Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Album of the year?
  • coogan
    Free Member

Only bought this album last week and can’t stop playing it. Superb.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5gPf65fUMM[/video]

scratch
    Free Member

+1 for Agent Orange, it’s really not my usual but I can’t stop listening to it.

2nd in line

binners

Another vote for first aid kit – the lions roar. Saw them live last month and they were amazing. Also Bat for Lashes – absolutely beautiful!

IanW
    Free Member

I read the last few of these threads and decided it was time for some new music.

Picked up…

First Aid Kit-The Lions Roar, Ok
    Grimes-Vision, Good
    Bobby Womack-Greatest man in the World, V Good
    Radiohead-Kid A, Brilliant (not new I know)
    Jamey Johnson-Tribute to Hank Cochrane. V Good.
    Tame Impala- Lonerism, Dont get it yet.
    Micheal Buble- Christmas Songs, seems to be getting played a lot.
    Mark Knopfler-Privateering, I like the cover.
    Frank Ocean- channel Orange, Good.
    Alabama Shakes-Boys and Girls, another I cant get into.

Probably only listened once or twice to any of these(sept MB)so they may grow on me.

pootle
    Free Member

Andrew Bird – Break It Yourself

mutley
    wooobob

Dr John – Locked Down. Produced by Dan Auerbach but for me better than any of the Black Keys albums 8)

Sandwich

Juan Zelada High ceilings and Collars. A free track on iTunes lead to an album purchase and gig tickets. A tight tuneful group.

Shak47

Neil Young – Psychedelic Pill
    Bjork – Bastards
    Band of Holy Joy – The North is Another Land

paul4stones

Some cracking answers here, keep ’em coming. Should really do this every six months 🙂

aye-aye
    Free Member

“Container Ships” by Kowloon Walled City

Listen here

muckytee
    Free Member

Baltic Fleet – Towers

Link to my favorite song from the album

scratch
    Free Member

GOAT – Worldmusic

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swOjaFXnDeA[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Good to see Andy Stott get a few votes.

My top 10 (that I can think of at the moment!)

JJ Doom – Key to the Kuffs
    Jimmy Edgar – Majenta
    Breton – Other People’s Problems
    Dinosaur Jr. – I Bet on Sky
    Brambles – Charcoal
    EL-P – Cancer 4 Cure
    Quakers – Quakers
    Lazer Sword – Memory
    B Dolan – House of Bees vol2
    Terranova – Hotel Amour

Coyote
    Free Member

Bobby Womack – Bravest Man in the Universe

Absolutely awesome.

peajay

Muse, The 2nd Law, smashing stuff!

jamj1974

Not released this year, but have played it so much – Cashier No. 9, To the Death of Fun. Tim Burgess, Oh No I Love You. Jack White, Blunderbuss..

porlus
    Free Member

For me it was Calderdales finest. Paradise lost, with tragic idol. Massively back on form.
    +1 on testament though. Saw them back on the electric crown album supporting black Sabbath with dio on vocals.

zingrock
    Free Member

Of monsters and men – my head is an animal.
    A great album which everyone loves

David guetta – nothing but the beat 2.0. This has some massive hits

My personal favourite –> Swedish House Mafia – Until Now

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I forgot about Bear In Heaven – I Love You, It’s Cool, a cracking album.

timber

Belleruche – Rollerchain, one that can be left going round and round in the car for ages.

Ben Howard and Of Monsters and Men have been good listens too.

rj
    Free Member

For me, probably Shields by Grizzly Bear or Crystal Castles III, with honourable mentions to Willis Earl Beale and Death Grips. I don’t think it’s been a particularly great year in terms of really exciting new music.

Ben Howard – Every Kingdom

Hadge
    Free Member

The Lumineers – fantastic album and a bargain at £4.99 on iTunes!

wobbem
    Free Member

After years of head under sand I have just discovered TOOL. Have become rather addicted. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Also need to add
    Seams – Tourist/Sleeper
    Eprom – Metahuman

markenduro
    Free Member

Bats for Lashes the haunted man or Dan Le Sac space between the words for me, closely followed by Ill manors by Plan B.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

“all we love we leave behind” by Converge.
    by a long way, for me.

