Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Anti dick head cam…
  • boblo
    Free Member

After a few too many altercations/near misses over the past few months, I’m looking for a decent bike cam.

Good enough for evidential purposes inc sound, presumably SD card memory and battery to last all day – say ~8hrs. Obviously mounted to the front of a boik so light and unobtrusive plus weather tight. Oh and extra jam, decent low light performance would be a bonus.

Watcha got and how do you find it please?

Ta.

theotherjonv

bookmarking

escrs
    Free Member

Take a look at the Drift Ghost XL camera, 1080p, 9 hour battery life, waterproof, rotatable lens etc…

Designed for motorbike use but just as good on a road bike, only downside is no stabilization

boblo
    Free Member

@escrs Aye saw them on Amazon. Anybody got one/used one? Feedback please as the Amazon reviews aren’t great…

escrs
    Free Member

I had one for a month, for on road use just to capture car number plates etc.. it was good, clear detail, good low light once you set it up, battery life was excellent

I wanted something i could also use off road (the Ghost XL was rubbish due to no stabilization) so sold it on and bought a GoPro 8 with 2 extra batteries, i can get one day’s commute (30 mins each way) out of one battery and then also have it for off road recording

May buy another Ghost XL for when i do longer road bike rides later on

If you buy on Amazon and dont like it then its easy to return and get your money back

DezB
    Free Member

See here – https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-nice-bar-camera-30/
    Still have stock by the look of it.
    Quick sample
    .https://youtu.be/vD2kc4cFi5c.

thepodge
    Free Member

I had a Ghost Drift, sold it because the app doesn’t work with the most up-to-date android version so you had to connect it to a computer all the time.

I have this for sale, was listed on here but doesn’t want to do it any more

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2931265/

theotherjonv

Thanks DezB – clicked buy on one of the SP Vupoints.

I need to get an SD card apparently. Only purpose is to record road rides in case of accident / evidence. Would not plan to store anything on the card so if it has a 2 hour battery only how big SD does that use?

boblo
    Free Member

@dezb Ta. What’s the battery life like please?

theotherjonv

review I read said about 2 hours

https://nerdtechy.com/vupoint-share-q-review

Watty

I’ve got the earlier version of the Drift and wear it on every ride nowadays. It goes on top of my helmet and mounted that way the lack of stabilisation hasn’t been a problem. Battery lasts 2 hours in the warmer summer weather (less in winter). For longer rides I pop a small ‘power bank’ in my jersey pocket with a long power lead connected. I’ve submitted one shitscary close pass to the old bill which was dealt with. It’s very customisable via the menu and does exactly want I want from a helmet-cam.

boblo
    Free Member

@watty Thanks. So the Drift will run whilst plugged into external power?

escrs
    Free Member

@Watty

What version have you got?

I know the Drift Ghost X only has 5 hour battery life at 1080p (8 hours if used with the long life battery module)

The Drift Ghost XL has 9 hour battery life at 1080p

The Ghost 4k only has a 3 hour battery life at 4k ( there is a 5 hour battery module available)

Tempted to try the Ghost 4k with the 5 hour battery module for commuting and longer rides

DezB
    Free Member

@dezb Ta. What’s the battery life like please?

Yeah, I’ve got 2 hrs out of it. Hasn’t run out of power yet on a ride.
    Guess one downside is the proprietory charger – doesn’t charge from a normal usb, but a little base unit thing. (not sure if it charges when connected to device via the inbuilt connector though)

malv173
    Free Member

I’ve been very impressed with the little Vupoint. My only concern is the lack of a timestamp, but it is a great little camera.

DezB
    Free Member

Nice one, glad to hear it. For £30odd, its pretty decent eh 👍

Watty

@escrs It’s a Drift Stealth 2, long since superseded.

@boblo
    yep.

malv173
    Free Member

@DezB it really is! Cheers for the original PSA!

Ewan
    Free Member

I have a couple of cycliq cameras. The front one has good battery life, a built in light, and good video quality….however it interferes with GPS bike units (you can see the accuracy drop and improve by turning the light on and off). Cycliqs response is to shrug.

I said I have a couple, I’ve also got the rear one they make (Fly 6?). However I’ve no idea how that performs as although I ordered in November (and paid for 3 day delivery IIRC), it arrived yesterday (to my old address – they’ve taken so long i’ve moved house!)! Radio silence from the company, other than them occasionally sending me tracking references (which when you use them it says the shipping company is expecting the package) and then sending follow ups saying all the packages were ‘lost in transit/some bollocks’.

Not impressed and would avoid.

eskay

malv173
    I’ve been very impressed with the little Vupoint. My only concern is the lack of a timestamp, but it is a great little camera.

