Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Alfine 11 bearing maintenance
  • cheeezzy24
    Free Member

After several thousand trouble free miles on my Alfine 11 it doesn’t seem to spin as freely as it did so I think the bearings may need a grease or replacing.
    How do you get to them and is it an easy job? I’m guessing a special shimano tool will be needed!!
    Anyone done it, any advice? Cheers

otsdr
    Free Member

Shimano recommends a first oil change at 1000km, then at 5000km intervals. If yours went the several thousand miles on the same oil, a full rebuild might be recommended.

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

Wheel bearings not the internals. Oil change has been done.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simon1975

The bearings are inside the seals so run on the same oil as the hub, which hopefully you’ve been changing regularly!

It’s really easy to open it up for a look-see. Take off brake rotor (if fitted), take off gear selector arm, take off drive cog (behind a snapring). Then remove the locknut and cone completely from the non-driveside (17 and 15mm cone spanners), and open the driveside by turning (by hand) the big knurled plastic ring which unscrews clockwise (might be behind another plastic cover which pulls off). The guts of the hub will come out in one go for inspection.

Plenty of help and pictures already online eg https://hubstripping.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/11-speed-alfine-hub-from-shimano/ you can see the bearings in the photo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 11 bearing maintenance’ is closed to new replies.