• This topic has 41 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Alcohol minimum unit pricing a success…
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

…according to today’s report, especially amongst the heaviest drinkers.

No doubt some folk here will still know better!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Haven’t read it but I bet it only stops less well off people drinking as much.

the-muffin-man

News reports next week – “Surge in Illegal Moonshine Distilleries!” 🙂

…or perhaps they’ve moved on to Spice.

kcal

Have they noticed a matching uptake in sales in Berwick-on-Tweed Asda?

hooli

From what I read (very quickly so may have missed some detail) is that the scheme has reduced the amount of cheap, strong cider and own brand spirits being sold.

That is not the same as people drinking less, they may well have just moved away from the cheap nasty stuff as it now costs the same as something a bit better.

martinhutch

https://www.bmj.com/content/366/bmj.l5274

Definitely encouraging – I’d still worry slightly about some of the assumptions*, and whether their core survey group could recruit enough low-income problem drinking households to accurately gauge impact. Though, TBH, medium and high-income binge drinking is as pressing a social issue.

Certainly nothing in there which suggests it has failed, and plenty of good signs that it is having a positive impact.

*they used England as the control group during a record-breaking summer where England reached the WC semis as a comparator for Scotland, which didn’t qualify for the finals and didn’t have quite the same extreme weather. Could this have made Scotland look better because England was on the piss?

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s been hailed as a massive success by the big Asda in Carlisle

5plusn8
    Free Member

Have they measured if the people spending less are drinking less, and are they the target group? If so then that is good.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Without reading all the details and facts (because that would be boring) I’ve seen the headline that it’s equivalent of half a pint (or one spriit measure) less. When I saw that I assumed that it would be classed as a failure but that seems to be a success.
    So, the person who drinks 3 litres of Frosty Jacks each day now drinks 20.7 litres in a week instead of the previous 21 litres? Yep, seems like problem solved to me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As irc and Macruiskeen rightly pointed out in the other thread about this, we won’t know if it’s been a success for a number of years yet really.

I hope it works, and I’m in the ‘we have to do SOMETHING’ camp, here’s hoping. IMO there needs to be a cultural shift, everything seems to centre around alcohol now, go to the xmas area in George square in Glasgow, it’s all gin bars etc, used to be only fitba fans and alcies drank on the train, now it’s women necking prosecco etc frinstance.

Fingers crossed.

irc

“Have they noticed a matching uptake in sales in Berwick-on-Tweed Asda?”

As it happens while on holiday in Northumberland last week found some whisky on clearance in Tesco. 5 bottles of single malt at £11 each (Tesco own brand Highland) and 1 bottle of Grouse Bourbon Cask at £10. Also bought 5 bottles of Aldi Gin at £10 each. Around £35 savings on Scottish minimum price.

philjunior
    Free Member

My thoughts exactly.

philjunior
    Free Member

I hope it works, and I’m in the ‘we have to do SOMETHING’ camp, here’s hoping. IMO there needs to be a cultural shift, everything seems to centre around alcohol now, go to the xmas area in George square in Glasgow, it’s all gin bars etc, used to be only fitba fans and alcies drank on the train, now it’s women necking prosecco etc frinstance.

We’re all going to die. Lots of things make this more likely to happen sooner. Alcohol is one of those things, but it seems (to me) to all be a bit “plastic straws”. What needs to be available is proper support for people who have significant problems, and awareness for the population in general, but what we have is a Protestant-guilt driven campaign from the SNP.

And if responsible adults (rich or poor) want to have a drink, or even more drinks than is advisable, that’s their call. As with other lifestyle choices. I’d love to see everyone look after themselves better, but this is just being seen to do something, rather than really helping much at all.

Do the women drinking in posh bars really represent less of a health problem than football fans? I’ve seen plenty of drunken staggering women, don’t see it as less or more of a problem tbh.

Kit
    Free Member

Market research shows young people (under 25) are drinking less than previous generations. SOmething like 25% of young people now don’t drink. I don’t know what the cause of that decline is, but it’s a trend that pre-dates minimum alcohol pricing.

There does seem to be a worrying trend for e.g. gins to be low alcohol, sugary and fruity. Alcopops are now dressed up as ‘gin’, and the RTD (ready to drink, G&T in a can kinda thing) market seems to be doing very well. Minimum pricing doesn’t really affect the ability of these drinks to sell since the folks buying them have the cash to spend.

martinhutch

Do the women drinking in posh bars really represent less of a health problem than football fans? I’ve seen plenty of drunken staggering women, don’t see it as less or more of a problem tbh.

Definitely not. In fact, the growing scale of the ‘half a bottle of wine a night’ issue will most likely be a more significant problem over the long term.

Luckily there are still a few things where we are world-leaders, eh?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/24/british-women-now-among-top-drinkers-world/

Dickyboy

some whisky on clearance in Tesco

Always order the 1 litre bottles of spirit from tesco online, if they are out of stock they’ll substitute with two 70cl bottles for price of the 1 litre 😉

gordimhor

@Philjunior I think MUP is an evidence based campaign. Price rises through taxation were the main tactic used to discourage smoking for decades. That option was not available so the SNP government sought another means of increasing the price.

