Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Alfa Stelvio
  • oldtennisshoes

My beloved BMW was killed on the motorway today 😭, so I need a replacement and like the look of these.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences?

verses

If it counts for anything, Top Gear were keen on it.  The episode is still on iPlayer for another 2 weeks;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09ynst1/top-gear-series-25-episode-6

munrobiker
    Free Member

Top Gear also made the valid point that a fast estate car will do everything an SUV does better, apart from the off road bit.

pothead
    Free Member

Clarkson drove 1 on the Grand Tour and couldn’t fit a tow bar because of the exhaust

fossy

Having had a company car, 147 Selespeed, I’d be a little cautious if it’s yours to own.  Regular trips to the garage for electrical issues.  All the parts are Bosch but the Italians can’t wire it up properly.

Everyone must have an Alfa at some point – great to drive.

Kryton57

Everyone must have an Alfa at some point – great to drive.

In the dry…  do not submerge beyond 4″.

v8ninety

Thoughts; what’s one of those. Bit of googling leads to…

Opinion; Oh. Another SUV. This one looks a lot like a semi melted version of the Jaguar one, which isn’t particularly good looking itself.

Experience; (in SUV ownership), zilch.

what happened on the motorway? That story sounds more interesting?

RustySpanner

Have you considered a Macan?

martymac

I am also in the ‘estate car’ camp.

although, i will concede it looks good.

im not keen on suv’s in general though, because they’re not sporty, and they are useless at the ‘utility’ bit too.

Generally speaking.

oldtennisshoes

what happened on the motorway? That story sounds more interesting?

Got tail ended and bounced off the barriers after slowing down to avoid a metal sheet which had fallen from a lorry.

The car did its job and I walked away with just a sore neck – the passenger in the van that hit me wasn’t so lucky and got a ride on a spine board 😬

Anyway, after a bit of research, it seems there are decent deals available on a Volvo T6 or a Merc GLC. I’m going test driving tomorrow 😀

CountZero

Clarkson drove 1 on the Grand Tour and couldn’t fit a tow bar because of the exhaust

Would anyone trust Clarkson to fit a sunstrip without cocking it up? Top Gear seemed to manage getting a towbar on ok.

Top Gear also made the valid point that a fast estate car will do everything an SUV does better, apart from the off road bit.

What, like breaking engine mounts, twice? And it was an XC, which is supposed to be Volvo’s rufty-tufty off-road capable estate. But at least nobody died.

im not keen on suv’s in general though, because they’re not sporty, and they are useless at the ‘utility’ bit too.

They’re more sporty than your average estate car, and there’s a point here that various people seem to be going out of their way to ignore, and that is many people HAVE NO NEED FOR AN ESTATE! What they do want, and it’s something that I’ve really come to appreciate over the last two years, driving a great many different cars, including many SUV’s, and that’s a driving position where you don’t have to drop down into the car, (and BMW’s are the worst, or at least their owners, for having the seats far too low), but you can just slide into the car, plus that higher seating position gives a much greater field of view around the car. They’re usually shorter, which means easier parking as well. If I had the money, I’d be off to a Mazda dealer for a CX-5 tomorrow, or possibly a Stelvio.

stewartc
    Free Member

Until they resurrect a 159 Sportswagaon, I’m out.

zokes
    Free Member

Top gear seemed to manage – I point I wondered about at the time

They’re more sporty than your average estate car,

Not your average SUV. A sporty SUV is more sporty than an average estate car, but I very much doubt an X5M (or whatever the “fast” X5 is) is sportier than an M5 estate.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Does seem to be a nice drive, I personally don’t like the look of it and see no point in a “sporty” SUV.

Is it the look that you like ? Or is there something else about it ?

Plenty of other manufacturers producing (S) UV’s that are worth considering before the Alfa IMO.

convert

Fair play to the OP to have a nasty write off level motorway incident and to be focusing on the new car.

Agree with CZ – no need for an SUV in my life but the driving position is a big selling point. My father had an old x5 which I drove around a bit and it was a big positive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Alfa Stelvio’ is closed to new replies.