• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Bazz.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Aldi bread.
  • gears_suck
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on how they make it so it goes moldy so quickly.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not much preservative. ?

Cheaper to make.

sparkyrhino

pick off the mould and toast it 🙄

project
    Free Member

I always thought it was sold with a green tinge to it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    Not much preservative. ?

Cheaper to make.

POSTED 34 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Exactly. Most supermarket loaves don’t get mouldy for ages, god knows how much shite they put in them. Lidl baked in house bread is pretty good, and cheap too.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Bingo

richc
    Free Member

or more likely they buy it when its short dated, hence cheaper.

Nothing wrong with that.

bake your own much cheaper.

nealglover
    Free Member

or more likely they buy it when its short dated, hence cheaper.

I used to deliver it. They buy it the same as everyone else.
    It’s made, packaged, and delivered.

Same as co-op, sainsbury’s etc.

The “baked in store” stuff at lidl is par-baked and frozen at there depot in the north east, then delivered and baked off in store. It’s nice too, but not quite as good as proper fresh baked IMO.

steveh

That’s very unlikely I’d say Richc, working in the food industry all the supermarkets demand very similar things and bread is baked and in all stores within 24 hours.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I dont thinks it anything to do with buying short dated bread some is their own brand, more like low overheads and good contracts.

There was a bit on Tv where they priced up home baked bread against shop bought and home baked was more expensive but what did they taste like ?

Bazz

There was a bit on Tv where they priced up home baked bread against shop bought and home baked was more expensive but what did they taste like ?

Really 😯 that genuinely surprises me, i bake bread at home and a bag of bread flour is less than £2 and i can get 3 large loaves out of that, yeast and salt are pennies per serving for bread and the water comes out the tap, a fresh baked loaf in Sainsburys is £1.30ish, i reckon my loaves cost less than a quid and are bigger.

MrOvershoot

Bazz what bread flour are you using?

Bazz

Sainsburys strong white or wholemeal, 1.5kg

wysiwyg
    Free Member

How much in leccy though?

Mikeypies
    Free Member

they did cost it all including yeast, oil was the most expensive ingredient which was new to me, oil in bread !

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Lol nealglover you know more about the bread I sell than I do

pymwymis
    Free Member

You do / can add some fat to the dough. I always do. I’m with Bazz though. You can get 3 nice loaves from 1.5kg. Everything else costs buttons. The ovens only on for 40 mins total inc getting to temperature.

nealglover
    Free Member

Lol nealglover you know more about the bread I sell than I do

He he 🙂

I deliver for a bakery, and know a few bakers.

Plus I do like bread !

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

“oil in bread ! “
    try an egg in a bread maker

Mackem

Put some chorizo in the bread when cooking it. Choripan – it’s lovely.

rOcKeTdOg

aldi salt n pepper bread is amazing, they don’t have it often enough though!

metal_leg
    Free Member

Our local co-op keep the bread back to back with a chiller unit. Warm air from the chiller creates and ideal mould growing environment for plastic wrapped bread. The breads mouldy on the shelf the same day its delivered.

Of course, I have told them, but I am just some lycra clad middle aged nutter ranting on about mouldy bread.

MrOvershoot

Bazz – Member

Sainsburys strong white or wholemeal, 1.5kg
    Cheers, will look up what protein it is, though that could be slightly misleading as to if its natural gluten or added!

Bazz

Well i’ve just done my weekly shop and thought i’d price up one of my loaves, for the ingredients it comes to 45p, obviously this doesn’t include water from my tap 350ml (in case anyone knows the water meter rate) and the power for the oven. But even taking this into account i’d be surprised if it came out more than the equivalent loaf from the supermarket bakery (£1.30).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Aldi bread.’ is closed to new replies.