No one really knows if the policy will be successful yet, imo we need to give it another 8 years or so. The drink industry clearly think it will be effective or else they wouldn’t have fought it in the courts for so long

seosamh77
    Free Member

tbh women and bevvy are much worse than fitba fans. The like of take that concerts at hampden are utter carnage! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

Regarding the minimum pricing, tbh it might have some success, but it’ll be very limited imo. People have a lot of disposible income at all levels of society these days.

hence….

https://www.scotsman.com/news/crime/cocaine-usage-on-the-rise-across-scotland-warns-support-group-1-4948042

jp-t853

My wife was in Aldi at Penrith earlier this week and the guy in front had a trolley full of booze. ‘That’s your weekend sorted’ said the cashier. He replied that he lived in Scotland and was passing so pulled in to stock up. The cider is £5 odd in Scotland and £1 odd in England.

That said it must be having a positive effect combined with the lower drink drive limits. People who really want a kick will look elsewhere however

alanw2007

Er – not everyone in Scotland lives within a few km of the border you know.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Er – not everyone in Scotland lives within a few km of the border you know.

Virtually no one in the UK lives within a few km of France but Booze Cruises are a thing.

I could drive to Carlisle ( the Asda is within 500 yards of the M6 Junction) in an hour.

There are people who make regular trips from my home town to stock up on cheaper booze for parties / social clubs / resale in corner shops / general alcoholism

cynic-al
    Free Member

And if responsible adults (rich or poor) want to have a drink, or even more drinks than is advisable, that’s their call. As with other lifestyle choices.

Of course, let’s leave those with addiction and dependency issues to their own fate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We’re all going to die. Lots of things make this more likely to happen sooner. Alcohol is one of those things, but it seems (to me) to all be a bit “plastic straws”. What needs to be available is proper support for people who have significant problems, and awareness for the population in general, but what we have is a Protestant-guilt driven campaign from the SNP.

It’s not just about health though, the town I live in is a go to place for anyone within 30 miles for a night out, it’s fine just now, but I can see it getting worse, and the anti-social behaviour that comes with it spiralling too.

I have no idea what anyone being a protestant has to do with it.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

I think the issues surrounding alcohol need to be adressed in the same way as cigarettes, in the 50s,60s and 70s and before, everyone thought they were fine and did no harm, then we realised that they were killing people. Cigarette companies produce a product that kills people, likewise alcohol companies produce a product that causes 6% of worldwide deaths yearly! As said above we need a culture shift!

Oh and suggesting that people who give up alcohol have a problem is absurd, they are giving up their problem.

scotroutes

but what we have is a Protestant-guilt driven campaign from the SNP.

MUP was supported by all the parties at Holywood.

philjunior
    Free Member

Of course, let’s leave those with addiction and dependency issues to their own fate.

Of course, let’s selectively quote someone we disagree with. Or, to put it another way:

Of course

Cheers, glad you agree fully.

simondbarnes

5 bottles of single malt at £11 each (Tesco own brand Highland) and 1 bottle of Grouse Bourbon Cask at £10. Also bought 5 bottles of Aldi Gin at £10 each.

Blimey. That would take me 20+ years to get through.

Edukator
    Free Member

Point 1, also made above, alcohol consumption is falling in many countries particularly amongst 18-30 year olds.

Point 2, alcohol consumption is falling fast in some countries where 5% beer costs about the same as milk and the government is doing next to nothing to restrict sales. Italy, Spain, France

Point3, increases or decreases in concumption follow cultural and social trends more than price.

Lithuanians are the boosiest Europeans so it’s worth reading what they have to say:

https://www.lrt.lt/naujienos/news-in-english/19/1084115/lithuanians-are-drinking-less-but-not-because-of-government-s-restrictions-study

revs1972
    Free Member

5% beer costs about the same as milk and the government is doing next to nothing to restrict sales. Italy, Spain, France

Last time we were in Spain, a can of San Miguel was significantly cheaper in the corner shop than a can of coke.

taxi25
    Free Member

It’s not just about health though, the town I live in is a go to place for anyone within 30 miles for a night out, it’s fine just now, but I can see it getting worse, and the anti-social behaviour that comes with it spiralling too.

Drunkenness in city centres with most drinking being done in liscensed premises won’t be affected by minimum pricing.

globalti
    Free Member

On illicit booze, I do know of a place high up in the Pennines where I’m certain there are several stills operating. I wonder how much money that makes the owners?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Drunkenness in city centres with most drinking being done in liscensed premises won’t be affected by minimum pricing.

Nice selective quoting. I also said we need a cultural shift, and I don’t live in a city, if you’d read my post.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Last time we were in Spain, a can of San Miguel was significantly cheaper in the corner shop than a can of coke.

Some might argue that the Coke is worse for you.

duncancallum

What about knock off booze or drugs? They risen in usage?

Seems a convenient answer….

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i saw a program a few weeks back and middle aged scottish women were getting hooked on prescription opioids / crack and smack, as it was cheaper than booze..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Was that on channel 5 perchance sucka? 🤣

raybanwomble
    Free Member

SOmething like 25% of young people now don’t drink. I don’t know what the cause of that decline is, but it’s a trend that pre-dates minimum alcohol pricing.

**** hipsters that’s what. They’re a public health menace in their own right.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

**** hipsters that’s what. They’re a public health menace in their own right.

More likely coke and ket than beards and axes tbh.

tjagain

scotroutes

but what we have is a Protestant-guilt driven campaign from the SNP.

MUP was supported by all the parties at Holywood.

Except scoittish labour – or did they come round eventually?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Alcohol minimum unit pricing a success…’ is closed to new replies.