My local constabulary insist on the footage having an accurate time and date stamp

boblo
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. So far I’m not seeing an ~8hr battery life HD/evidence worthy option. The Drift has potential but the majority of the reviews on Amazon stink.

lovewookie

classifieds ad

in case anyone wants one with a SD card.

anagallis_arvensis

I have chilli tech bullet cam, done the job so far. Although I doubt the battery would last 8 hours, although mine has never completely gone flat

DezB
    Free Member

My local constabulary insist on the footage having an accurate time and date stamp

Interesting. How do they know it’s accurate? Most of em you have to set by editing a text file..
    Also – scenario: Officer, a car knocked me off, here’s video evidence of D1CK H3D knocking me off. Sorry mate, doesn’t show the time.
    As if.

nbt

I’ve the Chilli tech cam also, it’s resulted in at least one driver education course. Battery lasts about 4 hours. I bought a spare battery for it but only found out once I bought it that changing the battery resets the date / time, that’s a bit rubbish

anagallis_arvensis

I bought a spare battery for it but only found out once I bought it that changing the battery resets the date / time, that’s a bit rubbish

It’s annoying that, not sure if the new version solves it or not.

ossify

Another vote for the Chilli cam here. Footage perfectly acceptable for what it is (see AA’s video above) but it’s not amazing in low light. Good enough but won’t catch numberplates at night unless you’re pretty close, but then I suspect most are like this unless you pay a lot.

The date/time also resets everytime I connect it to the PC, a minor annoyance, easily fixable though as someone made a batch script that can be just clicked on to set the time correctly again. Can’t find the link right now though… will upload it if anyone wants a copy.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’d like the batch file link please. I’m never sure if I’m recording the proper details on mine or not.

theotherjonv

Sorry mate, doesn’t show the time.

especially if backed up by a strava file or similar

boblo
    Free Member

@thepodge may have the link please?

I’ve ordered a Chilli Tech c/w spare battery to see if they’re any good. How are people mounting them please?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. So far I’m not seeing an ~8hr battery life HD/evidence worthy option. The Drift has potential but the majority of the reviews on Amazon stink.

I’m not sure that’s realistically possible? There’s a trade-off between image quality (both sensor size and processing power) and battery life.

E.g. a go-pro only lasts an hour. The chilli tech ones now run off external 4×18650 packs like lights

There’s loads of dual camera systems for motorbikes on eBay that I’m tempted to try, they’ll run off a USB power bank (or dynamo + usb socket). I think f+r is the most usefull bit, the reg plate is more likely to be visible (and passes facing backwards always look a lot closer because cars are often still pulling out untill they’re well ahead).

thepodge
    Free Member

I don’t have the file, I was asking for it.

I mount mine with ALL the adaptors from eBay

https://i.ibb.co/WBVtqRx/IMG-20210726-132609708.jpg

ossify

I mount it with the velcro one that came with it.

Download link
    Just stick that on the cam, next to the time settings file. Before unplugging it from the PC, just double click this to set the time to the same as your PC.

NB: after unplugging, turn the camera on then off again. It only reads the file and sets the internal clock when it’s turned on for the first time so if you don’t do this straight away the time will be wrong anyway.

If that link goes dead, here’s the code:

@echo off

for /F “usebackq tokens=1,2 delims==” %%i in (wmic os get LocalDateTime /VALUE 2^>NUL) do if ‘.%%i.’==’.LocalDateTime.’ set ldt=%%j

set ldt=%ldt:~0,4%.%ldt:~4,2%.%ldt:~6,2% %ldt:~8,2%:%ldt:~10,2%:%ldt:~12,2%

echo %ldt% Y 3 > %CD%\time.txt

Just create a text file, paste that in, then change the extension from .txt to .bat
    (I take no credit for this! But can’t remember who does…)

Edit: Ok somewhat unsurprisingly the formatting went slightly weird there. Just put backticks around the white part inside the brackets.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

anagallis_arvensis

The date/time also resets everytime I connect it to the PC

Mine doesn’t do that.
    I fix mine to bars and use a cheap planet X mount that’s better than the one it came with.

lostmarbles
    Free Member

Anyone having problems getting a phone to connect to a Vupoint Q? Just received mine, the app opens then immediately just crashes, can’t access settings or view images.

DezB
    Free Member

Think mine did that once or twice when I first got it. Been ok since. TBH I usually plug the SD card into my laptop to view/delete files off it.

BigJohn

I’ve just seen an ad for the “new updated” Chilli Bullet cam. Any opinions?

fatbrad
    Free Member

I use a Cycliq fly12. It’s the older model but it checks out.
    Great footage and lasts a couple of days even with the light on as well.

boblo
    Free Member

BigJohn
    I’ve just seen an ad for the “new updated” Chilli Bullet cam. Any opinions?

I’ve ordered one to see if it’s any good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Anti dick head cam…’ is closed to new replies.