Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Aldi goodness….. pizza time
  • duncancallum

Hola

Aldi has bbq stuff including a unni pizza oven copy @ off at a 130 quid.

Just the job for next to your inflatable fetid sex pond

danmac
    Free Member

Thanks for the fetid sex pond reference… It has genuinely just bought a tear to my eye with laughter!!

Drac

Seen that probably not too bad entry level or occasional use.

airvent
    Free Member

That sounds like a fair price although for what it’s worth we make pizzas from fresh bases in our regular fan oven and it comes out as good as anything from people’s pizza ovens but with far less effort, so it’s more of a hobby thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

make pizzas from fresh bases in our regular fan oven and it comes out as good as anything from people’s pizza ovens but with far less effort, so it’s more of a hobby thing.

Sounds like you don’t know anyone that can use their ooni tbh. I’ve had to use the fan oven and a stone a few times when the doughs prepared but I run out of gas and it just ends up chewy -or over done. It just isn’t hot enough to get a nice base .

Fwiw I used to think the same….. But then I went to a friends house who had a competent ooni operator and my mind was changed.

Drac

That sounds like a fair price although for what it’s worth we make pizzas from fresh bases in our regular fan oven and it comes out as good as anything from people’s pizza ovens but with far less effort, so it’s more of a hobby thing.

I use to think that and probably posted the same on here. I was wrong, I mean really wrong, there is no comparison.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha that says something both me and drac saying we were wrong and putting our hands in our pockets

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

100% what trail rat and drac say!.

scuttler

Sex ponds are soooo 2020. Budget-beach-deathtrap-RNLI-calls-included paddle boards are where it’s at.

airvent
    Free Member

Sounds like you don’t know anyone that can use their ooni tbh. I’ve had to use the fan oven and a stone a few times when the doughs prepared but I run out of gas and it just ends up chewy -or over done. It just isn’t hot enough to get a nice base .

Or maybe you don’t know how to use your fan oven 😉

I’m easily pleased, my dad’s really good at using his Roccbox and the enjoyment of seeing it get used is nice, but it’s not sufficiently better for me that I’d bother.

The difference isn’t night and day to my pallette so the initial cost, faff, warm up time etc isn’t worth it.

CountZero

I just buy basic pizzas from Iceland at £1/1.50 a pop, then embellish with extra toppings that I happen to have kicking around – olives, salami, peppers, cheese, red onion…

grum
    Free Member

Where are you seeing this? Can’t see it on Aldi website only the £40 BBQ one.

Pizza oven pizzas are miles better but it can be tricky to get them well cooked without burning.

sadexpunk
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Or maybe you don’t know how to use your fan oven

Try as I might 250c oven just can’t get the stone to 450,c so yeah I’m probably using it wrong

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

“That sounds like a fair price although for what it’s worth we make pizzas from fresh bases in our regular fan oven and it comes out as good as anything from people’s pizza ovens but with far less effort, so it’s more of a hobby thing.”

Got to be a troll post😵😃

We have progressed with the home pizza making tools-

Stone for the oven, made the base better but not much else.

BBQ add on – was really good but took way longer to cook for each pizza. Shit for when you have guests.

Gas ooni- maybe not 60s a pizza but pretty close. Just dont walk away from the oven and keep turning. Amazing pizza,

Aldi pizza base is a great back up for when you screw up the dough. Although dont try to make it into a ball and roll. Anybody know why it just wont roll back into a circle?, like when the yeast has failed on my diy dough.I just roll it this and cut it in half for a rustic Zizzi stle base.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Got to be a troll post😵😃

Nah that’s countzeros post.

FuzzyWuzzy

Has anyone cooked a pizza in a pyrolytic oven when it’s doing it’s self-cleaning thing? I’ve not got one but don’t they get crazy hot?

sprootlet
    Free Member

I think the oven door locks when you turn it onto pyrolytic clean cycle – at least that’s what Heston said when he looked at ways of cooking at very high temps…..

nixie

@airvent respectfully you are talking tosh. A fan oven will not produce pizza as good as a hotter pizza oven. Closest we have got without a proper oven is the pizza pilgrims pan then grill method. That’s better than a fan oven but still not proper oven standard.

//Troll mode on
    Not that those flimsy metal things are proper ovens in my opinion. Heavy oven all the way.

sharkbait
    Free Member

The difference isn’t night and day to my pallette so the initial cost, faff, warm up time etc isn’t worth it.

Warm-up times:
    2019 Neff oven: 7 mins
    Gas ooni: 10 mins

Drac

10 minutes? That seems quick

trail_rat
    Free Member

No idea which you have but I cover the opening with a stone during heat up on my koda. Makes it quicker as well

nixie

7 minutes for a domestic oven to max temp seems optimistic as well. When doing bread in ours we heat soak at max (270c) for 40 minutes (with the empty dutch oven in there heat soaking) before trying to cook. If your using a stone in a domestic oven it needs ages to get properly heat soaked. It also ideally needs a decent gap between each pizza to reheat or they progressively get worse.

I just roll it

Rolling is bad, it destroys the texture. Hand shaping is not the eaiset skill but does result in better pizza (much like using a sourdough mix instead of instant yeast also does).

sharkbait
    Free Member

10 minutes? That seems quick

That’s how long mine takes to get the stone to 450c.
    I leave the door on as it seems to draw the flame across roof and up the chimney. That’s using propane and a 37mbar regulator.

