Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • Alcohol Free Beer
  • weeksy

I bought 6 bottles of the Czech stuff from Sains today. We’ll try it later.

ransos
    Free Member

Nanny State is ok-ish. If you want to reduce rather than cut out alcohol, I can recommend Wiper & True Small Beer. Tastes like a properly hoppy, craft ale, and only 2.5%.

Marge
    Free Member

another vote for the weizenbier from a many year teetotaler but after so long perhaps I’m less fussy.
    I do share my stash with ‘regular’ beer bike mates post ride and they also suggest it’s a good drink.
    Becks blue is quite rank to my tastebuds 😮
    San Miguel 0.0% is a good lager / pils (think it’s in Waitrose)

If you want to step across to wine its even harder to find. The red & white Eisberg is quite OK. Even my gf (proper drinker) 😯 says it’s ok

deadkenny
    Free Member

xherbivorex – Member 
    it’s the usual suspects really. even bringing up the “you eat fake meat because you really want to eat actual meat” BS!

Usual suspect am I? ah well 😀

It’s a humorous opinion is all, adding in an analogy as to why I agree with the OP that I don’t see the point either. Is the OP’s opening “I don’t see the point for me personally” any more or less judgemental? 😉

I stand by my opinion, but no need to be offended. I don’t like alcohol free beer taste personally anyway and, like with the meat/veg analogy, the non alcoholic by nature alternatives are nicer to me.

Talking of which, blackcurrent hi-juice for wine for me. It’s fruit juice, concentrated & sugary. Stick it in a wine glass and it’s slightly like having red wine, but isn’t. 😀

weeksy

I opened the Sainsbury’s Czech, it’s nice! Perfectly acceptable to drink!

nealglover
    Free Member

Binners, what’s the ideal amount of that G&T stuff to make a passable large G&T.
    I’ve tried it and can’t seem to get it right!

kayak23

just bought some Cobra Zero to try.

Really minging…
    Only lasted a few sips.
    Tastes very chemical-like.
    😥
    Have to try something else.

weeksy

The Sainsbury Czech really ain’t bad.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

@kayak23, cobra zero is very possibly the worst tasting of them all. it is pure evil. i’m pretty certain it contains, or is entirely made up of satan’s urine.

chip
    Free Member

the cobra is disgusting, I normally drink becks blue but today bought some Heineken 0.0. not as nice as the becks but passable.

kayak23

Damn. The Becks was next to the Cobra… I went Cobra 😐

NJA

Amazed that nobody has mentioned San Miguel it is the best of the alcohol free lagers that I have tried.

the-muffin-man

Another thumbs up for Sainsburys Czech and Nanny State – these are my Sunday night drinks.

Amazed that nobody has mentioned San Miguel it is the best of the alcohol free lagers that I have tried.

I’ve never seen it on the shelves!

pocpoc
    Free Member

Am I the only one that can’t stand Becks Blue? It tastes like a load of chemical nonsense and nothing like beer.
    I took a 4 pack to a party once where I was driving. Ended up giving the other three away to people I don’t really like!
    The only other one I’ve tried is Nanny State – that was so much better. I could drink a few of them.
    Think I’ll have to nip in to Sainsburys tonight though and see if it’s as good as you lot are saying.

nevisthecat
    Free Member

Erdinger alcohol free – there’s a reason they hand it out at the end of a marathon – they market it as “isotonic”.

6.5mg of sale per bottle.

Daily intake is 6mg.

I can just taste salt when I drink it. Seems to be common for alcohol free beers to be loaded with salt.

WildHunter2009

Had a bottle of the isotonic erdinger last night. Not convinced at all to be honest, just tasted a bit off. I think I have a paulaner in the fridge to try next and will seek out this Sainsbury’s Bavaria. So far Nanny state for the win, although I wish it came in bigger bottles!

Jakester
    Free Member

NJA – Member
    Amazed that nobody has mentioned San Miguel it is the best of the alcohol free lagers that I have tried

Each to their own, but I just found it too ‘sweet’ tasting.

aroyalnit
    Free Member

The best lager we found was ‘Jever Fun’. Still nothing like a proper beer, but the first couple of sips could have you fooled

ahwiles
    Free Member

Just opened a bottle of Sainsbury’s ‘Czech Low Alcohol Pilsner’

it’s really very nice – good for that ‘need something cold, crisp and fizzy’ thirst that hits a fellow at the end of a long day bike fettling…

fossy

Brew Dog Nanny State is quite nice if you’ve got to have Alcohol Free. We were in Prezzo a few weeks back and I was driving so opted for one.

kayak23

Tried this one from Tesco last night.

Bleurrgghhh! Do they all taste of industrial chemicals?. 😐

I was quite upset so had to have a couple of normal Estrellas to console myself.

Got some Becks blue on chill now as a last ditch attempt.

timmys

Nanny State by a country mile.

Cobra is the worst I’ve tried – unbelievably grim.

Becks Blue somewhere in between.

kayak23

Tried the Nanny State last night.

I’ve never been an ale fan. It just tastes so strong, like when you forget you bought double concentrated Orange cordial, but I guess I could get used to it. It’s passable.

I also tried the Becks Blue.

