Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Alex Jones and his legal team’s screw up.
  • martinhutch

Latest from court:

Motion for Mistrial denied!

leffeboy

They had a shot at that 2 days ago as well

malv173
    Free Member

The judge in this trial is amazing! Taking no s*** from the defense team. This is one of my favourite clips:

It’ll be interesting to see what comes at the end of the trial, given that he’s been shown to have lied under oath numerous times.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Would finding him in contempt at this point end the trial early? They could just have a tally in the corner of the courtroom.
    The local Infowars fanboy has started posting website posters up near where I live again. What sort of arsehole does that?

matt_outandabout

Would finding him in contempt at this point end the trial early?

We’ve just discussed that.

I’m not understanding on US law…but
    I assume this trial – which is civil(?) – will complete. Then other charges are placed, subject to correct investigation for criminal or enough evidence for civil?

Del

Beautiful

PJM1974
    Free Member

The local Infowars fanboy has started posting website posters up near where I live again. What sort of arsehole does that?

Arseholes are going to arsehole.

I’m pretty sure that it’s possible to spot the exact moment in the clip when Alex Jones soils himself in court. This guy, like Rush Limbaugh before him has trousered a lot of money from scared, gullible people and as soon as those two years of texts and emails enter the public domain, we’ll see Jones’s high profile supporters and patrons ghost him.

leffeboy

Bummer, 4.1M is a lot for them but not so much for him .  I hope they nail him with punitive damages then.  Plus there are still the other cases to come

thols2

The jury will also consider punitive damages later this week. Those might be expensive given that he know what he was saying was flat out untrue.

Kryton57

Those might be expensive

sky news quoting in the region of $62m.

MoreCashThanDash

Don’t forget this is just one claimant?

matt_outandabout

Don’t forget this is just one claimant?

Yes, there are 9 others.
    Plus his ex-wife.
    Plus punitive damages which will be tens of millions per claim.
    Plus the court(s) and DOJ are surely going to have to look at various perjury prosecutions.

He is toast, surely?

footflaps

The jury will also consider punitive damages later this week.

Good point.

$4m is a disappointing sum.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I have to say reading this verdict it made my day. A despicable lying, manipulative low life. Jones is repugnant.

nickc

Jones is repugnant.

Back in the 90’s? (maybe later than that) Jones was doing some of the earliest [what we’d now call] podcasting, and I would tune in occasionally, and while he was still very much “of the right” in the way that lots of american shock jocks are i.e. Guns, America is the Greatest , Commies are bad sort of gig, and the show was still conspiracy and world govt nonsense, it was all done with a nod and wink and with humour. He’d have these crazy folk call in and let them rant, and sort of encourage them to talk about all sorts of shit, but it was really “Listen to this idiot”…

At some point, it either got very real for him, or the money got too hard to resist, or he really was this nasty piece of work all along…But as other’s have said read the Jon Ronson book, and it’s a very different Jones that he writes about.

airvent
    Free Member

He’ll set a new business back up in a few years time and be making those millions back fairly quickly, he has a lot of hardcore fans, knows how to get attention, and appeals to the growing number of lunatics America is housing.

martinhutch

The amount of money he was apparently making from Infowars and its associated scam businesses is pretty mind-blowing, and even the amount of punitive damages mentioned above may not finish him off. It’s all about the grift – he doesn’t believe any of this shit.

dissonance

It’s all about the grift – he doesn’t believe any of this shit.

I dont know about that. If it was solely about the grift I think he would have been a bit more controlled about his comments and backed off whilst shouting loudly about persecution. As opposed to keep going and shouting about persecution.

kimbers

Grifters like him will always land on their feet
    He really ought to be in prison

DickBarton

He is toast, surely?

You have read the Boris thread? This is a similar type of thing – very unpleasant person being supported by many who have similar thinkings…and they are empowered to get away with it…

p7eaven
    Free Member

He’ll set a new business back up in a few years time and be making those millions back

His business has gone?

dissonance

His business has gone?

He is trying to put it into protective bankruptcy (one of his businesses anyway he has several to shift the money around).
    Question is whether the judge is going to say that those texts etc cant be shared with other prosecutors. The January 6th commission and another criminal investigation have already expressed their interest.

nickc

I think the Judge has already expressed that she thinks Jones is telling big whoppers when it comes to his financial state.

She said to the Jury in her summing up something along the lines of  “Just because some one tells you they have no money, doesn’t mean that they don’t actually have money”

piemonster

This guy, like Rush Limbaugh before him has trousered a lot of money from scared, gullible people and as soon as those two years of texts and emails enter the public domain, we’ll see Jones’s high profile supporters and patrons ghost him

I really hope so, there was soneone that popped up on a nearby FB group recently, who later set up her own group. And she is believing everything being fed to her as fact, but with the sheer scale and variety of conspiracies being pushed its abundantly clear shes is not really looking i to anything beyond its from the true source. (she seems to share posts as soon as they appear).

