Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)
  • Alcohol free beer?
  • stevious

If you have a look on drydrinker.com they have loads of choice to suit your taste, as well as doing selection boxes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, but it’s eye wateringly expensive for what is actually juice!

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’m a big consumer of Bavaria Alc Free Lager and find them tolerably tasty when chilled. As a result of this thread I bought one of every low alc Bitter/Beer/Stout that looked to my taste on the Tesco shelves adjacent to the Bavarias.

Tried the first one tonight: St Peter’s Without Original. 0.0pc. (At room temperature.)

Verdict, it’s pretty nice. If I’d be served it as a Best Bitter in a pub I wouldn’t feel ripped off. I’ll be a regular consumer from now on.

Will report back if any of the others work out.

Full Disclosure: I’m not a connoisseur. I like bland beer. I cheerfully consume Boddingons Bitter from the can.

EDIT: FWIW I *really* don’t like Adnams Ghost ship. Tastes like cider. Horrible. (Which is a shame, I usually like Adnams Beers…)

jeffl

Local B&M were selling flat tyre for 60 pence a can. Need to grab a few at that price.

pocpoc
    Free Member

That St Peters Without is vile stuff. It’s the only beer I’ve ever poured down the sink after a couple of mouthfuls.

Lidl Patronus was surprisingly nice and only something like 89p a bottle.
    Other than that the Erdinger is probably my go to choice. All the lagers are OK but nothing special. The Nanny State just tastes too hoppy and seems a bit fake.

outofbreath
    Free Member

That St Peters Without is vile stuff.

I liked it, if everything else is nicer than that I’m gonna be a happy man!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Erdinger Weiss bier or Franziskaner Weiss if you prefer a little less sweet

One or both of those are usually £3 for 3 from Sainsburys home delivery.  Lidl Patronus is OK as well at under a pound.

They’re my go to drink now when i want something refreshing and not full of sugar.

bigyinn
    Free Member

St Peters Without” doubt the most awful thing I have ever tasted! Absolutely vile 🙁

You’ve not tried their Plum Porter then.

Worst.

Beer.

Ever.

Mugboo

I struggle to do 3 nights off so following this thread I road tested a few on Wednesday from Tesco’s.

Flat Tyre tasted pretty much like a cold lager so I guess thats ok if thats your sort of thing.

Last Drop Pale was bad enough for me to pour away.

Infinite Session Pale was pretty impressive, tasted close enough to a session craft beer.

Long Drop Stout was genuinely impressive.

So thats Tues, Wed Thur this week 🙂

weeksy

Just bought brewdog nanny state to give a try. Will report later/tomorrow

weeksy

God that’s horrific! !!! !! !!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just tried that st peters without, ooft, howling!…

flaps
    Free Member

Quite a few I’ve never tried mentioned on here, I’ll need to check them out, cheers.

My go to ones are Heineken, Erdinger or if there’s nothing else then Bud. Really didn’t like Becks or Brew Dog. All make me feel really bloated after a few though.

trademark
    Free Member

Bavaria is a good 0% lager, Asda sells it cheap in cans and bottles but tastes better than brand names imo.

DrJ

I read a few recommendations for Nanny State but I thought it was horrible.  I can believe that Mikellers do a good a good one but I’m willing to bet I can’t afford it 🙂

outofbreath
    Free Member

Just tried a big drop pale ale. Very tasty. Gotta be honest, the Bavaria Lager seems to do much the same thing for less calories, less alcohol and less cash. (…and less flavour.)

I’m gonna buy a good selection of all these and go alc free this Xmas. Really grateful for this thread, opened my eyes to a lot of opportunities.

Also grateful that I seem to be fairly easily pleased in the beer stakes, which is a bit of a blessing. 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

My favourite is still the Bavaria. The flat tyre is pretty good too though. I really like stout but I thought that the big drop stout tasted like slightly flat coke with an odd aftertaste 🙁

outofbreath
    Free Member

My favourite is still the Bavaria.

I love the Bavarias in summer, ice cold. Like those little French bottled lagers but you can drink them at a time and situation that would normally be totally inappropriate.

colournoise

Erdinger Blue or Nanny State.

Interested to try some of the suggestions on the thread too though.

(old enough to remember Kaliber, so really any modern low/non alcohol beer is bound to taste decent by comparison…)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cobra AF reminded me of kaliber,  truly boak inducing.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Anyone tried warsteiner? Mate from Marstons recommended it and I found it a pretty good compromise. Bit more flavour to it than bavaria, pretty drinkable.

weeksy

Yeah, not too bad that one.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Mini-PSA – the Lidl Patronus stuff was reduced to 69p a bottle in Lidl last night (that was at the one in east Coventry neat the A46, assume it’s the same everywhere)

richmtb

“Without” doubt the most awful thing I have ever tasted! Absolutely vile 🙁

Its the single worst “beer” I’ve ever had. Poured 90% of it down the sink, I’ve got two unopened bottle in the house from when I was trying different non-alcoholic beers in the summer.

