Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Aldi Moon Comet Lights
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

Anyone know if these are as they appear, a version of the Moon Comet?
    I thought the comets were 100 lumen front and 30 lumen rear whereas the aldi ones are 50 front and 25 rear. They look the same though and will be fine as an additional light for commuting.
    I have a couple of genuine comet rears and they are excellent.

AlexSimon

Link: https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-24-sep/product-detail/ps/p/premium-bike-lights/

They do look identical don’t they.
    I’ve been very happy with my moon rear light (Crescent – which is also rated as 25 lumens).

zippykona

I’m after a constant light that is bright enough to be seen but won’t dazzle.
    Will one of these fit the bill?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zilog6128

The dazzling is due to the shape/angle of the beam, not the lumens (although a light that’s weak as piss obviously won’t dazzle!)

No way are these anything to do with Moon – the difference in price/spec should tell you it’s nothing but a cheap copy. Worth £9 though? Maybe. Personally I’ll pass.

richardthird

Rear? Comet is really bright, even on lowest setting. In a group I mask off all but a 10mm section with insulation tape.

Front is just about bright enough on high to see the road with if your main light packs in.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Could these of been made by moon for aldi?
    My comets are great. Even on the lowest setting they are very bright. I never feel the need for full power. My two grievances with them are that the light is a bit fiddle to get in and out of the bracket and it has no warning that it will instantly die. Yeah it has the tiny led but once covered in mud or hidden away under the saddle it’s not the easiest to see. It caught me out once so I charge it nearly every ride now.

lightman
    Free Member

Ive been using that type for the last year, and because they’re cheap enough, I have several pairs.
    They are now just a generic type and everyone sells them ~ cheaper on ebay.

They’re the only rear light I use on my bikes now.
    I was a bit worried about the shorter runtime, but I only use/need medium flashing and you get around 5-6hrs. You just need to remember to charge them after a ride or two.

I really like these because they have a 160-180 degree beam display/angle instead of the usual one that just put out as much light one one direction.

They are also good for group rides, as you can lower the power and not blind your mate who is riding on your wheel.

Oh, I tested them till they run out and I found that the light went dimmer and didn’t just die leaving you with no light.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I picked up a few last night as so far they look good. They look very close to my genuine moon ones the differences being the branding.
    I haven’t tried one on a genuine moon bracket but even if the light is rubbish I nearly paid as much for a spare under saddle bracket from moon.

egb81
    Free Member

These don’t appear to have the saddle mount, which is a shame as that was pretty useful for a dropper post

tomd
    Free Member

These don’t appear to have the saddle mount, which is a shame as that was pretty useful for a dropper post

They do, I picked a set up yesterday for my wife.

They seem to be identical to the moon comet which I have.

Very good “be seen” lights.

stumpy01

egb81 – Member

The Aldi rear one does have the saddle rail mount; the ebay one linked to above, doesn’t appear to.

I bought one of the front lights – intending to use it in a flashing mode alongside a brighter main light.

I didn’t expect it to be as well made as it is. Slightly annoyingly, it uses mini-usb (like an Edge 500) rather than micro usb, so most people will need to keep the cable handy rather than just use your phone charging cable.
    Be interesting to see what the run time is like.

z1ppy

The Aldi rear one does have the saddle rail mount

Yep they definitely do have the saddle mount, as this was the reason I bought one. Bracket fitted to my saddle, so the definitely work, unlike one report on the other aldi thread. Thought it worth a punt @ £9, as I’ve had too many ‘expensive’ rear lights fail previously

tomd
    Free Member

If it’s anything like the Moon Comet the run time won’t be amazing, even in low modes. I think the Moon claims something like 7 hrs on low but I never got anything like that.

egb81
    Free Member

My local Aldi didn’t have any yesterday, which was a shame.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I don’t expect great run times but if they are lower power than the moon ones they may be similar or slightly or better. I only have experience of the moon rear and the battery life isn’t great but plenty for a couple of rides. I tend to charge them after every ride after getting caught out. I haven’t read the specs but I expect the front to be worse as it is more powerful.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

My comets easily last a full week of commutes (5 x 65 mins) on constant low.
    I do have it paired with an exposure Flare, so if one runs out of power, the other will have enough power to get me home.

lightman
    Free Member

I haven’t read the specs but I expect the front to be worse as it is more powerful.

No, they’re both the same power.
    The red filter for the rear is what saps the light output from it.

My comets easily last a full week of commutes (5 x 65 mins) on constant low.
    I do have it paired with an exposure Flare, so if one runs out of power, the other will have enough power to get me home.

That would be about right, as the ebay ones runtime is quoted at 6hr 20mins on low.
    I have two off the ebay ones on the rear of my bike, as you said, in case one runs out or fails. Hasn’t happened yet though.

tomaso
    Free Member

Gearbox have the same for £6. However, I got a pair of the Aldi ones as I need them now. They look good and are plenty bright.

emyr

No, they’re both the same power.
    The red filter for the rear is what saps the light output from it.

