Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 222 total)
  • Alex Salmond to host a chat show on Russia Today
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

Well you couldn’t make this up !! 😯 😯 😯

Based on his Newsnight interview he seems to be happy to take the Russian Rouble in order to whine about the Tories and Westminster. As per his final words “let the programme be judged on it’s merits” – well I am for that, the Scots judged his arguments for independence on it’s merits. We’ll do the same for Russia Today.

P.S. Interesting the programme will be produced by his production company, no fool is Alex very tax efficient that as we have seen from the Paradise Papers.

seosamh77
    Free Member

What’s wrong with going on RT?

scotroutes

A politician on state sponsored TV – whatever next? 🙄

tjagain

Jamba – you do know he gives much of his money to charity don’t you?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You;re grammar is bollocks

cranberry
    Free Member

What is wrong about being paid by Russia Today is what was wrong about being paid by Der Sturmer.

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆

tjagain

Moral difference between Russia today and fox news?

cranberry
    Free Member

Whatabboutery.

cranberry
    Free Member

Oh, and stealth edit from “daily mail” to “fox news” hoping to get more people on your side.

tjagain

Not at all.

Either will do – I thought Fox news a more apposite comparison.

Now can you give me what the moral difference is between Russia today and either Fox news or the Daily mail?

km79
    Free Member

Oh, and stealth edit from “daily mail” to “fox news” hoping to get more people on your side.

Yes ’cause one is way worse than the other.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Whats the difference RT and bbc news is the question i’d ask, both are biased far as i can see, wouldn’t say one is much worse than the other. I’d say fox and the daily mail are much worse than both.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Great catch 🙂

Russian state money vs US (Australian) private money is chalk and cheese. I am sure you can agree that TJ ? Also don’t we see daily pieces about the implied negative connotations of Russian money supposedly supporting Trump, Brexit etc … ? Russian involvement bad – no ?

As for giving most of his money to charity, well he certainly gave his Westminster MP “resettlement” allowance (designed to soften the blow for MPs losing thir seats/job) to his own chairty (in his mothers name) even thoigh he went straight into another job and even returned to Westminster as an MP. The moral thing to have do e would be not to take taken the money (£60k I believe)

jambalaya
    Free Member

BBC must be one of the most balanced anywhere in the world. If that’s not good enough fkr posters here maybe you should see a world with only private commercial news

tjagain

Fox / murdoch use their money for political ends conti9nually buying politicians all the time.

Nope – have to come up with something better than that to find a moral difference.

IIRC he also gave his first ministers allowance, refused a pay rise and while he had two salaries gave all that to the charity as well as well as his first ministers pension. Rather more moral than many.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Russian state money vs US (Australian) private money is chalk and chees

why?

Does that mean british state money is also bad?

And why is Russian involvement in anything automatically bad?

seosamh77
    Free Member

BBC must be one of the most balanced anywhere in the world. If that’s not good enough fkr posters here maybe you should see a world with only private commercial news

make up your mind, are you for state funding or not? 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

Russian state money vs US (Australian) private money is chalk and cheese.

You know where Theresa May was last night, right after she fired Priti Patel? Having dinner with Paul Dacre, editor of the Daily Mail.

The distinction between state and private money is pointless – they both use their massive wealth to influence politics.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Interesting the programme will be produced by his production company, no fool is Alex very tax efficient that as we have seen from the Paradise Papers.

why is it that someone who defends making money and being “tax efficient” would abandon a principle to make a cheap political shot at someone doing something they actually defend/justify

I always find it a particularly odd attack tactic

tjagain

Hatred of Salmond and the uppity scots gives big motivation to find a stick to beat him with.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Will there be any comedy artists on the chat show …?
    Not that I take much notice of Scottish politics..but he seemed an ok kind of bloke ..much better than his successor Jimmy Krankie.
    Will he be appearing on the show ?

Spin
    Free Member

Forget about bias, media influence, Putin, Murdoch and all that pish.

