Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Albums you’ve bought on the back of one track, that turned out to be rubbish
  • sadexpunk

Republica’s eponymous debut album.  On the back of Ready to Go I was expecting some sort of crunchy rock album and not a bunch of mediocre mid-90s dance choonz.

may i refer you to…..

DezB
    Free Member

Underworld, Beaucoup Fish 

Don’t be silly.

Beck! Some great albums under his belt.. but apart from ‘Loser’ … Mellow Gold, couldnt name another track.

CountZero

I’ve been buying singles for years, especially 12” singles in the 80’s, because 7” vinyl is crap, then CD singles, which often had extra non-album tracks on them. Struggling to remember any particular album which had one standout track with the rest filler, I’ve tended to take them back and swap them if I don’t like the album. The last one was The Breeders latest album, I’d heard one particular track on 6Music I rather liked, bought the album, but it just didn’t gel, for some reason.

QOTSA ‘Songs For The Deaf’, has several decent tracks on it, but ‘No One Knows’ is the stand out, I don’t play the album often.

Going back a bit …Gerry Rafferty ” City to City ” ..Baker Street was good ..the rest total tosh .

That is total tosh. “Whatever’s Written In Your Heart” is easily as good as “Baker Street”, “Right Down The Line” and “Mattie’s Rag” close behind.

professor_fate
    Free Member

REM – Monster

Liked “What’s the frequency Kenneth”, but the rest…good god!  :0(

At least the CD was cheap.

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>Spin Doctors whatever it was thing</p>

<p>Jimmy Olsens Blues. Actually they had a decent amount of stuff on that album and the next one, I really should dig them out agin now you’ve reminded me. Kinda Dave Matthews Band-esque.</p>

<p>Green Day, Nimrod (for Time of Your Life)</p>

<p>To be fair if you bought that album for that song you were always going to be disappointed.</p>

hodgynd
    Free Member

@Countzero..it’s all about opinion and you are welcome to yours ..I’m glad to say that I didn’t actually buy that album it was sent out as a freebie from the record company ( A&M records ..I think ? )

andypaul99
    Free Member

Guns n Roses – Chinese Democracy (Chinese Democracy)

Crazy Town – Gift of game ( Butterfly)

Oasis – Standing on the shoulder of giants (go let it out)

ransos
    Free Member

REM – Monster

Liked “What’s the frequency Kenneth”, but the rest…good god!  :0(

That was a hugely underrated album. I took your name, and Bang and Blame were two of my favourites.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Men at work – album with down under on it.

Sly fox – album with Let’s go all the way on it. Absolute junk.

Quite liked good, bad and the Queen album.

Northside – chicken rhythms. Awful. Shall we take a trip was fun. (I was a teenager)

Queen – Sheer heart attack

Stevie wonder – music in the key of life. Superstition is his best ever track, but I hate the album.

The empyrium – john frusciante.

vickypea
    Free Member

I agree with tjagain on Cornershop- I also bought it for Brimful of Asha.

I do like Green Day’s nimrod though.

donks
    Free Member

I have to disagree with above re corner shop. Good to be on the road and their cover of Norwegian wood are decent….imo

martinhutch

Stevie wonder – music in the key of life. Superstition is his best ever track, but I hate the album.

And to add insult to injury, Superstition isn’t even on the album!

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Someone’s awake! Well spotted.

Stevie wonder – talking book. See above.

Edit: it’s been a long day.

lister

The Magic Numbers

The Twang

I was a big fan in the 90s but a lot of britpop albums make me wonder what I and they were thinking!

I’m sure there are plenty of others but I can’t be arsed to go and look.

I like all of A Grand Don’t Come for Free. Makes me chuckle and I like the story.

DezB
    Free Member

Just had another look at the tracklisting of Beaucoup Fish. Amazing album. Bruce Lee not even the best thing on it. hmph. Opinions eh 😀

Someone’s gonna tell me “Loser” isn’t the best track on Mellow Gold aren’t they… 😆

superstu
    Free Member

BMRC eponymous album was/is brilliant, still play it regularly.

Hope of the states ‘the lost riots’ is one – bought for the red the white the black the blue…rest was poor.

Agree about Foo Fighters, downhill massively after their first album, one great song on each album and you think they’ve cracked it until you have to endure 10 bang average (at best) tracks of boredom.

Waderider
    Free Member

I bought Led Zep IV on the basis of Misty Mountain Hop.

How disappointed was I with the rest of the album. Must try harder B-.

charlielightamatch
    Free Member

Green Day, Nimrod (for Time of Your Life)

And yet another person hears a bands single ballad they do and think all their songs are the same.  To me it’s the only crap song on the album. Take Back is brilliant.

Same goes for people who like No Doubt’s Don’t speak (nothing like the rest of the album, can’t srand that track), Extreme “More than Words” ditto, probably a lot more too.

pondo

Gentlemen on T’Afghan Whigs album of the same name turned out to be the one shining star on album of turds.

jamj1974

Totally agree about The Las, IHN.

jamj1974

The Kasabian debut album.  Complete shite and it turns out LSF was only worth about two listens.

RustySpanner

I have to disagree with above re corner shop. Good to be on the road and their cover of Norwegian wood are decent….imo

One of my favourite albums, tbh.