Shes been pushed into a position where multiple frightening scenarios are “just about, youll see” playing out, and she is living with that as a perceived reality.

It wouldn’t be so bad if real world problems (with widespread evidence and scientific consensus for example) were the concern, but usually those problems arent real and are themselves conspiracies.

bruneep

hatter

Bosh!

Now they’re getting somewhere!

PJM1974
    Free Member

If it were solely up to me Jones would spend the rest of his useful life shovelling shit from latrines. He has previous experience.

Del

He’s pulled 62 million out of his business over the last couple of years of which 30 have gone to the IRS apparently. At least he pays his taxes. Anyway that’s why his company has no money. The guy needs to be **** ruined for what he’s done to some people’s lives. Some of those sandy hook parents have not only had their children killed, they’ve had their relationships destroyed, and they’ve been hounded to the extent that they’re living out of suitcases until their new address gets published online and the nutjobs start harassing them again. Absolutely abhorrent. I hope they throw the book at him.

tomhoward

How come there’s only 9 other claimants? I can’t believe all the other families thought he was justified in what he was saying?

MSP

I think there is a separate case that has been filed by some other families, this is just the first one.

leffeboy

Nice decision and unanimous this time too (although I think it actually had to be).  I thought there was also meant to be a law that limited damages but it doesn’t looks as though there is which is great

thols2

maccruiskeen

the show was still conspiracy and world govt nonsense, it was all done with a nod and wink and with humour. He’d have these crazy folk call in and let them rant, and sort of encourage them to talk about all sorts of shit, but it was really “Listen to this idiot”…

At some point, it either got very real for him, or the money got too hard to resist,

I think the problem is if you lead people along with the kind or divisive rhetoric he uses – that everything is a war and your either with ‘us’ or one of ‘them’ then you can’t stop – because the only thing worse that ‘them’ is someone who isn’t one of ‘us’ enough –  that makes you a traitor. (the jan 6 protesters didn’t want to hang Mike Pence because his was a democrat). You have to keep raising the bar, you cant stand still (because they keep raising the bar too) snd you can’t backtrack because they’ll likely try and kill you. He’s lucky that the Sandyhook families, his ex wife and others only want his money – the reason Jones was continuing to stir things up on his podcast while trial was running is his listeners will want his blood if he allows them to think he’s turned traitor.

jodafett

I thought there was also meant to be a law that limited damages but it doesn’t looks as though there is which is great

From what I understand, in Texan law, there is a cap on how much has to be paid out. This is a law that was introduced by none other than the current Governor of Texas – Gregg Abbott. A guy who won $8 million in damages. A true conservative- what’s good enough for me, is not good enough for you!

butcher

I think the problem is if you lead people along with the kind or divisive rhetoric he uses – that everything is a war and your either with ‘us’ or one of ‘them’ then you can’t stop – because the only thing worse that ‘them’ is someone who isn’t one of ‘us’ enough – that makes you a traitor. (the jan 6 protesters didn’t want to hang Mike Pence because his was a democrat). You have to keep raising the bar, you cant stand still (because they keep raising the bar too) snd you can’t backtrack because they’ll likely try and kill you. He’s lucky that the Sandyhook families, his ex wife and others only want his money – the reason Jones was continuing to stir things up on his podcast while trial was running is his listeners will want his blood if he allows them to think he’s turned traitor.

Without knowing too much about Alex Jones, or the case in question, this is a pretty good assessment of human nature. The paths we take lead us to inevitable places.

Lots of strange goings on in the world in recent years, which are genuinely difficult to understand, but mostly come down to the need to be accepted into social groups.

Cougar

Isn’t that the plot of Breaking Bad?

inkster
    Free Member

“the reason Jones was continuing to stir things up on his podcast while trial was running is his listeners will want his blood if he allows them to think he’s turned traitor.”

Yep, a good point not made often enough. Grifters lile him manage to cast a spell on their audience and can direct them this way and that but there comes a point at which the tail begins to wag the dog.

kelvin

Hopefully this is just the start of his financial loses.

The points made about his followers are important though. Some will now be a risk to him. Many more are a risk to their fellow Americans.

convert

Idiot question – there were 26 victims of the Sandy Hook shootings – 20 children and 6 adults. This court case was just about the parents of one of them? I’m assuming this means the compensation (minus the enormous dollop heading the way of lawyers) that they manage to extract out of him will go to just the parents of one child. And if any others sue following this there will be precious little left I assume.

Financially destroying Jones is obviously the only way to punish him in a civil trail I appreciate that, but financially gaining massively, especially if not evenly divided, does not sit too well with me. I guess they were the ones to go to the trouble of pursuing him first but even so…

There’s a sort of paradox with these cases – you have to have been properly, provably impacted by his actions and words, but not so impacted that you don’t have the strength and mental resilience required to go through the trauma of a trial. These parents might not be the worst impacted – just the ones capable of going through it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.