Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Aldi cycling kit soon – performance pro stuff!
  • thegreatpotato
    Free Member

The base layer looks a bit Tron-like.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/coming-soon/cycling/

D0NK

Ooooh will keep an eye out for that.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

mmmm

cp

Oh God, lebkuchen.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Sadly no Aldi in Northern Ireland, wouldn’t mind a pair of leggings, anyone fancy helping me out will pay the postage?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ooooh will keep an eye out for that.

Looks like it will be easier to get matching team kit 😉

I am interested though as they cheap stuff is good enough and this hints at being waterproof and breathable like say stealth but at a third the price [ i would assume perhaps even less]

cr500dom
    Free Member

Cheers for the headsup, I shall be there when the doors open as I missed out on the last lot 🙁

sandwicheater

Just tucking into them at the moment chunkypaul, nom nom.

SammyC
    Free Member

The base layer looks a bit Tron-like.

*thinks he looks*

*in reality looks*

D0NK

is slightly disappointed
    Tights are padded so I’m oot, softshell* front of thighs normal fleece elsewhere. Was hoping for softshell all over.
    Jackets are OK but again not softshell “just” a nicely fitting zip up jersey of roubaix-alike material, would have been tempted for £20 but I’ll give it a miss this time.
    Got some socks seem ok, bit longer than usual buit still below calf, seem comfy.
    Got a “pro” baselayer, bit like the old baselayers but with extra bits on elbows front of forearm (when riding on drops) shoulder etc, anything that catches the wind really.

*I always thought softshell was windproof bit of showerproofing, apologies if it’s not

soma_rich
    Free Member

I really like the bib tights picked some up this morning. Really good quality fabric and I prefer a pad so I dont have to have two layers.

Socks seem a bit thicker than usual which is a bonus 🙂

For £30 they are a steal with a brand on them the tights would sell for >£60 easily!

D0NK

how do they fit soma? I’m XL tights with the usual brands but the Aldi XL looked a bit on the wide side and a little short. Maybe they are squarely aiming at the STW market 😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

I havn’t tried them on yet but there stuff usually comes up big and short. I went for L hoping they would stretch quite a bit 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The ‘performance cycling shirt’ for £18 looks as though it has a windproof front according to the box, but is not the same as a full soft shell.

There’s no mention of windproof on the performance cycling jacket.

That said, I still bought one of the shirts, baselayers and jackets plus some socks.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I posted this elsewhere and hope it helps.

I went along and got the jacket, bibs, base layer and two pair of socks.

Jacket is good, somewhere between heavy jersey and jacket though. Quite a roadie cut, tight long arms but a fairly short tail on it. Should work well for all but the coldest days and will work well as a layering piece. The neck is quite comfy too and the back looks very breathable. Loads of reflective detailing if your worried about the colour schemes. All in all a nice bit of kit, check the size though, if it was twice the price with another branding you wouldn’t be surprised.

Base layer is nice too, loads more vented and feature laden than the normal base layers, should work well with the jacket

Bibs I did not like. Pad is pretty thin which in itself doesn’t mean it would be uncomfortable but its quite unsubstantial. The zip is a bit pointless, though it does help you get them on I suppose but its only about 5″ long. The worst part for me is the materials, the upper legs have a softshell type material which whilst it may be warm is quite a stiff fabric, feels almost like a big padded front, also gives you a bit of a moose knuckle (google at your own risk). Not a problem if you were after a really warm set of bibs but the rest of the bib is made from quite a light lycra, maybe in practice keeping your knackers and quads warm will suffice but they seem over engineered to me an flawed with it. I did only try in the house though. I’ve already taken them back. They have trousers as well which don’t appear to have the same design but I’m more a bib guy.

Socks seems as good as all the other Aldi bike socks, I’ve not noticed what makes them ‘Pro’ but I will compare with some others I have in the drawer.

So Jacket good, but try for size, base layer also good, bibs not for me and socks are socks. FWIW I’ve lost a load of weight recently but the large is borderline for me, whereas I was always large when I was heavier…if that makes sense.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I want to know when they’re getting the winter gloves back in, as I’ve managed to miss the boat in previous years.

D0NK

So Jacket good, but try for size, base layer also good, bibs not for me and socks are socks. FWIW I’ve lost a load of weight recently but the large is borderline for me, whereas I was always large when I was heavier…if that makes sense.

yep the jacket was definitely slimmer fit than usual, my L jacket from the last aldi sale is fine on my arms but baggy around the body (but is “proper” softshell), the new L jacket fit really well all over.

Socks are wool, think they’ve always been standard sock material before, these should be a bit warmer, dunno if that makes them performance socks tho

igm

Just looked in the local Aldis. Loads of the non-bid tights – fail, winter tights without a bid just let the cold in / heat out at the waist. Small or medium only in the bid tights and not many if them (16st ex rugby player says no chance). Jackets and shirts look OK but nothing special.

I’ll pass.

stumpy01

Not really got involved on the Aldi bargain stuff before, but might have a look on the way home.
    The tops sound more promising than the bottoms…

zilog6128

I got the bibs this morning as well as a “winter cycling jacket” (£16, I don’t think it was part of today’s special buys as I got the last one and they had loads of everything else). The jacket is excellent, pretty warm with just a light base layer underneath. Fit is good too, quite close with (as above) weirdly long arms (not long enough to be a problem though).

Bibs are OK for the money. As noted above there is a material on the upper leg which looks a bit weird (I wear baggies over them for the commute though so that doesn’t bother me). Didn’t find it kept my knackers warm though! The rest of the material (lower legs, etc) is a bit thin.

The base layers seemed a bit pointless to me – I wasn’t impressed by the “technical features” so I didn’t get any.

The socks seemed good but – like everything else – not really suited to cold weather, so a bit of an odd time of year to start selling them IMO.

Sizing seemed good, I am a medium in most DHB stuff and all the medium Aldi stuff I tried fitted well.

onandon
    Free Member

I had a good look at the stuff today but didn’t buy anything.

Socks- no good for winter as they are too thin.
    Jacket-looks ok but I don’t need one.
    Base layer- lots of panels and vents etc didn’t buy any as tk maxx have propper craft cycling base layers for £16 at the moment which look to be far better quality.
    Bibs – the pad is really thin, it would have been better of they had left it out altogether.
    Look pretty good for the moment but halfords are doing the sportful winter bibs for £35 which are better quality and have a propper full pad.

Not against aldi stuff in any way, I just found this selection pretty poor considering the other deals that are around right now.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Last pair ofr aldi bibs i bought had seam right up the centre of the arse the pad, was not good for abrasion to the bawbag!

thetallpaul
    Free Member

I bought a few of the items:

Bib tights. Good length for 6’4″ bloke in XL, but a bit baggy in the middle. Probably going to take these back.
    Pro Jacket. Form fitting, and the long arms are perfect for me. Bit shorter in the body than other jackets I have, but combined with bibs (use dhb 3/4 at the mo) should be fine.
    Base layers look good. Use some from last year and like them.
    Going to see if I can escape to TKMaxx to look at the craft base layers though.

Blackhound

Bought some medium bib pants but will be taking them back. There is a lot of material in the crotch area which I seem unable to fill! The seam around the knee sort of rubs as the legs moved. I tried them on and did 30 seconds on the turbo.

Not to impressed really but sizing more generous than I expected. I had planned to wear bib shorts under them anyway for comfort so not concerned about thin pad. I would say all the reflective material could have been useful in winter.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Aldi cycling kit soon – performance pro stuff!’ is closed to new replies.