Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Aldi turkeys
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I am just sorting out Christmas dinner and many reviews suggest they are very good value for money. After using the local butchers for the last three years (at some 25% per kilo more and not being overly impressed – they were always good, but I didn’t see any difference from ‘standard’ turkeys) I was going to give Aldi a try.

However online there seems to be no mention of being able to buy them (although they have pictures of whole birds all over the site). I assume they are only available in-store but can’t find out from when or whether or not they can be reserved.

Anyone been down the Aldi route before and have and advice?

Cheers

IdleJon

Last year we bought an Aldi turkey crown. It was less tough than the butcher bought, locally sourced, organic turkey crowns which we bought the previous two years. I don’t know how well treated any of these turkeys were, but guess that the organic ones may have been happier. Until they were slaughtered.

johndoh
    Free Member

Apparently the Aldi turkeys are well reared (already checked). All meet the same end but at least Advent is slightly happier for them…

trail_rat
    Free Member

you under stand how aldi works right ?

Reserve ????? more like – you better have been scrum half in the school rugby ball team to stand any chance of one 😉

zilog6128

Usually buy Aldi chicken when I (rarely) have some as it’s the cheapest place for free-range (assuming they’re not lying!) Tastes the same as anything from a more expensive supermarket.

johndoh
    Free Member

you under stand how aldi works right ?

Reserve ????? more like – you better have been scrum half in the school rugby ball team to stand any chance of one
    Yeah I know – I guessed it was a bit of an idle wish 🙂

tonyplym
    Free Member

In the last couple of years the fresh turkeys were only in store in the week before Christmas. My 2 local Aldi branches both had reasonable stock and seemed to be able to cope OK with demand. However, not sure that the same will be the case this year – have noticed fewer “basket” shoppers and more “fully loaded trolley” shoppers in the stores, so suspect that more people are doing their full weekly shop there than in previous years, so guess the demand for Aldi’s turkey and all the trimmings could be higher this season.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Can’t comment on Turkey but I know a farmer who supplies some of the top restaurants in the UK, he also supplies Aldi.

I just tend to buy a cow from him every so often

akira

Get a capon from your butcher instead, much cheaper than a turkey and tastier as well.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aldi free range chickens are awesome, can only imagine turkeys are good.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

All their other meat is good so i’m sure their turkeys will be too. Didn’t their 5 bird roast win best of the bunch a few years ago, beating offerings from Waitrose, M&S?

tonyplym
    Free Member

Seem to remember paying around £7/kilo for last year’s offering from Aldi (their “Roly Poly Bronze”) – was very tasty and would certainly buy again.

stevew
    Free Member

Yep

Very good, had their whole bronze turkey for the last 2 years, very nice indeed with herby garlic butter spread underneath the skin. Yum.

Looking forward to it but noted comments above about potential for more people moving to Aldi this year and supplies may be scarce.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Went there yesterday looking for Sloe gin and turkey, didn’t have either 😥

downshift

Very good. We switched from a local free range producer last year, as by the time we knew what we were doing all theirs were reserved. Not sure of the dates for Aldi, but was in Lidl today and they are getting their fresh birds in on the 19th, although no idea yet of pricing. FWIW I rate Lidl meat even higher than Aldi.

But you might want to be able to guarantee getting there nice and early…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Aldi turkeys’ is closed to new replies.