Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Alfine (8 & 11 Speed) User thoughts/regrets/comments etc
  • letmetalktomark

I have for a good while considered the use of an Alfine hub – originally in 26” guise but now a more realistic 29” guise.

How have folk found real world use?

Have you had to tend to yours much?

Whats the approximate cost of servicing?

How long are the intervals?

Any experiences (both good & bad) very welcome 😀

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Alfine 11 here, only on the road. Really like it for its ‘work horse’ intended purpose. Seems bomb-proof for its first ~1000 miles.

Service intervals are first 1000km and then every 5000km thereafter. See my service saga here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dealing-with-an-lbs, but it looks like a shop service will cost £20/£30 a time, or sell your kids and buy the service kit and oil.

There have been a spate of similar threads over the last few days, so have a search in those……

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Big fan of the 8 here. gear range is a bit narrow – only the same as a 1×9 otherwise a great piece of kit. smoother and less draggy now its been serviced. I like

cupra
    Free Member

Had one 8 spd, now have an 11spd mtb and 11 spd commuter, nuff said.

ssboggy

I’m running an alfine 8 and i like it but it doesn’t get used all the time, i swap the bike to ss and also use a couple of other bikes as well, a mate of mine however put a 8 speed alfine on his bike less than 18 months ago and it is now completely fubared,
    He was using it at least 3 times a week and he is pretty hard on kit, also it had never been serviced so make of that what you will.

turneround

mine is quite ‘draggy’ and not as smooths as expected (its had minimal use) – sometimes i need to pedal backwards a little to get it to engage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Alfine (8 & 11 Speed) User thoughts/regrets/comments etc’ is closed to new replies.