skins work for me me, POC 2.0’s and Enduras did not. It’s strange because Trail skins seem bulky and do not really seem to fit well around knee cap but these are first knee pads that do not chafe at all.

rhid

I just bought some Sweet protection Bearsuit lites as my POCs rub on longer rides. Its a huge shame as they are very comfy otherwise. I’ll report back on what the new pads are like.

The best pads in terms of comfort I have had are 661 Kyle Straits. Great fit and never rubbed once. They are looking a little worse for wear now though

hora
    Free Member

The best pads in terms of comfort I have had are 661 Kyle Straits

+1 but they do get baggy/bigger with age and one now slides down my leg on descents.

I’ve got a hunch on TLD t-bone’s but can you find any for sale here? No **** way!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘All day knee pads’ is closed to new replies.