Drac

Ah! It’ll be the door boosting it, my Koda takes about 20 minutes.

airvent
    Free Member

Guys I get it, but it is opinion not fact. My post was only really to make people think before blindly rushing into buying a deal on something they might not need or use of they’re happy with how stuff comes out of the oven, which I am.

I’ve not got a particularly refined pallate clearly…

sandboy

A quick review for anyone interested. I got delivery of the pizza oven on Friday and used it last night for the first time and the pizza was ok but I knew with a bit more practice they would be much better. Just done some more for lunch and have to say I’m impressed. It gets hot quickly and once you get your timing right the pizza came out very well. The key is to keep the fire box well topped up. My two teenagers think it’s great!

boondock

I got one too, used it for the first time on Friday, wasn’t mega impressed. I had plenty of pellets in it (too many at one point as I restricted the air flow at one point and it went out), there was a good flame licking across the roof of the oven but I couldn’t get the pizza stone hot enough. I left it to pre-heat for ages but ended up with bases which weren’t crispy enough on the bottom. I’ll keep playing with it to see if I can get the hang of it.
    There is a baffle between the fire box area and the cooking area which I’m thinking of drilling out the rivets to improvement the heat transfer……

meeeee
    Free Member

I got one too but my first attempt was a disaster, not sure if my dough was too wet (was a Jamie Oliver kit that’s all they had in the supermarket at the time), or if the stone thing wasn’t hot enough.

Then it fell apart when I removed it as I didn’t have a big pizza paddle thing! Ordered one off Amazon for my next attempt.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

sandboy

Any tips would be much appreciated

I just watched a few YouTube videos to get an idea before I had a go.
    As far as I can tell, light the fire box and when there’s lots of flames, then I placed it in the hole. You need to keep it topped up with pellets to maintain a hot temp because as soon as you open the door to turn your pizza the temperature drops quite a bit.
    The key is to gauge how long to keep it in the oven before opening the door to turn the pizza which helps to maintain high temperature.
    We used softwood pellets which burn at a higher temperature than hard wood pellets, the dough was about 2-3mm thick and not too much topping.
    Give it 5 minutes between pizzas so it can get back up to speed and you’ve got time to fill the fire box and get everything else sorted before going again.
    I’m very much a novice but the above is what I did and we had 3 crispy pizza after about 10 previous attempts. My kids got involved which was an unexpected bonus!

funkrodent

Guys I get it, but it is opinion not fact. My post was only really to make people think before blindly rushing into buying a deal on something they might not need or use of they’re happy with how stuff comes out of the oven, which I am.

Which is fair enough, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that.

Key thing though is that ‘proper’ pizza – like granny from Naples makes it – should be cooked in an oven that’s in the region of 450°. Standard domestic ovens get to approx half that. So you’ll never get that crispy base. Which is only an issue if that’s what you want I guess..

trail_rat
    Free Member

So you’ll never get that crispy base. Which is only an issue if that’s what you want I guess..

Oh you can but it’s the driest crunchiest thing known to man. Not nice.

As for pizzas from Iceland. You enjoy your cheese analog cheese substitute.

sadexpunk

Any tips would be much appreciated!

i dont use the pellets and it looks like youve got some good advice on that already, so i’ll concentrate on your dough which you also seem to be struggling with.

i dont know what the JO recipe is, but compare it to this one which i use, see if its any drier than yours. this is for 2 x 180g bases so adjust accordingly.
    flour 220g
    water 140g
    salt 4g
    instant yeast 1.2g
    skoosh of olive oil.

Then it fell apart when I removed it as I didn’t have a big pizza paddle thing! Ordered one off Amazon for my next attempt.

im guessing its a metal peel youve ordered. i use a wooden one to chuck it in, metal to take out, but metal is still be good enough for loading anyway. the trick tho is to have the dough on the peel for as little time as possible to stop it sticking. so i stretch the dough and when everythings prepared, ready to go on i’ll put it on the peel. the peel will already have a sprinkling of semolina, rice flour or polenta on it, they act as tiny ball bearings to help it slide off. quickly add the toppings and straight into the oven before it gets chance to stick.

hope that helps

theotherjonv

i’ve got a metal peel for turning and removing, but a couple of wooden peels that cost me about a fiver each, that way the kids can be working on shaping and loading on the wooden ones (with a semolina sprinkle for sliding) and then launch them from that.

As you’re loading up, a quick jiggle of the peel to stop it sticking helps as well.

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve found that preparing the base early is a bad economy. Base sticks to surface. My method is to stretch the base, with a load of flour on surface. Sprinkle semolina flour on slice and a load on the top of base. Flip base over and into slice. Put on toppings and slide into oven. I use a spatula to help if it doesn’t slide off. I only have a metal slice.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I basically do that, but don’t use semolina flour. Work quickly, everything to hand, no need for anything else to help stickin.

dyna-ti

I see the onni 16″ is £500. But most seem not to realize that a commercial single deck oven is only 100 quid more and you can probably fit 4×12″ pizzas at one time.
    Electrical though, not quite the same as sitting in the garden wearing 3 jackets, a scarf, a hat and a pair of waterproof trousers.

Drac

I went for a potable oven as I want to take it away with me on holidays, days out and to friends.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your not thinking Drac.

Just need a long extension cord /wind turbine / solar panels.

Then you can plug in a small fan heater too and won’t need 3 jackets

dyna-ti

Still stalking me with sarcastic comments Ratty ?.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Aldi goodness….. pizza time’ is closed to new replies.