• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by andeh.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Aldi Ferrex compressor for tubeless tyres?
  • luv2ride
    Free Member

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-portable-compressor-1100w/p/090352319982100?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9D0BRCMARIsAIfvfIbtRhLM63DO7gZIem2LSDYwxMOanP1H_MGTCHfboy_Vn834K5rnvXUaAv8rEALw_wcB#product-reviews

Any good for mounting tubeless tyres? Reviews seem indifferent and couldn’t make out whether the necessary attachment for presta valves were included…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Would have thought for tubeless seating you need a quick blast of air rather than a slow inflation. Maybe something like this would be better:-

https://www.lineonline.co.uk/stanley-dn-200-8-6-portable-air-compressor-6-lt.html?fee=51&fep=42662&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9D0BRCMARIsAIfvfIaXECKpffyahzt34eYnrjGdogoSnVqyvDUjwthZqqV3NUkWCP-C-FoaAha2EALw_wcB

I would have thought with something like this you can pressurise the tank, then using an air tool attachment give a fast blast of air into the tyre to mount it.

colournoise

I use one of those for tubeless inflation all the time. Hasn’t failed me yet.

BUT…

It did take some little effort to get it working with a Presta valve. Ended up buying a double headed pump adapter and fettling with trimming pipes and jubilee clips.

Tracey

We have two, both bought in their sales at half price. One mounted on the wall in the garage and one in the camper.
    They will blow up and mount tyres with no problems although a bit noisy.
    Ours came with the necessary attachments, brass ones, for both types of valve. Had them a few years and if one went bust would buy the equivalent again.
    If you want it to spray cars and use a multitude of air tools then you need a proper man compressor. 😉
    If you want it to do what you say then it will do the job no problems 😁

devonboy
    Free Member

What makes a compressor work well inflating tubeless tyres is not so much the air pressure generated but the size of the tank ie the tank provides a large reservoir of compressed air.Without the tank you simply have an electric pump.

clubby

Bought one last week and was useless for getting tubeless to seat. Was bought to replace 12v car inflator, but would have been good if tubeless had worked as well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a compressor and a tubeless track pump.

The former is going on ebay, I prefer the track pump.

EDIT I’ve just seen the Also reference – mine was from there also, probably 10 years ago. The flow isn’t great and also it leaks meaning it has to run every time I use it.

donks
    Free Member

I just buy a £1.50 inflator cartridge from decathlon and just go full open, this has never failed me so far. On the very odd occasion it doesn’t go first time a second one gets it. Then once seated, sealant top ups are done through the valve till you need a new tyre more or less.

maccruiskeen

What makes a compressor work well inflating tubeless tyres is not so much the air pressure generated but the size of the tank

You’re only having to store enough air to fill a bicycle tyre – which isn’t very much in the scheme of things – which is why you can fill a tyre from a 16gram cartridge. Compressors like the the one in the OP don’t have a tank as such –  but actually when the compressor is attached to your tyre via a length of hose then that hose  itself is full of compressed air.  Its effectively a long bendy high pressure air receiver- more volume than you’d have in a CO2 cartridge – more than enough for a bike tyre.

Rubber_Buccaneer

To seat a tricky tyre it’s the flow rate and how long it can be sustained that I think matters most. A big reservoir can do that for you or if that Aldi compressor can sustain a decent flow rate that will be fine. Personally I hate the noise of a compressor and have never needed more than a flash charger or equivalent

jkomo

I have one, it works fine getting tubeless up.

scc999

Used mine for the 1st time today to seat a tyre, worked fine.

Noisy, but hassle free.

Si

Nick

I’ve had an Aldi compressor for a few years, makes seating tubeless really easy, no brainer for £50

andeh

Historically I never had any trouble seating tubeless tyres until my most recent rim/tyre combination.

Living in the middle of nowhere, wanted to ride my bike. 2L pop bottle wrapped in duct tape, 2 holes drilled in the cap, 2 spare valves stuck in the holes, small section of plastic tube (pinched with pliers to seal). This was a year or so ago, the thing is still in the shed working fine. Whack it up to 120psi then uncrimp the pipe.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Aldi Ferrex compressor for tubeless tyres?’ is closed to new replies.