RichPenny
    Free Member

somafunk – Member

Teetoosugars : I mean this in the best possible way but as this is an internet forum, of the written kind obviously….. it is hard to convey any inflection in my grammar but don’t take offence …….you could create that ^ in a wet afternoon using Ableton Live and a few Production sample packs, if you wish to explore a bit more then have a look through the free production software from Native Instruments/Ableton etc…Honestly!….every single beat/bar in the Hiroshi Watanabe release is from samples so please try it out for yourself – it’s not hard…honestly!.

My guess is that you’re a bitter bedroom producer with little or no success. Why else would you make such a statement? If it’s so easy why haven’t you sold as many records as he has?

Bickering aside, my vote goes to Alt-J as well. Looking forward to buying a few of the albums on this thread, definitely having that Actress one.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Artistic integrity?

Some people are happy to make anything in the hope of making it big. Others such as myself would rather try to make some new, different and quality, and not worry about how many records it will sell because it’s popular.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Have you perhaps considered that his music is what he enjoys making and he’s fortunate in that lots of other people like it?

Lets have a listen to your new, different and quality music please. I’m a big fan of bizarre stuff so I’d probably like it 🙂

somafunk

PooPenny : I did have a long response written out but i thought “why the **** should i care or respond’ so i deleted it,

No…I’m not a bitter bedroom DJ/producer, although i do have a very nice set-up thank you very much and if i felt that way inclined i could point you to my releases on Beatport/Juno etc but i’m not about to wave my exceedingly large “william” on the forum, I have a more “economic” interest in Electronic music and enjoy putting on festivals/events and suchlike but i can produce a pretty good sounding release when i have the time, imo of course 😉 , therefore i feel i may have a valid point to make regarding the extensive use of samplepacks in the aformentioned “Hiroshi Watanabe” album but as you have appointed yourself the title of moderator for this thread i’ll withdraw my statement and gracefully eject myself from this thread.

Here’s a wee vid from one our festivals two years ago, slow to start but worth it, Utah Saints, and Loops of Fury (from brisbane) are ace, brilliant laugh as well but Max Loops can’t hold his drink…nor smoke in the slightest – that bit was cut from my vid seeing as i posted it online.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPTu7rMJERA[/video]

Check out our headline act Rektchordz(jamie), he could hardly stand up as you can see in the vid at one point but when it came to his set at 4am he played a blinder. I’ve got loads more vids n’ pics of various other gigs n sets including a very amusing one of Darren Emerson from last year but i doubt Jemma (his gf) would be very chuffed wi me if i posted it on a public forum so i’m just gonna let you win this one.

G’d night all….safe journey home folks….see you next year…bigger n’ better 😀

bigad40
    Free Member

ben folds five.
    The sound of the life of the mind.
    The good lady in my life treated me to seeing them live at Brixton academy on my birthday.
    The best live performance I have ever seen.
    Amazing!
    Bought the cd after the concert, and love it.

white101

Richard Hawley
    First aid kit
    Bat for lashes
    Haven’t heard all the cat power album, but I liked a single she had recently
    Fieldmusic
    Jim Jones revue (has got Beth ortons brother in the band)
    Liked the recent beth orton single, never really listened to her before
    jake bugg
    alabama shakes

somafunk

Forgot the two vids…..DOH!.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5sL9oxr6dw[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcS9VktSXPg[/video]

Not my vids but a mate who’s played for us a few times – Simon Shackleton aka Elite Force

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Lets have a listen to your new, different and quality music please. I’m a big fan of bizarre stuff so I’d probably like it

Here you go, please bear in mind I only started in June, but I’ve got a few ‘celebrity’ fans. To quote Colin Dale the other day “Sublime! This really is Futura…..love it.” 😀

xherbivorex
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrcY9I-BbjM[/video]

wordnumb
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMAlbjD9ZAA[/video]

ptun74
    Free Member

White101. Agree with most of yours. Grimes/visions also excellent. Jack White and his lady band was fab too. Cat Power really underrated as an act

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Album of the year?’ is closed to new replies.