We don’t need to look any further than wee Eck’s weel kent love of the limelight to explain this.

tjagain

Salmond remains a political operative who enjoys the game too much. Sturgeon is to the left of him and is much more interested in results than the game for its own sake and is very competent as first minister compared to any other political leader in the UK

gordimhor

I don’t trust RT or the BBC. Particularly BBC Scotlandshire.

tjagain

The BBC takes its impartiality from the midpoint of the london press so is automatically biased to the right as a result and is far far to the right of Scottish opinion. In Scotland they give SNP with 50% of the vote equivalence with UKIP with under 1% of the vote

Junkyard
    Free Member

The BBC is briliant as right wing frothers think its left wing and Left wingers think its pro establishment/right wing.

IMHO its establishment , consensual and conservative with a small c [ western liberal status quot bias] with left leaning tendencies of the majority of reporters – as the intelligentsia tends to be gently left wing.

saxabar
    Free Member

I don’t normally agree with jambalaya’s views, but RT is an aggressive propaganda channel. Yes, all state broadcasters engage in “soft power”, but channels such as the BBC are still able to be self critical. You can’t equate Beeb with RT. I do watch RT though as it offers useful analysis, but it will never report truths that go against Russia’s self-interest.

NewRetroTom

In my view this is an appalling move by Salmond. He will lose a lot of legitimacy for being controlled by Russian money.

He will also give some legitimacy to Russia Today.

This is an outlet of which one of its own reporters – on resigning over its coverage of the MH17 incident said “We are lying every single day at RT. There are a million different ways to lie, and I really learned that at RT.”

seosamh77
    Free Member

controlled by Russian money.

man, youse live on another planet!

Seems he’s sold his soul has oor Alec! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

We are lying every single day at RT. There are a million different ways to lie, and I really learned that at RT.

and who are rt’s biggest influence you ask. Well that’ll be the BBC! 😆

wwaswas

Jamba – you do know he gives much of his money to charity don’t you

I don’t, do tell.

NewRetroTom

man, youse live on another planet!

What are you getting at?

seosamh77
    Free Member

A wee side note. It’s difficult to see propaganda when you agree with it! 😆

NewRetroTom

It’s difficult to see propaganda when you agree with it!

Which is why I quoted someone who actually worked for RT and evidently was prepared to go along with their line for a while before eventually becoming disillusioned with it. More from her here: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/vd8ba3/sara-firth-russia-today-boeing-mh17-interview-345

Seosamh77 you think the BBC is just as bad as RT. I challenge you to post a link to an RT piece which is critical of Putin. In return I will post a link to a BBC article which is critical of any person or entity of your choice.

saxabar
    Free Member

@seosamh77, where possible, it helps to get into specifics and facts, e.g. how often does RT ever say anything critical about Russia? How often is a Russian politician grilled on RT? This is routine in the UK. I don’t deny for a moment that the Beeb promotes a particularly worldview (or ideological account) of the UK. It’s even in its remit to do so (see the Charter), but RT and the Beeb are apples and oranges.

jimjam
    Free Member

If you want balanced and factually accurate news you need news from three sources.

tjagain

wwaswas – Member

Jamba – you do know he gives much of his money to charity don’t you

I don’t, do tell.

Give it a quick google. He set up a charity in the mane of his deceased mother to support the sorts of things his mother supported,. IIRC mainly small grants to disadvantaged groups and people. ( this is all from memory) He paid into this fund his first ministers pension while he was also an MP, also the second salary he got while both a msp and MP and some of his income from journalism and also the pay rise MPs awarded themselves when he was at westminster. Basically he said the £60 000ish he got from one job was enough to live on and the rest of his income was given to others.

TheFlyingOx

Basically he said the £60 000ish he got from one job was enough to live on and the rest of his income was given to others

Not quite. He also has his non-political earnings, which are larger than his political earnings and which he funnels through a service company so he only pays 20% tax.

tjagain

Does much of that not end up in the charity as well? I thought it did but can’t be bothered googling it.

Whatever the detail surely we can agree its a good thing. the only other politician I know who does this is Brown. If all politicos did this rather than just using their position to enrich themselves then the world would be a better place

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 222 total)

The topic ‘Alex Salmond to host a chat show on Russia Today’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.