Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Alfine gearing quirks – Advice please
  • Vortexracing

Fitted an 8 speed alfine onto the Roadrat over the weekend as an attempt to get a reliable winter training/commuter bike.

Rode it into work this morning (23 miles) and noticed a large jump between gears 5 and 6 (I think). Ironically the two gears I used most. 🙄

I will look for a different rear cog, (currently running 45/19) to try and move the most used gears to different ones ie an 18T that may allow me to use gears 4 and 5 mostly.

But is there any way of altering the internal ratios or are they fixed?
    (I think I know the answer, but I thought I would ask anyway)

waht ratios are you guys using on 700c wheels?

Ta

Chucky

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve had mine apart and to change the internal gears you would need your own CNC machine and a PHD in mechanical engineering. Mines whatever came on the Roadtrat, no eye deer.

Mike_D
    Free Member

You’re right, 6 is 1.22x5th but 5th is only 1.17x4th (and 7th is 1.16x6th). I’d be tempted to gear it so you’re mostly in 5th, given that that’s the direct-drive (and hence most efficient) gear 🙂

Vortexracing

Cheers Mike-D, looks like a change to a rear 18T is called for.

and see what difference that makes.

anybody got one they don’t want?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Cheers Mike-D, looks like a change to a rear 18T is called for.

I may have – think it’s an 18 – will have a look later. Running 11 speed and started at 44/18 – was only using really using the middle 7 gears, with jumps, so went straight to 44/20 after a week or so and now use 8 or 9 gears regularly (top and bottom seem very high/low respectively). May go down a few teeth on the ring when (IF!) it ever wears out close up the spread a little more.

Vortexracing

Cheers bristolbiker, if you haven’t it doesn’t matter they are only a tenner new. I thought they would be more somehow

bristolbiker
    Free Member

UPDATE: Turned the shed upside down last night, but can i find my spare sprocket – can I ****?!?!?!? Sorry 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Alfine gearing quirks – Advice please’ is closed to new replies.