Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Alcohol Free Beer – Any Recommendations?
  • MrGrim

Is there such a thing as a nice alcohol free beer/lager? I’ve tried a couple and so far Becks Blue is OK (just).

Any recommendations?

jockhaggis
    Free Member

They’re all pretty vile. Beck’s Blue is passable if you put a dash of lime in it.

What about a nice Gin and Tonic instead but without the Gin? Must have Lemon, Lime and Ice though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just have an orange juice, or something.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toby1

If you enjoy wheat beer I had a couple of these yesterday and there was no discernible difference to a ‘real’ beer Wheaty goodness

Kuco

Beck’s Blue is about the only decent one, found Bavaria to be vile. In the end I gave up with them and just drank fruit juice.

MrGrim

Jamie – I like the taste of beer, but I do a 1 in 4 week oncall shift so often at social stuff and it’s nice to have a beer (without alcohol)

Cheers Toby, will check that out next time I’m buying some. I do like weiss beer

theblackmount
    Free Member

No

Abstinence tastes better.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

ignore the “it’s pointless without alcohol” fools.

most lagers are nasty. becks blue is passable, but krombacher is the nicest lager i’ve found so far.

but, if you like a weiss, then erdinger, maissel’s and schneider are all fantastic and my personal favourite alcohol free boozes.
    bloody good for you too!

trout
    Free Member

Back in the days when alcohol free was young my brother said
    Kaliber alcohol free gave him uncontrollable hard ons the day after he had consumed 10 pints of the stuff 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

ignore the “it’s pointless without alcohol” fools.

khani
    Free Member

Been there, tried most of em…fizzy water, cold…..
    19p for two litres at tesco….

grahamh
    Free Member

Alcohol free beer = worst hangover ever.. 😐

xherbivorex
    Free Member

stick with german/bavarian ones; they’re subject to the same purity laws as regular beers are over there and i’ve never felt dodgy/rough after drinking a good few bottles in a night.

things have come a long way since the early kaliber days (which is one of those that i’d avoid like the plague).

PJM1974
    Free Member

Am in my tenth week of abstinence and right now I’d absolutely love nothing more than a post ride beer. I’ve tried Becks Blue, but it tastes strange, I get the hoppy taste from the front of my tongue and nothing at the back.

Wish I could just put it all out of my head and stick with apple juice, but I’ve spent my weekend hosting a party and there is an entire shed full of leftover alcohol that I’ve sworn never to touch. 🙁

SaxonRider

Beck’s Blue is drinkable, but not much else.

On the low alcohol front, I just tried Labatt’s 2.8. Ugh.

djglover
    Free Member

Bavaria Wit is the best available. Its a wheat / malt drink, rather than a brewed and then de-alcholed beer.

Its very good.

ETA – sorry for the big picture, but it makes the point. I abstained for a while whilst training, but I love beer and this is a superb post ride / run beer.

saxabar
    Free Member

As above, Bavaria wheat beer – cheaper than Coke from Tesco.

Grimy
    Free Member

I’ve tried them all, including the Bavaria wit above which is actually quite good. However, my recommendation would be Cobra’s alcohol free version. It’s the nearest to normal larger that I’ve had.

kimbers

have tried all the above

the only one I rate is this

brokensoul
    Free Member

+1 Cobra. I bought some by mistake, thinking it was the alcoholic stuff. Very tasty.

neninja
    Free Member

I love my beer and for that reason I’d rather drink an orange juice or J2O if I was driving or couldn’t drink.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

What about a nice Gin and Tonic instead but without the Gin? Must have Lemon, Lime and Ice though.

And Angostura Bitters*

*alcoholic I know, but you only use a few drops.

mikertroid
    Free Member

+1 for Bavaria Wit beer or their regular alcohol Free beer. Very refreshing.

kimbers

apparently erdinger have been marketing theirs as a recvery drink

CaptJon
    Free Member

+1 for the Erdinger.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 for lime in beck blue. squeeze quarter of a lime in the glass before you pour. very tasty

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Another +1 for Bavaria. And responsible for one of the funniest tv commercials I’ve seen in a long time here…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

alcohol free beer = gear free bicycles – why bother?
    every so often i go alcohol free for one reason or another and i gave up on trying to find anything drinkable that didn’t make me realise how much i wanted a pint or real foaming ale. so preferred no-alcohol choice is ginger beer and lime, tasty, refreshing and a bit of a kick to it

WTF
    Free Member

Most of the above taste poor in comparison to the originals,Erdinger excepted.
    I like Bernard free and Maisel Weisse which seem good alternatives imo.

organic355
    Free Member

This one keeps getting touted in Mens health, not tried it though, and its “beer flavoured” not beer. 😯

http://www.equatorbeer.com/

Jamie
    Free Member

mintimperial

The Erdinger and Maisel’s are good, and Schneider Weisse do a reasonably nice one too. Weissbier seems to be the only beer than will withstand not having alcohol in it, no idea why, but all the booze-free lager I’ve tried is properly minging.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I really wanted the thread titel to say ‘Alcohol: Free Beer!’

i love Erdinger! Was enjoying it this weekend. Is the alcohol-free version the same as the real stuff?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i love Erdinger! Was enjoying it this weekend. Is the alcohol-free version the same as the real stuff?

according to friends who’ve had both, not quite.
    it’s not that far off, but (for obvious reasons no doubt) doesn’t have the same bite to it.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

+1 Cobra. Not sure how, but apparently it’s made exactly the same way, then through some form of magic and witchcraft, the alcohol is extracted. There’s quite a few mail order places as well that will allow you to try a mixed delivery so you can see which ones are the best, and Waitrose stocks a couple of different brands. I gave up alcohol for a few months when I was giving up smoking (couldn’t do one without the other). I recall Erdinger and some of the Bavarian ones being good. Alch-free seems to come out wheatier – so wheaty beers are more likely to taste the same in their alch-free versions.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I like the Erdinger alcohol-free version, but it bugs me that they charge £1.50 a bottle for it. I tend to stock up on it when it’s down nearer £1 a bottle. Surely the duty on an alcohol-free beer is massively less than the full-fat stuff?

steveoath
    Free Member

Erdinger is nice, but a little ‘different’ to standard Erdinger.

Cobra is great.

Becks is the worst though, foul stuff (but then, so’s becks!!).

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

make a banana pancake i swear it tastes like rum . . .

Cougar

This one keeps getting touted in Mens health, not tried it though, and its “beer flavoured” not beer.

I’ve tried that. Wasn’t overly enamoured with it myself. ‘s “ok”

alpin
    Free Member

+1 for Erdinger and Schneiderweisse… yup, they are good for you being full of electrolytes and other healthy stuff. lots of sporty types drink it here in Germany.

and why is Bavarian beer called Bavaria when it’s not Bavarian?

oh, and Becks ist für Preißn…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Alcohol Free Beer – Any Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.