In theory it should have been cheaper for them to use red LEDs without a coloured filter so you’d get the same effective output using a lower-power diode, lower-rated driver…

officerfriendly
    Free Member

When you say gearbox where do you mean? I’m trying to find a uk place to buy them from? 🙂

johnnystorm

Gearbest gets autocorrected to gearbox probably!

tomaso
    Free Member

What Sherlock /\/\/\ said.

I think they are just generic Chinese lights. Work OK and nice and bright

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Thanks, got it now! Curious site…..Yeah not too sure if they are worth buying, I picked up two sets of those 2led ones that run on cr2032 batteries for £2.99, they seem very visible but according to my LBS they are not good enough?!

andysredmini
    Free Member

After having a play with the Aldi ones and comparing them to my genuine moon ones I have the following comparisons.
    The moon one has a better waterproof flap. It feels tougher and has an insert that fits inside the usb slot and helps hold the flap shut. The Aldi one is just a flap and is a lot more flexible and doesn’t look as well shaped to fit the light recess.
    The Aldi light-bracket fit is better than the moon’s. They go in easier and click into place whereas the moon doesn’t feel as positive. They are both a pita to remove from the brackets though especially the pivoting brackets but the Aldi is slightly easier.
    The Aldi lights are not as bright as the moon ones but still very bright.
    Overall quality is similar but the moon is slightly higher.

dukeduvet

I bought one after seeing this thread but seems to be faulty. When you plug in to charge I presume you get a charge light?

stumpy01

On mine, there’s an orange light that pulses on & off when it’s charging. It’s a little window near the power button.

I think it went solid after a while, which I took to mean it was fully charged.

This is for a front. I assume the rear would be similar, if not the same.

jekkyl

I have been to 4 aldis and haven’t been able to get any. 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Yeah not too sure if they are worth buying, I picked up two sets of those 2led ones that run on cr2032 batteries for £2.99, they seem very visible but according to my LBS they are not good enough?!”

I also bought some – They are bright yes ,very directional though and i would not want them as my only rear light – i was riding behind the wife home from the pub last friday with hers on – and once you stray off centre its very very dim – it also doesnt seem very bright under street lights.

Good for a second flashy light but not as a main rear light IMO.

I bought one of the moon copys for the back as a rear light to replace it.

dukeduvet

Thanks Stumpy, had mine on two laptops and nothing. Back to aldi it is…

perchypanther
    Free Member

I tried my New Aldi moon copies out last night.
    Not bad at all very bright but diffuse, more of a benefit to being seen than actually seeing anything.
    Did frighten the bejeebus out of some old guy when I charged through the woods with two of these Aldi Numbers on the bars plus a 1000 lumen spot plus 2 x 100 lumen torches on my helmet.
    The poor old bloke told me that he thought he was about to be abducted by “Martians” 😯
    Thinking of mounting them vertically on the front of my forks to give me more illumination at ground level directly in front of the bike.

stumpy01

perchypanther – Member

I tried my New Aldi moon copies out last night.
    Not bad at all very bright but diffuse, more of a benefit to being seen than actually seeing anything.

Thinking of mounting them vertically on the front of my forks to give me more illumination at ground level directly in front of the bike.

Tried my front yesterday as a flasher on the bars to supplement my main light. It worked well, but I did find the flashing light a bit distracting. Will see if I get used to it.
    It is actually brighter than I expected. I am not going to charge it until it turns off, to see how much run time I get out of it.

I debated getting one of the rears to mount vertically on the RHS seatstay, but I wasn’t sure if the angle adjustment on the mount would be sufficient for it to face backwards, rather than upwards. Also not sure if the mount would attach around a skinny tube. Didn’t bother I the end.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It worked well, but I did find the flashing light a bit distracting.

That’s for sure 😯
    There is a setting which is clearly unsuitable for epiliptics.
    Flashes so quickly it would only be suitable for nightclubs, waltzers or adjusting the ignition timing on a 1978 Cortina.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I bought one of the rears and fitted it today. It keeps drooping and pointing at the ground, I tightened the screw as much as I dare, but no difference. To move it by hand it seems pretty secure, and it seems well held when it clicks into place, but it must be dropping when I’m moving.
    Anyone else had this?

lightman
    Free Member

I had that with one, but I did as you did and tightened the screw and that fixed the problem.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’ve just given it another half turn, it seems better, I’ll try it. But it feels like any more turning and its gonna strip.

vondally
    Free Member

Are these around six quid with a long red led and a black torch with six pencil batteries?

CraigW
    Free Member

Are these around six quid with a long red led and a black torch with six pencil batteries?

No, that’s the basic lights.
    The Moon Comet copies are the ‘premium’ lights, they cost £9 each for either front or rear. And they have a built in rechargeable battery.

Look like this

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Used my rear tonight off road for the first time ( getting to and from the off road bits)
    I thought the under saddle bracket looked a bit flimsy but it held up fine. Works well with a dropper post and pretty bright.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Aldi Moon Comet Lights’ is closed to new replies.