Franziskaner Alcoholfrei is excellent, its much better then Erdinger which has a kind of yeasty, chemically tang to it. Schneider Weisse is even better if you can find it.

I do like Nanny State too, nice and cold and they just taste like a weak session IPA

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Are you all alocholics or something? Why the **** would you drink alcohol free beer.

It’s like vaping.

scaredypants

agreed on the “without” – nasty
    AFB is more like anti-vaping, I’d say, rbw. Vaping equivalent would be more like drinking pure alcohol to avoid all that “other” stuff in there.
    I drink AF because I prefer it (or tonic) to other soft drinks, don’t want to just drink water and because I like to be able to drive if I need to

I quite like
    Mikkeller drink’in the sun (very “hoppy”)
    Fat Tire
    Adnams Ghost Ship, as slated up ^ there (better than their sole star IMO)

Didn’t like ST Peter without, Palm Green, Beck’s blue (not bad, just v bland)

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Bought some Beck’s Blue this week. Not my preferred NA drink but all there was in the Sainsbury’s Local. I put it through the scanner and apparently it needs approval from staff as it has 0.05% alcohol in it. Jobsworth fella took great pride in telling me. I think he was hoping I’d buy 500 cans to see if I could get tipsy. I’d die of hyponatremia first I think. Anyway, as recommended above, it’s much better with a squeeze of lime in the glass first – oh and a vodka.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I had a few bottles of Erdinger after riding the Golfy on a hot summers evening and it hit the spot. Furstenberg is okay if you can get a hold of it.

Are you all alocholics or something? Why the **** would you drink alcohol free beer.

It’s like vaping.

Agree, but disagree

I’m an alchy, no doubt, but can do a month off – and do every year. Sod alcohol free beer, what’s the point? It all tastes like shit, without the good side of it. I can’t actually believe that I’ve read further back about people getting ‘mini hangovers’ from it ffs. Hold on, I’ll not get pissed, but still feel like shit the next day????

Vaping though – you still get the addictive bit, nicotine, so a bit different. I feel a damn sight better vaping than smoking fags

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What’s the point?

Well, I enjoy the taste of beer, but not the effects of alcohol. Surely even the hard of understanding can process such a simple rationale?.

Mugboo

While I’m not the park bench kind of alky I definitely drink more than I want to. AF beer is part of the picture in cutting down for me.

scotroutes

What’s the point?

Well, I enjoy the taste of beer, but not the effects of alcohol. Surely even the hard of understanding can process such a simple rationale?.

That. I guess there are some folk for whom getting alcohol down their neck is more important than the taste though.

As for the “hangover” thing from AF/LA beer, it’s a genuine effect for some folk. There is an enzyme produced during the malting process of barley that stays in the final product. Some folk react to that. For a few years it would cause me to develop a migraine. Some beers are worse than others. Wheat beers are the least affected.

69er_Gav
    Free Member

The St Peter’s alcohol free ale is the most horrific beer related product i’ve ever tasted……absolutely howfin!

Krombacher and Paulaner do some decent wheat and pilsner styles.

Dry Drinker do a great selection including some worthwhile mixed cases.

outofbreath
    Free Member

What’s the point?

I’m also amazed people need to ask. If Pork Pies normally came laced with heroin then I’d be keen to try “Heroin Free Pork Pies”. In the same way if I can have beer without falling over and making a **** of myself without too much of a sacrifice in taste I’m gonna jump at it.

A lot less calories as well.

On another note I am seriously proud that I seem to be alone in not only being able to stomach St Peter’s without, but also quite enjoy it. Go me!

scotroutes

I am seriously proud that I seem to be alone in not only being able to stomach St Peter’s without, but also quite enjoy it.

I recommended it earlier in the thread. I reckon it has too much taste for the effete lager/hopster types.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I recommended it earlier in the thread. I reckon it has too much taste for the effete lager/hopster types.

Like it, let’s go with the working hypothesis that ‘we’ have more sophisticated taste than ‘them’.

scotroutes

Absolutely!

tails
    Free Member

Not sure if they’ve been mentioned but Adnams now make Ghost Ship in 0.5% which is very good, they also make 2 other beers at 0.9 and 3.4 so reasonably low alcohol.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Woah there folks,I never claimed to have sophisticated tastes!😊

trademark
    Free Member

I’m just back from Fuerteventura and found Falke lager in the supermarket.
    0% and very cheap, yet tasty in a Bavaria kind of way.
    Don’t know if it can be obtained in the UK but it was very refreshing in the 29 degree heat.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Alcohol free beer?’ is closed to new replies.