Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Albums you’ve bought on the back of one track, that turned out to be rubbish
  • DezB
    Free Member

Off the top of my head there’s, jumbo, push ….

CUPS CUPS ffs. where the album gets it’s title from

Who else from the Britpop era then… Sleeper. Surely they had more than one song… seeing as they’re touring again 😆  gawd they were crap back then.. who would still want to pay to see her bosoms, really??

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Remember that famous night that Nivana played on The Word?? due to my lack of ability to talent spot, I was ravin’ about the other band who appeared that night, bought their album based on that performance, it was crap, they were never to be heard of again.

edlong
    Free Member

Mr Nana, you really need to name (and shame)…

DezB
    Free Member

Was it L7 ?

daern
    Free Member

Lost and Found by Mudvayne on the back of “Happy”. It’s a great song, perhaps a little heavier than I normally enjoy, but good enough that I thought I might enjoy the album.

Turns out that Happy is the token ballad…

IHN

Sleeper. Surely they had more than one song… seeing as they’re touring again   gawd they were crap back then.. who would still want to pay to see her bosoms, really??

Yeah, but, oh my word those were the days…

*sigh*

B.A.Nana
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

Nice one Nana. The baggy bandwagon in full effect. 😀

IHN has his Sleeper ticket then?

IHN

IHN has his Sleeper ticket then?

Yep. Except the gig was in 1997 at Sheffield Uni students’ union.

*stares wistfully into the distance…*

DezB
    Free Member

The memories of the mammories… best way 😀

funkmasterp

I went through a phase in my teens of buying albums based solely on the covers. That threw up some truly dire albums. Got to agree with Foo Fighters after The Colour and the Shape it all went a bit shit. Primal Scream Xtrmntr had one decent track and the rest was noise.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Two Princes By Spin Doctors led me to departing with £9.99 for an utterly naff album that still grates on me 25yrs later.

Oh, and The Family Stand, Ghetto Heaven, led me to the same result as above.

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>Was it L7 ?</p>

<p>Can’t be, they have plenty of decent tunes on their albums.</p>

<p>One that’s really stood the test of time is Catatonia’s International Velvet.</p><p>Not a duff track on it.</p>

<p>Not a lot of people would be brave enough to do what you just did. Doesn’t make you a good person though.</p>

RustySpanner

I’m lovely.

And crucially, not a snob.

jamj1974

Primal Scream Xtrmntr had one decent track and the rest was noise

I know we all have different taste but not at all.  Great album.  Certainly up there with Vanishing Point & Screamadelica!

theotherjonv

I went through a phase in my teens of buying albums based solely on the covers.

I can think of a couple of reasons why you should have a copy of Pixies Surfer Rosa

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>I’m lovely.</p><p>And crucially, not a snob.</p>

<p>Clearly missing a sense of humour though.</p>

funkmasterp

I know we all have different taste but not at all.  Great album.  Certainly up there with Vanishing Point & Screamadelica!

Don’t like vanishing point either.

*runs and hides from jamj

CountZero

One that’s really stood the test of time is Catatonia’s International Velvet.

It’s… OK. Not a patch on Way Beyond Blue, their first album. Possibly better than Paper, Scissors, Stone, though.

I’d rather like to see Sleeper again, saw them two or three times back in the 90’s, and rather enjoyed them. But then, I enjoyed Republica, Elastica and Drugstore back then, as well.

RustySpanner

Clearly missing a sense of humour though.

Nope just a smiley. 🙂

It’s only music….

No smileys on the laptop, fine on the phone.

It’s… OK. Not a patch on Way Beyond Blue, their first album.

Hmm, tough one…….but IV just shades it….

metalheart
    Free Member

Talking of Pixies, Doolittle.

other than Hey, it left me completely cold.

and I was a big fan at the time, even travelled to see them at Manchester int2 couple months earlier and was fired up for it.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I really like Doolittle. Monkey gone to heaven is a lowlight of the album for me.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s got Debaser on it. How can it be a one song album for anyone who was into the Pixies??

daern
    Free Member

I appreciate that music is a very subjective thing and that we all like different things, and I would never think to tell anyone else what they should like or dislike…but damn it, you are so wrong here!

Doolittle is truly one of the great indie records of all time and still in rotation in my car, 30 years after its release.

Next you’ll be saying that Babylon 5 is a  big pile of shit

mossimus
    Free Member

Violent Femmes, Add It Up (for Blister in the Sun)

Add it up was a compilation album,  Both blister in the sun snd add it up are on their eponymously titled album which is brilliant.

Plus 2 for Doolitle, cracking album that still gets played today.

theotherjonv

Eh? Leave the thread before you embarrass yourself again.

I’m struggling to think of a track that isn’t great.

binners

Surely dissing Pixies albums amounts to sacrilege? Are you mad? They’re the work of genius!

And I’m sorry funky but I’m going to have to pick you up on XTRMNTR.. it’s bloody brilliant! Unlike a lot of the subsequent garbage Primal Scream churned out.

I saw them end that tour with Mani’s glorious homecoming gig at the Ritz in Manchester. My ears are still ringing. Without doubt the loudest gig I’ve ever been too. They basically had a stadium sized set up in what is essentially a night club. It was bloody brilliant!

Anyway, if you don’t like Primal Scream, I’ll leave you with possibly the best album review ever written

😂

lister

Completely forgot every album by The Beatles*…utter nonsense the lot of them.

*only joking, I’ve never wasted any of my money on their tripe.😁

nicko74

Surely dissing Pixies albums amounts to sacrilege? Are you mad? They’re the work of genius!

And I’m sorry funky but I’m going to have to pick you up on XTRMNTR.. it’s bloody brilliant! Unlike a lot of the subsequent garbage Primal Scream churned out.

Have to agree on both fronts. In fact I saw them both play at Primavera Sound in Barcelona one year – Pixies on their comeback tour and Primal Scream supporting XTRMNTR. Both amazing, although Pixies don’t really do much chat around their songs…

RustySpanner

Completely forgot every album by The Beatles*…utter nonsense the lot of them.

*only joking, I’ve never wasted any of my money on their tripe.😁

Try Abbey Road. Mostly rubbish but worth it for Maxwell’s Silver Hammer….genius.

slowoldman

Try Abbey Road. Mostly rubbish

Wash your mouth out. The side 2 medley is sublime.

RustySpanner

😉

metalheart
    Free Member

It’s got Debaser on it. How can it be a one song album for anyone who was into the Pixies??

Oh oh I loved Surfer Rosa/C’mon Pilgrim, I saw them when they were promoting the Gigantic single and they were amazing. I remember them playing Hey, but when the album came out, meh. I honestly don’t know if I even still have it anymore…

Similarly, I loved Bleach, just never got on with Nevermind (despite hassling the record shop for six months in the run up to its release…. 🤣 ).

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I’ve bought quite a few albums with one good track on;

V.V. Brown- Samson & Delilah, based on the strength of The Apple

Gotye- Somebody I Used To Know, which was a good song, but the album was utter guff.

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Albums you’ve bought on the back of one track, that turned out to be rubbish’ is closed to new replies.