Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Alfine Dyno hub advice
  • Denis99
    Free Member

I’ve bought a secondhand bike that is fitted with an Alfine Dynamo hub.

It doesn’t have a dynamo front or rear light fitted.

Looking for some advice ( for commuting) on what lights to fit and any fittings needed for the Alfine dynamo hub (the 2 small electrical prongs).

The Son Edelux looks like it would give a good bright beam – but need some users feedback and recommendations please.

drlex
    Free Member

£100 budget?
    Get this front for £70 & this rear for £23 and this connector for £1.30, leaving £5.70 to cover postage!

STATO
    Free Member

Never used the phillips, they any good compared to B&M IQ Cyo? Those are the ‘standard’ for dynamo lights, have the RT model which is good (near field ilumination on the R is handy for city use).

Denis, i have an Edelux, the Alu casing makes it tougher and prettier but the innards are same as a B&M Cyo (minor power increase on Edelux but not so youd notice). If your on a budget a standard Cyo or CyoR would be my suggestion.

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks, I have a total budget of around £200

jimc101
    Free Member

The Son Edelux is very good, have been using one for the last 2 years, prefer this to the cheaper option of the B&M LUMOTEC IQ Cyo, these are about half the price or less than a Edelux, I had one of these, and after about 6 months use, it snapped at the bracket mount, the Edelux can’t do this as the body is alu, not plastic.

For the beam produced, there wasn’t a noticeable change when I went from the IQ to the Edelux. Also have a Supernova E3 fitted to another bike, and prefer the Edelux to this.

If you are looking at a German brand, would look at ordering from one of the German suppliers, as they are normally a lot cheaper than any UK suppliers.

For the connector, if you look at it, you have 2 bare wires from the light, and these are sandwiched into the grey/black connector cap & cover, this is easier than SON hubs, where the wires need to be crimped to spade connectors; although the dis-advantage of this, is you need to be careful when removing the wheel, as you can pull the connector cap assembly apart, though it is reassemble.

For the tail light it’s just a case of running a cable from the tail light to the front, crimping the appropriate connector.

Whatever you are looking at, have found with Dynamo LED’s the light output is poor until it’s really dark, then they are great.

CraigW
    Free Member

Also worth looking at the B&M Luxos IQ2 – its brighter than the IQ Cyo or Edelux.

That Philips light looks good for the price, though I’ve heard reports of the bracket breaking.

drlex
    Free Member

I have been using the Philips for over a year and it’s been fine- I did see mention of a failed bracket, so put a mudguard washer on to spread the load. 60 lux is fine for unlit commuting, but would be lacking for DH… It also has a wee front reflector, to satisfy P.C. shiny buttons & night lighting regs.
    With a bigger budget, I’d get either the Son Edelux or the Exposure Revo.

STATO
    Free Member

Ah yes, teh IQ2 can come with USB port too! powerful light and phone charger in one!

Pickers

Just bought an Axa Luxx 70, been out in the dark tonight and very pleased with it.
    Also has a USB charging point and is half the price of the IQ2. Recommended.

Edit – one of These

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies and advice etc,it has helped make my choice easier.

Going to go for the Edelux , I’ll get it from a well known German site though.

lilchris
    Free Member

Denis99
    Thanks, I have a total budget of around £200

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-revo-mk1-dynamo-bike-light/

/Thread

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got a Revo. Its simply fantastic.

Denis99
    Free Member

lilchris

I had considered the Revo, but the Edelux seems to meet what I need / want in a dynamo light at a cheaper price.

Suppose I have a little more cash in the bike fund for something else soon.

The Revo does look good though.

lilchris
    Free Member

Good?
    It’s bloody brilliant!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 for the Edelux. I used a Busch & Muller toplight plus fitted to my rack. I used it all on a 2000 mile US tour, it was fantastic, never had to worry about batteries, I rode with it on during the day too, it was surprising how much mre space drivers gave you.

damitamit
    Free Member

The rear Philips lights are brill. Had numerous people comment on mine on my commute home.

MrAgreeable

One of these is bloody handy too if you’re planning to tour:

http://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/House/Home/M172-Bicycle-charge-controller-USB-Mini-B-.php

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Alfine Dyno hub advice’ is closed to new replies.