Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • alfine for towing a trailer
  • porter_jamie

will it explode in a shower of molten parts all over the road?

scotroutes

I don’t see why, but remember that some trailers need a specific QR and the Alfine has its own axle.

spooky_b329

I wanted to tow a Revolution (Bob style) trailer and bought the solid axle nuts, the fit was rubbish as I think the Alfine thread is finer than standard? I thought they were shoddy nuts so Edinburgh Cycles sent me another set which were just as bad.

They tighten up but just don’t feel right, never dared take it on more than a local pootle. With plenty of thread engaged they still wobble.

You could check by trying some standard M nuts, I suspect they won’t thread on the Alfine axle.

CraigW
    Free Member

For a Bob Yak, the ‘Bob Nutz’ are available in 4 different axle sizes/threads, so hopefully one of them will be compatible with the Alfine hub.

3/8 x 24 fits single speed coaster brake hubs.
    10 x 1 fits ISO and Japanese solid axles.
    3/8 x 26 fits Shimano Nexus.
    I.G.H. fits Sachs multi-speed and Sturmey Archer.
    http://www.bobgear.com/bike-trailers/bob-nutz

Is the Alfine the same axle as the Nexus 7 speed?

thepodge
    Free Member

I would have though that the Alfine & the Nexus would have been the same

STATO
    Free Member

I would have though that the Alfine & the Nexus would have been the same

they are, but that’s not the same as the Revolution nuts which I think are…

10 x 1 fits ISO and Japanese solid axles.

Hency spookys problem above.

porter_jamie

good point regarding the nuts. my one, the bracket just has a hole so i should be ok – i’ve ordered some spare alfine nuts from SJS. i do wonder if the towing will pull the chain tight, as the dropout is horizontal, and there is a chain tensioning device which pulls the chain tight (genesis io), but there’s nothing to stop the axle moving backwards and the load will be iro 45kg all up i reckon. i can’t make that any less unless i chop off body parts 🙂

i should go and test it up some hills and if it’s a problem its a good excuse to engineer/bodge a solution

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

Done several thousand hilly miles with a fully loaded bob on an Alfine 11, 32/21 with Bobnutz with no problems at all.

Saccades
    Free Member

I only have 1 on-line piccie unfortunately.

And it’s completely the wrong side :picard:

Towed 2 kids plus whatever the missus could fit in the back (kitchen sink and the bismark judging by the weight) on my 45:20 horizontal drop out Pompino for 7 years without a bother (well, had a total of 6 rear spokes replaced over the years). I didn’t use a chain device of any kind.

Alfine is a bmx nut as I recall.

Edit to say: 8spd with uprated clutch SG501

Ben_mw

will it explode in a shower of molten parts all over the road?

Mine didn’t.

On IOID (Horizontal dropout)

On R8 (Vertical dropout)

Sorry about blurred picture!
    Small child sat in trailer with balance bike dangling off the back of it for the trip home. Trailer also had tent/stove/sleeping bags/cuddly toys and anything else needed to take a 3 year old camping for a night, so it was pretty well loaded, uphill all the way home and the only things in danger of expolding all over the road were my knees and lungs.

Saccades
    Free Member

I have a similar picture with my xc fs (less blurred ;)) – christ it’s massively harder to pedal uphill.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘alfine for towing a trailer’ is closed to new replies.