Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Alcohol Free beer reviews – Orders a big mixed box of them
  • ferrals
    Free Member

I mentioned it on the sober october thread but I like Drop bear beers. Their 0.5% stout is particualrly nice I think.

Keep seeing adverts for Days AF beer so will have a look at them too

pictonroad

Erdinger Blue is undrinkable.

just had a 0% Guinness. I was prepared to be disappointed but it’s really good, it’s gone on the list:

Ghost Ship 0.5%
    Tiny Rebel cwtch AF

Northern Monk 2.8% and Wiper and True small beer 2.7% get an honourable mention as excellent low alcohol options.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I tried the AF Guiness and it wasn;t too bad but I don’t really like guiness so not bothering again.

I seem to have defaulted to Nanny State as a drinkable beer that is only £35 for 48 cans delivered.

oikeith

I had a Warsteiner Fresh few weeks ago and it was really nice, been looking for it in the supermarkets but cant find it so am still picking up Becks Blue or Bavaria at the moment during the weekly shop, can say I am a full AF convert now.

DougD

For a lager, I think the Estrella Galicia 0.0 is pretty decent if you can get it.

igm

I seem to have defaulted to Nanny State

Oh dear. I think there are far better options. Most of the Big Drop range for example.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Most of the Big Drop range for example.

I tried a Paradiso Citra in the first mix I bought. Ok but not stand out. Nanny State may not be the best but it has a nicely bitter with citrus flavours.

The Big Drop wasn’t better enough to be £38 for 24 cans as opposed to £35 for 48. Also the Big Drop has over 3 times the calories which is also relevant when I am trying to lose weight as well.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Tried Free Damm 0.0% recently – not bad at all. A bit sweet, little bit hoppy.

Had 60 cans of AF Brewdog – Punk, Nanny State & Hazy – delivered the other day, despite me vowing never to buy from them again. It’s cheap and should keep me going for a while.

igm

Paradiso Citra isn’t their strongest. The Pine Trail mentioned earlier is excellent, Wildtrack is one on my wife’s favourites (I find it ok), and their Galactic is really nice. Quite like Waterslide too.

The Brewdog Coffee Stout was superb – but they stopped making it as only I liked it. Punk AF is passable but a bit weak, Nanny State just rough. The Hazy AF is ok too – but none of them are that good.

Brooklyn Special Effects is good, Infinite Session (whoever makes that) is nice.

Basically I find stouts and IPAs tend to work better than bitters and brown ales that can taste a bit thin and metallic.

Of course if stouts and IPAs aren’t your thing my advice will be worse than useless.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I guess I like rough but then I also eat lemons as fruit and don’t like chocolate, buscuits or cake. Each to their own I guess

🙂

igm

Agreed

jeffl

Tried some of the Aldi AF pilsner last week. Quite liked it, especially for the price. The citric acid gives it a bit of bite.

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-rheinbacher-premium-pilsner-0-alcohol-free-6x330ml/4088600325712

scotroutes

I finally managed to track down the 0% Guinness locally. It’s actually quite nice, fills the desire for a beer nicely. Handy as I’ve had a couple of late-night mercy dashes to hospital recently so drinking even less than usual.

BillMC

I love a beer but under no circumstances do I drink and drive. Was persuaded in a pub to have an ‘AF’ Ghost Ship and was a bit put out when I discovered it was 0.5% as I’m sure I could feel it taking the edge off my reactions. Fizzy water next time.

blokeuptheroad

I picked up a four pack of what I though was their own brand IPA in Sainsbury t’other day. Turned out to be AF, which I wasn’t expecting! It’s called ‘Infinite Session IPA’, I should have guessed. Anyhow, following my initial disappointment after expecting a full fat IPA, I was pleasantly surprised as it’s the nearest thing to a drinkable AF beer I’ve found, and I’ve tried a few. Well, low alcohol, not AF it’s 0.5% ABV.

igm

I did recommend it.

beej

Tried some of the Aldi AF pilsner last week. Quite liked it, especially for the price. The citric acid gives it a bit of bite.

