Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Albums of 2014 you may have missed
  • dannybgoode

Was in Manchester the other day and had half an hour for lunch and a quick look in Fopp and came out with 3 albums from 2014 that would have passed me by otherwise.

Joan as Police Woman – The Classic. Never heard of them before but a smashing album. Starts off with a distinct 60’s Motown sound to it and then moves toward a more modern offering with just a hint of gospel to it. Vocals are strong and the lyrics excellent – highly recommend

Next up was Rival Sons – Great Western Valkyrie. Beautiful produced and played heavy Southern Rock. Track 1 is strong and the album grows from there. Heavy guitar rifts and just the right amoutn of distortion added to the instruments and vocals to give it an edge.

Finally The War on Drugs – Lost in the Dream. Superb smoldering US indie rock. A rareity of an album these days in that it is one that really needs to be played from start to finish in order as it is a musical journey so often missing from the iPod generations’ music. Downtempo and on the mellow vocals make for a pleasing listen.

Anyone else got any recommendations? Any genre but stuff that didn’t make the mainstream.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Jamie T’s new album. Got very little air play

rj
    Free Member

The Hum by Hookworms
    Seeds by TV On The Radio
    Plowing into the Field of Love by Iceage
    The Best Day by Thurston Moore
    Nobody Wants to be Here and Nobody Wants to Leave by The Twilight Sad
    Liminal by The Acid
    Amphetamine Ballads by The Amazing Snakeheads
    Mess by Liars
    Present Tense by Wild Beasts
    Morning Phase by Beck (Don’t listen to Kanye!)

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ll see yer war on drugs and raise you with Sun Kil Moon’s Benji. Definitely not derivative Springsteen/Dylan influenced
    😉

Toujours – Sabrina. Ex of Brazilian Girls. Half German half Italian living in Paris. Multilingual (hardly surprisingly).

Are We There – Sharon Van Etten. Kind of folky heart on the sleeve stuff.

Warpaint -Warpaint. American indie female band aiming at the mainstream.

Dream River – Bill Callahan. Ok, this was actually late 2013, but my most played album of 2014. IMHO probably the greatest singer/songwriter on the go at the moment.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Biggest tune of 2014

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIWjz1M7ffQ[/video]

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Biggest night of 2014

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzP1XC51kro[/video]

somafunk

Generic breakdown that I could pinpoint the minute the first bar was up, drag n’ drop pre set loops albeit compressed, in fact I’ve prob got those exact presets in NI Komplete 10, sounds like something I’d hear emanating from a river island store in a concrete dungeon shopping centre.

Most definitely not the biggest tune of 2014, all my opinion of course, your opinion obviously differs and that’s cool – were all different.

Edit : ha-ha, I thought you were serious but I now realise you were trolling, cracking!

ourmaninthenorth

quick look in Fopp

Er, you were in the centre of Manchester and chose Fopp over God’s own record shop, Piccadilly Records?

Go and sit in the corner and think about what you’ve done.

Merak

Can I just recommend an album for 2015.

The Unthanks; Mount the air. Folky goodness with haunting harmonies.

*googles Joan as policewoman*

metalheart
    Free Member

Can I just recommend an album for 2015.

In that case I’ll recommend Natalie Prass… 😀

darrell
    Free Member

“The Way” by the Buzzcocks

bl00dy marvellous

lodious
    Free Member

Joan as Policewoman is great….seen her live a few times, she is amazing. Her previous album The Deep Field is even better (IMHO).

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Going to see The War on Drugs in 2 weeks …. Fantastic album. Also agree with The Buzzcocks and catching them again in May this year

I would put up My Sad Captains ‘Best of Times’ … Slow burn but then you love it all

kennyp
    Free Member

Urge for Offal by Half Man Half Biscuit. Just as brilliant as all their other albums. “Iron age mums are haunting my cagoule”.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

+1 for The Best Day

And I’ll add The Silver Globe by Jane Weaver if anyone likes a bit of a Stereolab/Broadcast/St Etienne vibe.

dannybgoode

Err, don’t know Piccadilly Records [hangs head in shame]. Always liked Fopp when it was in Sheffield so tend to go there.

Will be sure to rectify my error and go to Piccadilly next time I’m in town.

Will check out some of the other recommendations too.

rOcKeTdOg

+1 for rival sons, very Zeppelin-esq. But I bought it in 2014 so didn’t really miss it

nasher
    Free Member

Future Islands – singles

h1jjy
    Free Member

Mine are:

Royal Blood – Royal Blood

Blitz Kids – The Good Youth

Pulled Apart By Horses – Blood

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Run the Jewels 2 is better than the first IMO.

Our Love by Caribou is good

No others spring to mind right now

misterduncan
    Free Member

Try the Timbre Timbre album from last year. It’s bloody lovely.

mark88

This thread has filled my Spotify play queue for the next couple of days!

My favourite albums of 2014
    Pup – Pup
    Karma To Burn – Arch Stanton
    The Hold Steady – Teeth Dreams
    Royal Blood – Royal Blood
    The Menzingers – Rented World
    The Gaslight Anthem – Get Hurt (not as good as their previous albums but still well worth a listen)

chillidave
    Free Member

The Twilight Sad – Nobody Wants to Be Here and Nobody Wants to Leave

A beautiful album by a superb band, all their back catalogue is worth a listen.

RustySpanner

Status Quo – Aquostic.
    Sat listening to it now and thoroughly enjoying it.

isto
    Free Member

Favourites from last year would be Spoon, Ex-Hex, Steve Gunn, Caribou, Aphex Twin, Glass Animals and Real Estate.

So far this year Sleater-Kinney and Viet Cong have been played the most.

dannybgoode

I’ll chuck in Mogwai-Rave Tapes also for those running out of stuff to listen to

teenrat

Death from above 1979 – The physical world

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqBYHrw9_ys[/video]

oldboy
    Free Member

Just bookmarked this thread and I’ll check out the albums later. Thanks guys.

isto
    Free Member

This is a good taster of the Steve Gunn album if anybody fancies a listen….they guy is amazing.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXvOc-WIKDo[/video]

CountZero

Joan as Police Woman – The Classic. Never heard of them her before but a smashing album. Starts off with a distinct 60’s Motown sound to it and then moves toward a more modern offering with just a hint of gospel to it. Vocals are strong and the lyrics excellent – highly recommend

Joan Wasser, worked with Anthony & The Johnstons, Rufus Wainwright, was the girlfriend of Jeff Buckley when he drowned.
    Brilliant artist, very nice person if you get the chance to meet her after a gig.

beaker

Bokmarking for later.

PrinceJohn

Wild Beasts – Present Taste

Broken Bells – After the Disco

Ben Howard – I Forget Where We Are

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Albums of 2014 you may have missed’ is closed to new replies.