This is the clear leader for me at the moment, though I wish they did it bigger than the Funsize kids bottles. 660ml would be good.

Anyway, I had four last night to get used to it, and I was totally pissed-free.
    🙂

theotherjonv

6.5mg of sale per bottle.

Daily intake is 6mg.

I can just taste salt when I drink it. Seems to be common for alcohol free beers to be loaded with salt.

Erm….. just back to this thread as want to get a few to try at Saino’s today, but your units are wrong.

There are 6.5mg of salt in 500ml of the Erdinger, but the RDA for an adult is 6g, ie 6000mg. If you can do 460ltrs of Erdinger per day, i suspect it won’t be the salt that gets you.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Someone reccomemded the st Peter’s up there somewhere, they were wrong. Very very wrong.

(Assuming they only do the without gold)

chvck
    Free Member

Someone reccomemded the st Peter’s up there somewhere, they were wrong. Very very wrong.

That stuff is nasty even with alcohol. I’ve tried a few of these over the last couple of weeks. My favourites are the nanny state for brewdog type beer and bavaria for a lager type. The hunt is still on for a not super hoppy IPA style.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I got my hopes up that it might be the illusive non alcoholic ale. It tasted like one of those malt beverages you get abroad.

On the upside though it encouraged me to finish my work double quick so i could allow myself to drink an actual beer instead.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I havent drunk Alcohol for over 21 years now, and never did the alchohol free stuff.
    Mainly drink sparkling water or similar, but theres only so much Lemonade and lime you can drink on a night out, and i end up with a massive headache afterwards.
    I was at a Family do this weekend and saw Becks blue for the first time.
    Had a couple of bottles and it was pretty good really for someone whos palate hasnt been used to beers for quite some time.

Looks like there has been some real progress made and I`ll be trying out some of the other recomendations too 😉

GRAEMEJONES

Just tried one of these despite the comment up there^^^, quite nice , no “off” taste.
    Same price as the Erdinger one. I find it preferable to the Nanny State, but, each to their own!
    YMMV 😛

GRAEMEJONES

Double post, sorry!

Northwind

I got my dad some of the St Peters’, he liked it. I thought it was alright, better than their gluten free anyway.

Innes and None is a) rancid but b) not any more rancid than the normal innes and gunns I’ve tried so still a win.

theotherjonv

I found the St Peters too malty.

As a very cold lager, Heineken 0% is not bad.

rickonwheels
    Free Member

Was just googling Erdinger non-alcoholic beer and found this old thread and read through it, so… bump.

I don’t really drink these days for various reasons and always happy when I spot Beck’s Blue in a pub fridge. Also drink Heineken 0.0 at home of a sunny day – makes Becks blue taste quite sour in comparison. Both have to be proper cold.

Had an Erdinger Alcohol Free in a pub the other day, liked that it was a large bottle so I could sneak it into a pint glass at the bar and avoid that boring conversation where someone tells me I shouldn’t drink beer if it doesn’t have alcohol in it and that I should be drinking water or coke instead….

chvck
    Free Member

Anyone tried the pistonhead flat tire alcohol free? Their beers with alcohol in are great so I’m thinking that it could be good…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had the erdinger on the bank hols, nice to have a couple of beers and drive home.

The 2.5,% end of things is tough to get flavour without the good beer ingredients going to alcohol some mates do them and they cost a bomb to do right

stevious

I really like Flat Tyre, to the point where I like it more than some real beers.

The worst I’ve had is budweiser prohibition. Tasted like it had ethylene glycol in it. Yuk

Garry_Lager

Don’t mind the Bud black, but it’s quite tasteless (surprise surprise). Good if you’re thirsting for a beer (like a hot day), but sort of pointless to drink otherwise.

Went completely off the ale for 6 weeks just gone for an event and tried a lot of the stuff mentioned – it’s good stuff, definitely helpful if you’re trying to cut down.

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>Was reading through all that and was going to recommend Flat tyre, very nice but don’t let it warm up or it starts to smell rank (I thought the dog next to me was letting one slip it was that bad). That only happens if you let it sit too long though.</p><p>Also a fan of Nanny State, just tastes like a slightly watery IPA which i can live with.</p><p>Franziskamer was pretty good too, tasted like the proper stuff. Dunno where chemicals come from, German purity laws and all that.</p><p>St Peters is the second worst I have tried, Erdinger was the worst. NOT a fan of Ovaltine flavoured beer. Never bothered with any of the big brewery stuff and normal Innis and Gunn does nothing for me.</p><p>For low alcohol the old Adnams Sole Star was fantastic at 2.5% but it’s now 0.9% and I’ve not tried it since it changed.</p>

doordonot
    Free Member

Just cracked open a bottle of Erdinger after a lazy sunset ride. It’s nice and refreshing and I like that it tastes of malty beer. However I found Nanny state was an unpalatable shock to the system. Glad this thread was resurrected to kick off a summer of beer tasting.

Stainypants

Dont realy drink any more but i find that i blow through soft drinks or tonic water far too quickly.  An alcohol free beer you drinkit at the same pace as your mates that are drinking.

I addition to those mentioned i tried Bud prohibition larger camping last week and prefered it Becks Blue but i dont like normal becks.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Alcohol Free Beer’ is closed to new replies.