This is my standard AF lageresque style beverage. Cheap too.

shermer75
    Free Member

The ones that have the alcohol removed are def the best ones- like Adam’s Ghost Ship

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Guinness AF for the win! Otherwise it’s Lucky Saint for something lighter

jeffl

I love a beer but under no circumstances do I drink and drive. Was persuaded in a pub to have an ‘AF’ Ghost Ship and was a bit put out when I discovered it was 0.5% as I’m sure I could feel it taking the edge off my reactions. Fizzy water next time.

Everyone is different but I’d be surprised if it had that much of an effect on you. A surprising amount of everyday items e.g. fruit juice, white bread, yogurt etc. have alcohol in them, so if you’re that affected don’t have a burger bun.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5421578/

STL

Not sure if it is on sale yet in the UK but Athletic Brewing Company makes some very tasty beer in a wide variety of styles – think sour to stouts and all between. Out of about 25-30 beers only had a couple that were not that great for my flavor preference. Not sure how they manage such a good job, suspect they have messed with yeast strains that brew the beer without creating alcohol as a by product. I’m willing to ignore the Lance as ambassador/part of their team!!!!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

This seemed a sensible place to do this since it’s already got a number of reviews up there but I ordered a DIY mixed case from Dry drinker and thought I’d give them a bit of a write up. (Probably about 10 minutes later than I should, sorry for the photo!)

So far as the shop goes they’ve a (very for low/no) good range of styles and breweries but I want keen on any of the set mixed cases so did a DIY one instead.

Mostly it’s be dark with the odd other one thrown in for good my measure which is about how I fill my beer supply when I’m not deliberately avoiding alcohol.

My case contained:

Lowtide BRUNE DMC 0.5%
    Nethergate Venture Point Five 0.5%
    HOEGAARDEN Belgian Beer 0.0%
    Force Majeure Tripel 0.0%
    Ollenaut Kaineken smoked Porter 0.5%
    Mikkeller Limbo Series Raspberry 0.3%
    Nirvana Kosmic Stout 0.0% – 330ml
    uNN Road Runner Coffee Stout 0.5%
    Samuel Smiths Brown Ale 0.5%
    Drop Bear Bonfire Stout 0.4%
    Nogne Milk Stout Alcohol Free 0.0%
    Athletic Brewing All Out Stout 0.5%

I’ve dipped into the hoegaarden this evening so in the spirit of the thread, here’s a pocket review:

Colour is a little more yellow than I recall for hoegaarden but it’s certainly got a reasonable appearance for a witbeer
    Mouth feel it’s ok, it’s got some body to it rather than the very thin feel you often get with af beer, not to syrupy but definitely feels like it’s got a fair bit of sugar in.
    No legs to speak of though.
    Flavour isn’t too bad, it’s very sweet – it’s been a long time since I drank the real one so maybe no more so than that – but with a good bitterness from the peel to the back and a bit of spice from the coriander.

Overall 6.5/10

On an aside I also tried some clean co, clean R golden spiced which is an af rum-alike. Quite drinkable but very little body and tastes very much like you’ve let too much ice melt in your rum. I’ll finish it but I’m unlikely to buy another, it might mix well but I’m the wrong person to comment on that.

zippykona

Free Dam is not horrible. Everyone I’ve given it to agreed. It does need a slice of orange in it though.

stingmered

See second post for my rather less eloquent review of the Hoegarden.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Another 0.5 that saved my seasonal chores/driving duties from being entirely beer-less has been Brewdog Nanny State.

Nice discovery. Spied it on offer (?) £1 a (small) bottle @ local Co-op.

Turned out that I prefer it slightly to the Ghost Ship 0.5 (which to date had been the only other very low-alcohol beer I’ve found to be palatable)

Nanny State made a cheese and onion sarnie go down much better than without any beer. I swear I could even taste hoppiness.

BruceWee

OK, after slagging off AF beer earlier in the thread, I’ve actually found one that I can drink and not get depressed. The Nøgne Milk Stout is very drinkable.