This is wonderful, brilliant party tune……

sbob
    Free Member

Soul II Soul – Club Classics Volume I

That album includes the a cappella  version of Back to Life, not only a great track but at 2:42 features the greatest drop of any song ever recorded.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Root n fifth…not only is “Superstition” not on the Stevie Wonder album mentioned above ( its on Talking Book)..he never made an album called ” Music In The Key Of Life ”

Try ” Songs In The Key Of Life” ..which apart from the played to death ” Isn’t She Lovely ” ( which I grew to hate ) ..is an excellent album .

I personally think that Sheer Heart Attack is one of Queen’s better albums ..they were still performing as a credible rock band before ( in my eyes ) turning into a comedy drag act ..

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Okay, okay I know. Talking book. I’d just got in from work, saw the thread and put some ideas down. I knew the album I was thinking of, just didn’t double check before hitting submit. You know when you wish you hadn’t bothered?

However, Talking book – still don’t like it.

Might give Sheer Heart attack another go though. Always reminds me of your climbing out of a Surrey village.

senorj

I bought a Tanita Tikaram album when i was younger and dafter, on the strength of her first couple of singles. Not a fan.

Several contributors have named some of my fave records – Dez , Coyote & rootnfifth – looking at you.

🙂

& Dez How can you not love this?

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Loved the Beck album!

DezB
    Free Member

& Dez How can you not love this?

S’alright I spose. Wouldn’t pull the album out of the rack to listen to it though.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

What was I thinking when I bought EMF’s Schubert Dip, on the basis of Unbelievable, many years ago? 😮

DezB
    Free Member

On a similar note –  Babylon Zoo ‎– The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes 😆

(No, but I did buy the 12″ !)

IHN

Just, you know, for the record, Talking Book is an unadulterated work of genius.

retro83
    Free Member

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Kanye West – sorry, erm, I mean Ye…..whatever the album is called with All Falls Down on it.

</span>

Meh, it’s a hip pop record, and don’t get me wrong Kanye is a chunt of epic proportions but I really it.

All Falls Down, Spaceship, Jesus Walks, Never Let Me Down, Get ’em High, Slow Jamz, Breathe In Breathe Out & Through The Wire were all fairly big songs in their own right.

Production is really good on that album as well. Much better than any of the dross he released later.

Nico
    Free Member

Well of course it will, because all new music is rubbish

Not just music. Modern Life is Rubbish. Though it wasn’t, as it happened.

edlong
    Free Member

I’m surprised at a couple of mentions for “Grand Don’t Come for Free” – I think it’s a cracking album. Shame the Peruvian marching powder got hold of him shortly after and it all went to shit, but it was great while it lasted..

On the other hand, I’m another Beck fan who doesn’t often listen to Mellow Gold in its entirety, although I do like Loser (and Motherf*****).

I think the Spin Doctors album mentioned was probably Pocket Full of Kryptonite, that’s the one with “Two Princes” on it, which was their big hit. It’s not great imho.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Just had another look at the tracklisting of Beaucoup Fish. Amazing album. Bruce Lee not even the best thing on it. hmph. Opinions eh

When that album was mentioned I thought the same, whaaaat!!

Off the top of my head there’s, jumbo, push upstairs, and king of snake which are all brilliant. I can’t imagine somebody that likes underworld buying that album and only liking one song from it. Same with Greenday Nimrod, I don’t think it’s their best album but there are at least 5 good ones on it.

Funnily enough I dug out the Republica album while looking through my cd’s recently and apart from Ready to go and Drop dead gorgeous there’s nothing else on there that makes me want to listen to it.

binners

Cornershop – I bought it for “brim full of Asha” only to find the album track is not the single even – the single was a norman cook remix and totally different to the album track and the rest of the album

Theres normally a very good reason that the ‘remix’ of a track is the one that gets released as a single

I’m surprised at a couple of mentions for “Grand Don’t Come for Free” – I think it’s a cracking album.

Indeed. The whole point of that (excellent) album is that it is ‘an album’ in that it has a narrative/story than runs through it.

Most albums in the Britpop era consisted of one decent single then it was all filler, no killer

hols2
    Free Member

nicko74

Just had another look at the tracklisting of Beaucoup Fish. Amazing album. Bruce Lee not even the best thing on it. hmph. Opinions eh

lol. Fair enough, it’s not a rubbish album, I just don’t love it as much as I thought I would. 🙂

Another couple from me:

Hot Chip, Made in the Dark, for Over and Over.

Nearly bought The View’s album off the back of one of the best indie singles I’ve ever heard, Superstar Tradesman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idz_8QxUJtw, but the subsequent singles were utter tosh.

And I would have bought Courtney Barnett’s album for History Eraser, but everything else I’ve heard of hers on the radio has been a bit tedious.

Oasis – Standing on the shoulder of giants (go let it out)

I properly laughed at this 😀

RustySpanner

Most albums in the Britpop era consisted of one decent single then it was all filler, no killer

True Binners, very true.

One that’s really stood the test of time is Catatonia’s International Velvet.

Not a duff track on it.

theotherjonv

I’m surprised at a couple of mentions for “Grand Don’t Come for Free” – I think it’s a cracking album.

Indeed. The whole point of that (excellent) album is that it is ‘an album’ in that it has a narrative/story than runs through it.

I think the point that a few have made is that there will have been many that bought it on the back of Dry Your Eyes, and the rest of it isn’t exactly in the same vein. And will have been disappointed. But not us because we are way above being those sorts.

The chord structure / change to the orchestral chords after the break in the final track is simply beautiful. Once you get past the relentless swearing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Albums you’ve bought on the back of one track, that turned out to be rubbish’ is closed to new replies.