Ironically enough, here in Norway the only place I’ve found that sells it is the Vinmonopolet (the government run booze shop that is the only place you can buy booze over 4.5%).

The supermarkets have a big range of AF beer but they are all either undrinkable lager or IPAs. Recently this has been expanded further to include fruity lagers and IPAs which I hate even more than the normal ones.

For me, stouts are the obvious choice for AF beer since the stronger flavours mean that removing the alcohol doesn’t affect the taste nearly as much. I guess IPAs do the same thing but I find it quite seldom these days I’m in the mood for something with that much bitterness.

Still, finding one AF beer I like and have (somewhat restricted) access to is progress.

wait4me

Guinness zero is remarkably good. Pop it into the freezer for ten minutes to get it ice cold and you’d struggle to tell the difference to the full fat version.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

See second post for my rather less eloquent review of the Hoegarden.

Ha, yes, I can see it would definitely be possible to hate it but I’ve had much much worse at stuff in my time.

stingmered

Of the stuff I’ve drunk over the last year or so, I’ve struggled to get anything anywhere near as foul tasting. But back in the day (Kaliber!) you’re probably right.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve struggled to get anything anywhere near as foul tasting

I give you Beck’s blue and a panoply of similar lager things, st Peter’s something so horrible I’ve scrubbed the name from my mind, brewdog nanny state…

Taste is a personal thing of course but there is a long list for me.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve these to try this weekend after finally making my way through a case of canned Free Star (the bottled were great the canned had that metallic tinge to them)…..

mrlebowski
    Free Member
    ransos
    Free Member

I ordered a mixed case from Wise Bartender:

Adnams Ghost Ship
    Big Drop Pine Trail
    Infinite Session Alcohol Free Best Bitter
    Nirvana Classic IPA
    Beavertown Lazer Crush Alcohol Free IPA
    Drop Bear Tropical Alcohol Free IPA

All good so far. The best bitter was much nicer than I expected, given that AF beers I enjoy tend to be hoppy.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

After some ‘research’ throughout this month, I’d recommend Beavertown Lazer Crush. Bitberger by far the worst! Tonight I’m going to try (a very cold), AF Guiness. It’s a bit of a cop out but a slice of lime or a lemonade top can help some of the more gutless lagers a bit.

asbrooks

I know it’s an alcohol free beer thread, but if you are looking for something to drink, try the Kombucha for Holland & Barret
    Linky

The ginger & lemon linked is particularly nice, reminiscent of a citrus IPA without the horrible after taste.

ransos
    Free Member

After some ‘research’ throughout this month, I’d recommend Beavertown Lazer Crush

+1. A residual hint of sweetness I thought it could do without, but overall, pretty good.

Bristol Beer Factory Clear Head also good, and it supports a mental health group.

kelvin

Laser crush was too lemonade like for me, and I like their Nanobot 2.8 beer.

WildHunter2009

I tried the Lucky Saint lager a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised, would have again especially properly cold.

The Mikkeler Drinking in the Sun was pretty good as well I thought.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Quite like leffe blond 0.0 and the hazy IPA by Coast brewery in Edinburgh.

The Aldi standard 6 pack pilsner is not bad too. Usually have it with lemonade as a non cheeky wee shandy

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Mikkeller Limbo Series Raspberry 0.3%

Colour is a little paler than I’d expected but entirely in keeping with a raspberry beer, a soft pink and develops a reasonable head.
    Mouth feel is quite thin, very clearly low alcoholic, but very clean, not laced with sugar or in anyway feeling like it’s bulked with lactose or the like. Light effervescence.
    Taste is very good, I’m not normally a mikkeller fan but this is very drinkable. Fruit forward and discernably raspberry rather than raspberry flavour. Plenty of fruit sugar but with a good tang rather than just pure sweetness. The base net is obviously a bit lacking so it’s not got the sharpness of a proper lambic but it’s still well balanced and tastes “adult” enough not to just be fizzy pop. Crisp and refreshing.
    Would happily drink several in the sunshine in place of real beer. Might even put a few in the fridge for post “ride” beer come summer in place of a nice cold lager.

8/10

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.